JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What do you do for a living?

Just curious and makes for a liesurely general topic.

I am a tile and marble setter by trade, and sometimes that translates into complete kitchen and bath remodeling. I am grouting a backsplash today, but am letting my helper do most of the work while I play on the computer ;). About to go to the Home Depot for something in a moment though.

For 10 years I have actually really enjoyed what I do. But this last year I saw my first knee trouble, and currently am trying to deal with some tendonitis in my elbow. I am wondering if it is time to think about a career change of sorts.

So, what do you do for a living?

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

By trade I am a qualified Radiocommunications Technician, formerly specializing in Ship to Shore comms, QRM and frequency management. I went for a career change about 6 years ago after 22 years of radio, and I am now an owner farmer, growing Poultry and Cattle, breeding and growing Swine, and running a small farm butchery which supplies direct to the householder.

So Bob its never too late to do something completely different. That you raised the topic means you must be thinking about it :) Of course the grass is not always greener on the other side.

I have been a stay at home mom for almost 5 years, but I am going back to work in Jan at my old company. I will be handling medical records requests at doctors offices. I hate going back to work, but with this economy I don't have a choice. I will only be working 10 hrs a week to start and gradually getting up to 20. Fortunately I don't have to work full time. My husband makes a good living, but things like food and gas just keep going up in price.

Because of health problems I have been on sickness benefit for the last five years...

but before that I have done clerical/office/webdesign...sales/shop work...graphic design and floristry(flower arranging)...

I left school at 15(was chucked out)...married at 17.....daughter at 18 and son at 21...I have no qualifications as such...but I love learning...

can't wait for the new system...where all work will be meaningful and enjoyable...:sunshine:

I have had many jobs....which probably doesn't look very good on a CV :lol1:

until recently I worked as a saddle fitter (horses), previously I was a ghost writer to a well know yachting author.....a window dresser, shop assistant, Groom to Jane Seymour....a Jack of all trades really and definitely not master to any off them :perplexed:

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

I am a retired Cement Mason. The Meniscus in my both knees tore 5 years ago so I took a `55 and out' retirement option my union offered. Good for them and good for me. It gives me a stable income and a lot of time for field service.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

I am a 4th generation Painter. I use to paint custom houses (interior only). I became disabled 2 years ago. I really miss painting. Loved It! Became disabled doing to much lifting. Have to lift 2 5's at a time to be balanced but that is 110lbs. and doing that constantly and being a woman, takes it's toll on a body. Been trying to get my Social Security Disability for 2 yrs. What a pain. 4 Dr's say I am disabled, but still having to deal with Satan's system... :o(

Since living in Australia, I been largely self employed doing computer training, site support, installations.

For the past 2 years, I've been working for a local training company delivering development and computer training in a prison environment.

It's been interesting!

i used to be a corporate receptionist, then i transferred to medical receptionist. now i am a carer for my mum who is both physically and mentally disabled, younger brother who has aspergus and occasionally my grandparents one of which has cancer. i am also studying to be a nautropath whilst doing what i can for the brothers and sisters. im currently updating the phone and letter writing database and preparing illustrations for some of the elders to use in talks. (tu):scooter:

but i wouldnt trade my current work for that of working in the world. its more rewarding and beneficial.

I am working in a cheese factory close to 4 years now. exporting importing but not making it. we have about 4OO cheeses from all over the world.

many people are surprised that i dont really know the names of the cheeses. true but we are storing them buy numbers. therefore what you might call gorgonzola I call 2219. I would like to mention one thing about my job. recently the management has cancelled my nightshift and they put me to work afternoon which would not allow me to attend the meetings at all. I told my boss that therefore I quit. then the director has called me in.

He was saying that they want to keep me, and if I have a car he would let me go to the meetings if I come back to work right after! I was simply amazed.

There is so unusual actually in my congregation nobody has ever heard about anything like that in denmark that someone gets free from work because of his religion. Thank you Jehovah God! you have the power and the honor..

I've been a manager in different food service businesses, a secretary, and even been a systems administrator (computer & network technician) for a large multi-state plant nursery but now because of my husband's V.A benefits I'm paid to go to college full-time. At least for another year & a half anyway.

I work for a company that makes the equipment used in bottle manufacturing and packaging. If you have ever used shampoo, mouthwash, laundry detergent, wine, or anything else from a bottle, it may very well have passed along our equipment at some point. We run lean, very few people, so I wear a lot of different hats. It's quite interesting and challenging.

My first job was working at an Orange Juice factory, but got canned I couldn't concentrate.

Then I worked in the woods as a Lumber Jack, but I couldn't hack it, so they gave me the axe.

After that, I tried to be a Tailor, but I just wasn't suited for it- mainly because it was a sew-sew job.

Next, I tried working in a Muffler Factory, but that was to exhausting.

Then, I tried to be a Chef figured it would add a little spice to my life, but I just didn't have the thyme.

I attempted to be a Deli Work, but any way I sliced it I couldn't cut the mustard.

My best job was a Musician, but eventually I found I wasn't noteworthy.

I studied a long time to become a Doctor, but I didn't have any patience.

Next, was a job in a Shoe Factory, I tried but I just didn't fit in.

I became a Professional Fisherman, but discovered that I couldn't live on my net income.

I managed to get a good job working for a Pool Maintenance Company but the work was to draining.

So then I got a job in a Workout Center, but they said I wasn't fit for the job.

After many years of trying to find steady work, I finally got a job as a Historian until I realized there was no future in it.

My last job was working in Starbucks, but I had to quit because it was always the same old grind.

No I hope you are all LOL.

I work as a Painter/ Paper hanger at the MGM Grand Hotel, in Las Vegas, NV.

Rich Barr

My first job was working at an Orange Juice factory, but got canned I couldn't concentrate.

Then I worked in the woods as a Lumber Jack, but I couldn't hack it, so they gave me the axe.

After that, I tried to be a Tailor, but I just wasn't suited for it- mainly because it was a sew-sew job.

Next, I tried working in a Muffler Factory, but that was to exhausting.

Then, I tried to be a Chef figured it would add a little spice to my life, but I just didn't have the thyme.

I attempted to be a Deli Work, but any way I sliced it I couldn't cut the mustard.

My best job was a Musician, but eventually I found I wasn't noteworthy.

I studied a long time to become a Doctor, but I didn't have any patience.

Next, was a job in a Shoe Factory, I tried but I just didn't fit in.

I became a Professional Fisherman, but discovered that I couldn't live on my net income.

I managed to get a good job working for a Pool Maintenance Company but the work was to draining.

So then I got a job in a Workout Center, but they said I wasn't fit for the job.

After many years of trying to find steady work, I finally got a job as a Historian until I realized there was no future in it.

My last job was working in Starbucks, but I had to quit because it was always the same old grind.

No I hope you are all LOL.

I work as a Painter/ Paper hanger at the MGM Grand Hotel, in Las Vegas, NV.

Rich Barr

This is TOO funny! Hope you don't mind if I share this, I know some folks who will get a big laugh.

Richard , my brother in law is a paper hanger too in Vegas. Wondering if u know him. My email is email removed If u want to know who he is let me know.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

{{Richard, if you want her email address, send me a PM. Please use the PM feature to correspond privately and perhaps exchange email addresses at your own risk. Please do not post them on the public board. - Bob}}