JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What do you do for a living?

I actually can't wait for pioneer school in August. My first time and my wife's second - we get to go together. She has been a big support. It would have been that much harder without her.

She has been really good at helping me stay focused & on having a good schedule and sticking with it! That seems to be the ey. And yes, the more you do for Jehovah the more he blesses. I'll tell you more after the convention ;)

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I'm self-employed as a freelance graphic designer, which allows me time to Cont. Aux. Pioneer (although you won't be able to tell it from this month's report. sheesh.)

I graduated high school in 1990 and started working for a local newspaper and regular pioneered. I went full-time at the newspaper in 1994. I've worked for 4 daily newspapers doing page-layout, graphic design, illustration, and advertising make-up. Since 2007 I've been self-employed as a freelance graphic designer working from home.

Among the things I design that are of note are Invitations (weddings, baby showers, parties, high school graduations, you name it), flyers/programs (funeral programs, weddings, etc...) keepsake artwork/posters, etc... as well as business related designs such as business cards, flyers, brochures, advertising.

And I offer discounts to my friends ;)

On the subject of work (and not being sure if I should make a new thread for this), does anyone work fulltime (approximately 40 hours or more per week) and is a regular pioneer? I'm thinking about doing this, and would like input from others who have done or are doing this. My teachers (a couple) did this for about 1.5 years and they tell me it's very tough but is doable, especially with Jehovah's help. Thanks!

A brother I knew was an elder, owned and operated 2 businesses, had half a dozen bible studies going at a time in the evenings at his home, was on the RBC and was the Circuit Assembly overseer and something on the DC level as well, and more. People wondered if he slept at all.

He did alot of early morning Saturdays, Sunday after meetings, and took Wednesday's off to pioneer all day. He would start at 6am and go until he dropped at 9 or 10pm at night. And I mean drop. I was his last Bible student of the night for awhile, and oftentimes it would end with him being passed out and I would just leave his house :)

He sold his businesses to some of his employees and stays on part time now, so his load is a little lighter these days.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

So my husband and I are the owner of the Lakota Creek Ranch in the near of Munich / Germany. The Ranch have the aim of revitalising the natural link between horse and rider rather than the countless other riding and training methods.

Our way of Indian riding is an attitude that is indendet to leas again towards respect of the earth and creation.

By the way I am a secretary in a lawyer office for three days in the week and I'm a mom of three children, 4 Mouses, 1 Rabbit, 1 Dog, 8 Horses, and since yesterday a little baby-bird, that was fallen down out of his home..... and not forget I'm a wife of a cowboy...:scared:

• 1 month later...

I was dx in 2005 with a pseudo brain tumor due to toxic exposure from living in an oil field. We moved to OK 2 years ago and my husband (nonbeliever) bought a lounge. It is very stressful but I am praying to Jehovah and trying to turn it into a grill with a bar instead of a full time bar. I am an excellent cook--not bragging just stating a fact--we all have a special talent. I worked as a nurse prior to my dx because the condition harmed certain areas of my brain--language skills and horrible memory now. Words are a particular problem for me--sometimes I say things that sound similiar and it can be very humiliating for all within earshot. Once quoted a scripture from Gentials instead of Genesis. Everyone HORRIFIED! I have worked mostly as a nurse but currently work part time cooking. I love to cook for friends and family but not so much for people who act badly.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Susan i cant wait for the bew system,we had the c.o 2 months ago and on sunday he gave a talk on'youths what will you do witj your life?'.he said forgoing some of the things we have passion for and pioneer or even serve Jehovah in any other way in this system is worth it bacause we have the new system to live our dreams,so that was such an encouragement to me cause i have always wanted to work in a media house as a news anchor;)!But i decided to regular pioneer as i work on my long term goal of becoming a special pioneer. Then new system i will have an opportunity to even own a media house :D!!!Another bro in our congregation who is a regular pioneer too loves music so he told me he will have a music program in my media house!!!isn't that awesome?

Anyone else who wants air time?hurry while it lasts!!!!lol:*

Then new system i will have an opportunity to even own a media house :D!!!Another bro in our congregation who is a regular pioneer too loves music so he told me he will have a music program in my media house!!!isn't that awesome?

