JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

‘Justice for Trayvon’: Audio released of DOJ member urging action against George Zimmerman

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3921 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jul/11/justice-trayvon-audio-released-doj-member-urging-a/#.Ud8vj1DmMpU.twitter

The legal watchdog Judicial Watch released an audio recording Thursday of a Department of Justice staffer urging Sanford, Fla., city officials and the minority advocacy group Dream Defenders to seek justice for Trayvon Martin, because “if a community perceives that there’s something wrong in the black community, there’s something wrong.”

CRS is an arm of the department that we call the Peacemakers,” Thomas Battles, regional director of the DOJ's Community Relations Service, said at a meeting at the Shiloh Church on April 19, 2012. “We work with communities where there is real or perceived racial tensions.”

“…When Trayvon happened, for many of us, it was the proverbial straw that broke the camel’s back,” he continued. “We had grown up in a state and environment where race is a way of life … We’re not from Sanford, but what Sanford represented to us was the very real problems going around this state and this country. We wanted to figure out how could we stand in solidarity, and how could we make this about not just justice for Trayvon, but using this moment and using the opportunity to honor his memory, to honor his spirit by working to bring down the various structures and the various systems that allow something like this to happen.”

It was reported Wednesday, according to documents obtained through the Freedom of Information Act, that from March 25 to April 12, CRS spent roughly $5,000 upon being deployed to Sanford to work marches, demonstrations, and rallies “related to the shooting and death of an African-American teen by a neighborhood watch captain.”

The findings, Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton said, “detail the extraordinary intervention by the Justice Department in the pressure campaign leading to the prosecution of George Zimmerman. My guess is that most Americans would rightly object to taxpayers paying government employees to help organize racially-charged demonstrations.”

Oh my goodness why? In the scheme of things, this is pretty innocent. But then, it is the way of the governments. This is why we keep separate from all this. If I could, I would hunker down, turn the news off, and pretty well get it from the Society. I know. Even Jehovah's organization encourages us to be aware of current events to a certain extent. To be able to talk intelligently and caring to our neighbors. But I get more then my fair dose. I am not the master of the tv in this home.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

Well

Oh my goodness why? In the scheme of things, this is pretty innocent. But then, it is the way of the governments. This is why we keep separate from all this. If I could, I would hunker down, turn the news off, and pretty well get it from the Society. I know. Even Jehovah's organization encourages us to be aware of current events to a certain extent. To be able to talk intelligently and caring to our neighbors. But I get more then my fair dose. I am not the master of the tv in this home.

Well Bea,

You actually are the master here,  don't have to read it :)

The reason why I continued posting for this topic was from Jerry's comments on things that seem to just disappear from the news and he mentioned Trayvon Martin.

Much Love,

Jordan

You are so very right brother. It was a general opinion. And please, this was not a, "scold". I did not say what I first thought. Trying to neutral. Not easy. Sally forth, brother!

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

You are so very right brother. It was a general opinion. And please, this was not a, "scold". I did not say what I first thought. Trying to neutral. Not easy. Sally forth, brother!

So true and well said. It's very upsetting to me to see what's happening so quickly in the world today - I need a break from it, the world that is... :) Praying daily that Father cleans this mess up soon .. please father help us endure.

A reminder to all of us. How do we valuie liife? This will be dicuss in the Pioneer Book next month at the school. Neutrality is role we should display in this Satans divided world too.

.... and of course if you didn't have guns this young man would still be alive.

Why get involved. .. its satans wicked world

I don't know about that really, if someone wants to kill someone there going to find a way to do it. They can do that any number of ways, knife, car, baseball bat. I know in some countries they use baseball bats and just burn the bat after the crime has been committed, leaves no evidence and the victim is just as dead as if they used a gun. I think it made it easier in this case but the real problem is , as you pointed out, in the hearts of men in Satan's system of things.

Edited by Jordan

Wait, all of Satan's organizations to cause riots and upheaval are going to go after blood,  people protesting "racial prejudice"  all around the country, over this local offense.  In my town, last week in broad daylight, I heard that 8 people got shot.  (no one died) And no one said it "racially charged".  Just goes to show who the ruler of this world really is, and how the prophecy in Daniel (about the iron and the clay) fit in.  I heard protestors of both races, wanting to seek a civil lawsuit, not by their own means, but by getting the government agencies involved.   Its almost like Satan is turning against himself, since he's the ruler of the kingdoms of the earth. 

