Post a picture... Any picture
72 72

6,413 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Loopy said:

Our lady pilot wasn't all that communicating with us. Finally she says we have to go back to the terminal something's not right.

Yup, I hate it when you forget to use the bathroom before a long trip...:scared:

Loopy likes this

20 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

snails.png.a5d1bd6f0019b947e3130cb06baae5c5.png

#8 Give Them Some Beer

Beer traps can be an option. Take a wide, shallow jar and put in a little beer. Bury the jar in the soil to the neck level.

Prop up the lid using a small stick to avoid rain diluting the beer. Leave enough space for the snails and slugs to enter the trap.

#9 Put Crushed Eggshells Around Plants

Crushing egg shells and sprinkling them around plants works sort of like diatomaceous earth. Egg shells will also act as soil amendments when they decompose and is a plus.

https://plantcaretoday.com/naturally-get-rid-of-slugs.html

Hey Lucy, last year was a huge slug year too. I remember walking off the patio and seeing a whole trail of slugs coming toward my house, I mean the GIANT slugs like this. I got the salt shaker and killed 23 of those things!!close-up-of-a-child-holding-a-giant-spotted-banana-slug-in-a-forest-BDBB0X.thumb.jpg.444af8eed0fc13aa603d7cebb02273bb.jpg Walked around the yard and sprinkled another 20 plus, can't remember how many.

I also do egg shells and diatomaceous earth as well and they just paraded right through. CHEAP beer is the ticket. They, at least Pacific Northwest slugs, don't like good beer. I put out some of my homemade and some bought stuff and they snubbed their noses at it. But the cheap, and it appears diluted, beer seems to work best. 

Aren't they just icky?

Edited by bagwell1987

ID:6405   Posted (edited)

13 minutes ago, Vincent said:

Here is an interesting phenomenon I was able to catch last year.  There are two suns in the sky and I couldn't figure out where the second light source was coming from. Obviously some reflection somewhere though not apparent where.59011e920fecb_fromtheboardwalk.jpg.5606dfe1e8020317ac69015dd0950936.jpg

Were you visiting Tatooine?

According to Wikipedia, Tatooine orbits two main sequence binary stars Tatoo I and Tatoo II. 

:)

Edited by Old

51 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

Hey Lucy, last year was a huge slug year too. I remember walking off the patio and seeing a whole trail of slugs coming toward my house, I mean the GIANT slugs like this.

Have you tried sprinkling catnip in their trail and then inviting a bunch of stray cats to come over and play?

Or..put out some cheap beer for your drunk skunk and put some hot sauce on the slug trails, who doesn't like a slug dipped in hot sauce with their beer?

It might not work but it would be entertaining...:lol:

bagwell1987 likes this

2 hours ago, Vincent said:

Here is an interesting phenomenon I was able to catch last year.  There are two suns in the sky and I couldn't figure out where the second light source was coming from. Obviously some reflection somewhere though not apparent where.59011e920fecb_fromtheboardwalk.jpg.5606dfe1e8020317ac69015dd0950936.jpg

That is a natural phenomenon called sundogs.  

Ice crystals in the atmosphere refract the sun's light, causing impostor suns on either side of the real deal.  

If the dark clouds weren't in the way, you would have seen three suns.

250px-Fargo_Sundogs.jpg.fc16a6db5bbe705264fb01ba9b1c8028.jpg

I'm currently in the beginning stages of a grasshopper plague. Two years ago I mistakenly 'befriended' George, the first grasshopper. Then George moved in his mate, then mini-Georges were sprouting up everywhere, eating every filament of green in my tiny garden, including the passionfruit - leaves and fruit!!

This year, George and his ilk are not welcome, so I'm using the heavy artillery bug spray  (choke, choke).

tmp_18705-images-861499858.jpg.f3704cfae4d2d04f857965e4c5b8c533.jpg

I know, he does look cute.

7 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

I'm currently in the beginning stages of a grasshopper plague. Two years ago I mistakenly 'befriended' George, the first grasshopper. Then George moved in his mate, then mini-Georges were sprouting up everywhere, eating every filament of green in my tiny garden, including the passionfruit - leaves and fruit!!

This year, George and his ilk are not welcome, so I'm using the heavy artillery bug spray  (choke, choke).

I know, he does look cute.

sounds like you need to bring in other friends to balance out the grasshopper problem. Call in some spiders and frogs/toads/birds . A variety of different insects is the sign of a healthy garden. but the problem for many is -WE DONT LIKE BUGS!!

hatcheckgirl and Tortuga like this

I didn't want to spray because that kills the spiders and other 'good' insects.  But if I wait too long, I lose another crop of passionfruits, the only decent plant in my tiny courtyard.  As it is the frangipani's leaves are almost all eaten, so no fragrant flowers this year.  And they're quick too!  But I still think they're cute, just wish they didn't breed, and eat lots.

5901d361bfba2_rabidgrasshopper.gif.600635c20d9f771e53a0dee58c0d3089.gif

Loopy and bagwell1987 like this

I guess it's a similar situation with cherry trees and birds. There's that short timeframe between when they are ready to pick and when all the birds are come around and do all the picking for you. One day you notice that they are all ready and ripe to pick and before you know it, they are all gone and your standing there with your container in your hand and mouth open , looking for a bird to throw your container at in frustration.