Anyone else who wants air time?hurry while it lasts!!!!lol:*

Sure! My hard rock band will be interested in some air time then :P

I like talk radio, and think it would be a fun job to have.

I always wanted a restaurant also. Perhaps in the new system I'll start "Paradise Steak & Rib's" :)-D

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

So I had to come back and give an update because it just worked out too awesome. So basically my wife and I had been praying daily over our situation, and waiting patiently, nothing actually happened for a few months, however we kept increasing our field service. I actually got used to going out during the week one or two days and that really helped boost my hours and my joy. We reached a point where we had a certain calmness that can only come from Jehovah even though we were tight financially.

Also, that big job at that huge company didn't pan out. They ended up having to have a hiring freeze due to the economy and couldn't bring me on. Meanwhile, a job I basically turned down recently called me up and asked if they could talk to me to see what they could do to see what my train of thought was on what I was looking for and see if they could possibly help convince me to accept their job.

I explained that the main reason I was hesitant about there offer was that their location was so far away and that I was enjoying my volunteer work through my congregation and other volunteer opportunities that come up etc.. Basically I was enjoying the full flexibility in my schedule that allowed me to focus on Jehovah. Then came the kicker that caught me totally off guard. The person I was speaking to immediately cut me off and said: "OH! I completely apologize if during the interview we led you to believe this job wasn't flexible. I don't care when you work or come or go, as long as you are meeting your deadlines." I was so floored I actually had to ask again if he really did mean that I can work when I want because I was in disbelief. He was completely on board with giving me the flexibility that I had been enjoying while I was unemployed, but now I could keep that flexibility AND be employed. I took the job and that person is now my boss. Not only that, but I work from home.

Currently I'm on my initial 30 day try-out, and if they think I'm a good fit, I come on as a regular employee. Not only is this job giving me flexibility, it's paying me more than I've been paid at previous jobs, and has a nicer benefits (health, dental etc..). I will still have to put up with my wrists and stuff hurting, but beggars can't be choosers. The benefits will help me get my wrists sorted out with a simple doctor visit out patient carpal tunnel treatment (when they kick in) and I get to choose my office configuration because it's in my own home, which gives me all the control on my ergonomic needs.

Jehovah certainly provided my family with an answer to our incessant prayers! It truly reminds me of this week's Bible Reading. King David from his youth onward learned to rely on Jehovah, and wait patiently on him.

Here's my earlier story from this same thread for those that haven't seen it:

I'm a Web Designer/Developer/Administrator by trade. I've been doing it for almost 13 years now and my arms/wrists hurt badly, so like Dismal_Bliss I'm looking for some sort of career change (if possible) in this system. I've done the self-employment thing and working for someone else and I'm really trying hard to figure out some sort of arrangement to work for myself again at home (if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears) as I am really craving to have a fuller share in Jehovah's service and am ready to spend as less time as possible around worldly people in the workplace. The only worldly people I want to be around anymore are people I meet in the ministry.

I recently became unemployed, but I currently have a pending opportunity at a major well known company that would pay extremely well. I am struggling with my decision on this job because of a few issues: the commute would be quite a long drive through heavy traffic (more time away from family), and the higher pay I fear will make it a lot easier to think about materialistic things (potential to lose focus on the more important things), plus the fact that my hands/wrists are begging me to stop, and I'm in a short-window where if I make the right decision I could dramatically increase my share in Jehovah's service if my circumstances align closely enough.

But alas 1 Tim. 5:8, so I keep on keeping on, biding my time praying and waiting on Jehovah's will and seeing where his direction leads me.

So I had to come back and give an update

Thank you for this update. It gives me more hope and focus. My husband may be losing his job because of 3 rotator cuff tears (2 surgeries) all work related. We're unsure what he'll be able to do for work and hoping to pioneer together. The biggest concern is health insurance.

Your experience show again, Jehovah is not short handed and provides so well for those who put him first.

Thank you so much for your sharing and encouragement.

Thank you for this update. It gives me more hope and focus. My husband may be losing his job because of 3 rotator cuff tears (2 surgeries) all work related. We're unsure what he'll be able to do for work and hoping to pioneer together. The biggest concern is health insurance.

Your experience show again, Jehovah is not short handed and provides so well for those who put him first.