Wait, all of Satan's organizations to cause riots and upheaval are going to go after blood,  people protesting "racial prejudice"  all around the country, over this local offense.  In my town, last week in broad daylight, I heard that 8 people got shot.  (no one died) And no one said it "racially charged".  Just goes to show who the ruler of this world really is, and how the prophecy in Daniel (about the iron and the clay) fit in.  I heard protestors of both races, wanting to seek a civil lawsuit, not by their own means, but by getting the government agencies involved.   Its almost like Satan is turning against himself, since he's the ruler of the kingdoms of the earth. 

I'm reading a ton of politically and racially motivated protests and comments right now that are simply amazing - it's surreal like I'm on another planet (which shouldn't surprise anyone) :)

Look at these headlines:

Teen threatens 'mass homicide' on TWITTER...

NY Giants Star: 'Zimmerman Doesn't Last a Year Before the Hood Catches Up to Him'...

Beyonce holds moment of silence at concert...

AP REPORTER: 'SO WE CAN ALL KILL TEENAGERS NOW?'

Sharpton: 'Slap in the Face'...

Even going after the Jury --  Will jury remain anonymous?

This world is so insane...

Why get involved. .. its Satan's wicked world

It's all fine and good to see this stuff in the news and comment on it and say things like "We cannot get involved" or "Why should we keep up with things like this?"

While it is true, we need to remain neutral, a point made in today's Watchtower lesson, here in Florida this is more than "just a news article". It is on the minds of those in our territory. It is something we should be prepared to comment on in the ministry.

We still do not take sides or "get involved", but we do need to be prepared with some knowledge of what is being reported - at least here in Florida, we do.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

So, then,  Trayvon got justice, right?   :pistols::devil2::peace:

I don't think that's what Jerry was implying, Shawn.  Just making a statement.

The only people who know what really happened are Jehovah, George Zimmerman, and Trayvon Martin.  As to the latter two, I think  both of them could have handled the situation differently.  It's sad all the way around.  There are no winners here.

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

Seems the mainstream media convicted Zimmerman before the trial even started.  The issues surrounding the case surely appears to have been manipulated by various media groups turning the Zimmerman trial into nothing more than a political issue.

Edited by Mei

All that man's courts can give is judgement... Justice is a heavenly quality...

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

...  here in Florida this is more than "just a news article". It is on the minds of those in our territory. It is something we should be prepared to comment on in the ministry.

so true. while visiting sisters today in asst living, folks there were talking about it, their sad faces & confused minds glued to the news story.

been placing w13 6/1 everywhere possible past few days... parking lots, gas stations... ask them if they want to know God's view then read them pg 8:

"Jehovah sees one race. The human race."

so far all have accepted it. some even say "thank you".

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening..." ~ Malachi 3:16

It's interesting that Zimmerman was a Democrat, voted for Obama, tutored black kids, brought a black girl to his prom, has relatives who are black and launched a campaign to help a homeless black man who was beaten up by a white kid, but wont see that on the MSM. It's a very sad story, the world is an ignorant place.

Feet of clay and iron, soon...

Edited by Jordan

That one was a manslayer when he began, and he did not stand fast in the truth,

John 8:44 b

So sad.... From the founding of the world .. We have an evil antagonist .. Who delights to see men sink to the lowest common denominator... Namely a reflection of the original manslayer ... All for the sake of an act of idolatry ...

Well they are sure copying their god now... satan's way has no winners ....only losers....

Sad.....

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

so true. while visiting sisters today in asst living, folks there were talking about it, their sad faces & confused minds glued to the news story.

been placing w13 6/1 everywhere possible past few days... parking lots, gas stations... ask them if they want to know God's view then read them pg 8:

"Jehovah sees one race. The human race."

so far all have accepted it. some even say "thank you".

Great idea to give out the w13 6/1 out.  In fact, I think a great way to tie in last month's Watchtower on Prejudice is to make a return visit and give them the Awake mag for 7/1 on Protest.  I don't live in FL, but there are anti-violence/justice rallys and demonstrations going on in NJ/NY area.

While it is important that we remain neutral, like someone else mentioned, we still need to know what is going on in the news in order to apply it to our ministry.  In the wake of this Trayvon Martin trial, has anyone had any interesting conversations regarding "Is Protest the Answer" mag?

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)