JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

anyone into Sweet Potatoes?

LUV sweet potatoes! :eat:

post-3346-0-76851900-1378404315.jpg <--  here is one of my favorite, sweet potato crisps

would love to hear your ideas & recipes for those who enjoy sweet potatoes :)

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening..." ~ Malachi 3:16

I looooove sweet potatoes. Sadly most of my kids don't , so I don't make them as often as I wish.

I like to make them just like mashed potatoes but also add some carrots.

I also like slicing them and roasting them in the oven, sprinkled with chili powder.

Those are my two favorite ways.

Jasmin sounds yummy! :)

sweet pot with carrot... vit A big time!

where I grew up, we had them baked with marshmallows...

I favor them sliced & roasted also

or grated with rosemary, parm & egg whites shown above

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

MMmmmm cinnamon YUM! :)

topped with corn flakes... good idea :thumbsup: i like it!

yes, grate the pots, add ingredients, bake til golden- 

grating them is the hard part (ouch the knuckles)

wish I could get that really fast blender thingy the

sisters talk about... mega bullet...? shake-a-bullet?

it costs $100 New <-- another 'ouch'

Renee can you find those on EBay?

Some times I have seen them advertise at Reject shops for 50.

I bake the sweet potato. They are meant to be Low Gi.

Bake with pumpkin and onions.

I do a mash also. Butter milk pepper and salt.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Jasmin sounds yummy! :)or grated with rosemary, parm & egg whites shown above

That sounds and looks delicious.

I made something like that yesterday with regular potatoes. I used my food processor.

I fried them in the skillet. I don't use much oil, but I'll have to try baking them.

Edited by star-bug

thank you Gabe, good idea on Ebay... will try there :)

yes low GI rating, keeps blood sugar levels from spiking

share sweet potatoes with my Jack Russell too, she loves them

would like to take them as a snack in ministry...

anyone know something fun for sweet potatoes-on-the-go?

think I'll try making sweet potato chips

Sweet Potato Souffle topped with marshmellows and pecans is the most delicious dish in the world! You can make as sweet and gooey or healthy as you like here are the basics:

3 cups mashed sweet potatoes
1 cup sugar or splenda
1/3 cup butter, melted
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla or cardomon
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup heavy cream, half and half, or almond milk

Topping:

1 cup brown sugar or stevia
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1/3 cup all-purpose flour if you like
1 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
Mix together with fork; sprinkle over top of casserole.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix all ingredients together except for cream.
Beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Add cream and mix well.
Pour into oiled casserole dish ( 1 1/2 quarts). Add topping. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes

add a cup or two of miniature marshmellows at about 25 mins

Renee I have made sweet potato chips I thinly sliced sweet potatoes and add a little safflower oil and a bit of salt in a glass microwavable dish place in  microwave about 10 minutes until crispy or brown and enjoy! These treats are like candy from Jehovah God.

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be pleasing to you, O Jehovah, my Rock and my Redeemer."

Venus your recipe sounds scrumptuous :D

will try the microwave chips- seems quite simple, thanks so much!

we make dried apples & peaches using a dehydrator

for ministry snacks... wonder how dehydrated sweet potatoes would do?

tried making microwave sweet potato chips for ministry this wk

... after 10 min, they came out soft,

and they shrunk a LOT! they're so tiny! 

my micro is not a high power- perhaps dehydrator will do better

more recipes appreciated! :) esp cold recipes

thank you sisters :flowers:

I would love to grow some I love them :)

Grumpy grew some last year and they were sooooooooo good. We got one that weighted 9.8 lbs. It was good all the way through. We mostly cook them by cutting them into cubes about 1 inch and tossing them with black pepper, salt and olive oil, then baking them in the oven until they are done. (Fork tested.) This years garden was drowned with excessive rain.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Oh my Renee it sounds like you did not slice them thinly enough. I sometimes use a potato peeler to slice them. I buy the very fat ones and slice them very thinly. Be creative with your microwave watch them perhaps yours should cook longer. They should come out very crispy lightly browned and very satisfying. And now I remember getting this recipe and other healthy snacks from doctor Oz's site.

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be pleasing to you, O Jehovah, my Rock and my Redeemer."

thank you all for more recipe ideas :D

Venus they did come out sliced pretty thin yet you are prob right

about not cooking long enough... 

will check out Oz' site for more sweet potato recipes, thanks! :)

This is the sweet potato casserole I make every year, during the fall / winter months.  I only make it very rarely because it has sooooooo many calories in it!  lol!

Yummy Sweet Potato Casserole

Prep Time: 30 Minutes

Cook Time: 30 Minutes

Ready In: 1 Hour

Servings: 12

Ingredients:

4 cups sweet potato, cubed

1/2 cup white sugar

2 eggs, beaten

1/2 teaspoon salt

4 tablespoons butter, softened

1/2 cup milk

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1/3 cup all-purpose flour

3 tablespoons butter, softened

1/2 cup chopped pecans

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Put sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan with water to cover. Cook over medium high heat until tender; drain and mash. (F.Y.I.: I bake them in the oven, same as a reg. potato, They have more flavor than boiling)! 

2. In a large bowl, mix together the sweet potatoes, white sugar, eggs, salt, butter, milk and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth. Transfer to a 9x13 inch baking dish.

3. In medium bowl, mix the brown sugar and flour. Cut in the butter until the mixture is coarse. Stir in the pecans. Sprinkle the mixture over the sweet potato mixture.

4. Bake in the preheated oven 30 minutes, or until the topping is lightly brown.

Edited by Holly

That sounds very sweet, and Grumpy and I are not too much into sweet things for meals, but I love sweet potatoes nearly any way I have ever cooked them. Sometimes just in the microwave with a little butter. So good and also good for you. I have read that they are so good for you that if that's all you had to eat, you could survive for quite a while.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I have this great recipe for Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes. 

6 Sweet potatoes (Scrubbed) Even in size

4 Tablespoons Brown Sugar

4 Tablespoons Butter (RoomTemperature)

1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon

1/4 tsp. Ground Nutmeg

1/4 tsp. Ground Ginger

A pinch of Salt & Pepper

4 oz. Cream Cheese

Directions:  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Place sweet potatoes on cookie sheet and bake for 1 hour or until soft.

Remove from oven & let stand until cool enough to handle.

Split potatoes & remove  the flesh to a medium size bowl (save skin).

In another bowl add brown sugar, butter and cream cheese and all of the spices and mash with a fork.  Add mixture to skins put back in the oven bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

That sounds very sweet, and Grumpy and I are not too much into sweet things for meals, but I love sweet potatoes nearly any way I have ever cooked them. Sometimes just in the microwave with a little butter. So good and also good for you. I have read that they are so good for you that if that's all you had to eat, you could survive for quite a while.

It is sweet, however, you can add less sugar.  It is almost a dessert instead of a side-dish!  If you like sweet potato pie and pecan pie, it is a combo flavor.... it is sooooo good..... soooo bad for you...... soooo, only make it once or twice a year!  lol!

wow. that's loaded.

all the good stuff I stay away from- butter, sugar, flour...  :(

maybe will take it to next hospitality, let others enjoy it :yes:

looks tasty,

:) thanks Holly

Haha, funny I saw this thread today and I just had baked sweet potatoes last night... Yep! Love them so much! I loooove sweet potato pie. I also like sweet potato casserole with the marshmallows on top, though my mother never really made it and it is a thing you have when you go to gatherings and a sister makes it :)