Thanks! It's really awesome to see Jehovah at work in our lives isn't it? That he really does care for each and every single one of us, and knows us each personally by name! I will pray for you and your husband too, for him to help guide and bless you both.

I recently became unemployed, but I currently have a pending opportunity at a major well known company that would pay extremely well. I am struggling with my decision on this job because of a few issues: the commute would be quite a long drive through heavy traffic (more time away from family), and the higher pay I fear will make it a lot easier to think about materialistic things (potential to lose focus on the more important things), plus the fact that my hands/wrists are begging me to stop, and I'm in a short-window where if I make the right decision I could dramatically increase my share in Jehovah's service if my circumstances align closely enough.

But alas 1 Tim. 5:8, so I keep on keeping on, biding my time praying and waiting on Jehovah's will and seeing where his direction leads me.

This is so wonderful, So you put Jehovah to the test, seeking the kingdom first! --Jehovah is true to his word!(tu)

Visit my website: www.Hcgessentials.com

Growth Demands Change!

This is so wonderful, So you put Jehovah to the test, seeking the kingdom first! --Jehovah is true to his word!(tu)

Indeed he is. Isaiah 55:11 Jehovah says his word won't return to him without results, and results he definitely provided. :-)

Thanks! It's really awesome to see Jehovah at work in our lives isn't it? That he really does care for each and every single one of us, and knows us each personally by name! I will pray for you and your husband too, for him to help guide and bless you both.

We appreciate your kindness and thoughtfulness

I will still have to put up with my wrists and stuff hurting, but beggars can't be choosers. The benefits will help me get my wrists sorted out with a simple doctor visit out patient carpal tunnel treatment (when they kick in) and I get to choose my office configuration because it's in my own home, which gives me all the control on my ergonomic needs.

Jehovah certainly provided my family with an answer to our incessant prayers! It truly reminds me of this week's Bible Reading. King David from his youth onward learned to rely on Jehovah, and wait patiently on him.

Joseph, please continue to look to Jehovah to help. I wanted to relay to you a possible "cure" for carpel tunnel syndrome that my chiropractor gave me that worked wonders for me so that surgery was NOT needed! Get a rubber band (not very big but maybe 2 inches around - like the ones they put around rolled up newspapers). Now take your fingers and put them all together (not a fist - fingers are stretched out like you are doing a "dinosaur" with your hand). Put the rubber band around the lower part of your fingers around the first digits, point the fingers down toward the ground for safety, and then try to open your fingers up against the rubber band just a little. Don't strain to actually open them up and break the rubber band but do it about 10 times. Do this several times a day. It somehow affects the muscles going into the wrist so that it is like it "opens up" the holes in our wrist bones where they cause swelling and terrible pain. This has been an easy, no-cost way for me to cure myself! It also worked for my sister too, who also suffered with it!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, Rosalie, for the tip. My husband suffers from tendonitis and carpal tunnel. This just might help!

I too have had many jobs. My favorites were in the legal field. I've worked for an attorney and was a courtroom clerk in Superior Court while still in California (USA). Moved to TN (USA) and worked in manufacturing and again a law office. Didn't much care for that job because the attorney I worked for was difficult to work for. I now work with the mentally and physically challenged in a residential setting. I've been doing this kind of work for the past 9 years (in October). I've enjoyed it mostly. It's been rewarding knowing I make a difference in someone's life. Am out on medical now and am seriously thinking of not going back. It's a challenging job and I feel "burned out" as the saying goes. Plus, my body is telling me I'm not a kid anymore but I don't know if I would be able to go out on disability (either state or federal). I've asked Jehovah to help me with this decision. I do plan to learn to witness by phone and letter. Time will tell.

When I got real sick and I was having problems getting my time in I ask the c.o. if I should quit and this was his answer, Never quit pioneering let Jehovah lay you off, then you still have all the benefits.

I gotta remember that.

CO's always have a quiver of priceless comments like this.

When I got real sick and I was having problems getting my time in I ask the c.o. if I should quit and this was his answer, Never quit pioneering let Jehovah lay you off, then you still have all the benefits.

i'll have to make a mental note of this.

Visit my website: www.Hcgessentials.com

Growth Demands Change!