JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Huge flood in Australia

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4820 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Wow, that stinks, I am not even allowed to see video footage of things happening in my own country X(

Yes, it is fairly bad here, though fortunately the floods are peaking and starting to recede. It will still be weeks in some of the places before the water is gone though. The floodwaters are also beginning to move south into New South Wales, so we will begin hearing about that soon the good thing about that is that the area to be affected is sparsely populated and hopefully won't affect food production there as it has here - pretty much everything is going to go up in price over the next few weeks.

the floods are getting worse. the rumors are no sunshine at all for south east qld till at least march. this is the most rain i have ever seen in my short 21yrs. its unbelievable. Gympie, Maryborugh, Toowoomba to name just a few more towns are now isolated or partially isolated. Australia will soon look like it has little islands.

we live in a hilly area, so we have to watch the dips around us so as we dont get flooded in. we have a few rivers where rivers where rivers shouldnt be and the bridges are close to being swamped. and one bridge is pretty high. all the water from north has to come this way so we are watching real close.

keep all posted as the waters rise and drop.

not sure. its everywhere. just been told Lockyer Creek is rising. towns such as dalby, townsville and esk are looking like they are sunk.

some news articles

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8194638/mass-evacuations-start-in-lockyer-valley

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8194640

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8194643

talk soon and keep you posted

I am not even allowed to see video footage of things happening in my own country

What do you mean Stuart?

I guess Stuart means that he can't watch the video in the first post. I'm not allowed too. Could you see it as you're outside the US too?

Prediction weather from 12 till end of January 2011

Comments from Piers

WeatherAction

Heading & introduction to Forecast:

- Full forecast via 'Extreme Events (not Europe)' button on http://www.weatheraction.com/member.asp

JAN 12th - 31st 2011 issued Jan 9th from Dec 29th SLAT parameters

Tropical Cyclone likely formations in South Indian Ocean & Australasian / West Pacific waters + Flood warnings Australia

Solar-Lunar driven major jet stream blocking will continue through January and indeed the whole of 2011 giving more extreme weather – such as further floods in Australia in January.

See WeatherAction 2011 news No 1 for lunar effects on Australian floods.

and WAnews2011 No 2 for further general comments and news/new VIDEO links on jet stream etc.

via http://www.weatheraction.com/pages/pv.asp?p=wact3&fsize=0 also http://bit.ly/hLigKM for vids.

About 7 tropical cyclones are likely to form in the Southern Indian Ocean / Australasia region in dates below. Most likely sea areas are also specified but these have low confidence and further work is being undertaken to improve areas.

Heavy rainfall and flood exacerbation is likely at around the same times as forecasted for Tropical Cyclone formation although only one specific area of flood event is specified this Jan.

we had an inland tsunami hit toowoomba. all brothers there are safe, but we have lost the kingdom hall. the bell has tolled and we have been told by all authorities to stay inside. its surreal to say the least.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/01/11/3110157.htm

brisbane suburbs to be hit first

I am not even allowed to see video footage of things happening in my own country

What do you mean Stuart?

As others have said, it is copyrighted and the owners won't let people in certain countries watch it. I find it a bit puzzling when it is news, I can understand when it is a fiction based TV show or a movie, but straight up news is strange. Oh well, it is their IP so they can do what they want with it.

we had an inland tsunami hit toowoomba. all brothers there are safe, but we have lost the kingdom hall. the bell has tolled and we have been told by all authorities to stay inside. its surreal to say the least.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/01/11/3110157.htm

brisbane suburbs to be hit first

More news

It's looking bad at the moment - eight are confirmed dead and over seventy missing from the Lockyer Valley region including Toowoomba. The waters are coming down the mountains and starting to flood Brisbane's western suburbs such as Gatton and Ipswich and combined with the high tide the Brisbane River is rising along its length, the authorities are already warning people in parts of the West End (across the river from the Brisbane CBD) to seek higher ground.

Even though I am not affected by the floods directly I have family up from NSW my sister and her children are flying out this morning but her husband and my mother are supposed to drive back to Bathurst (its a bit over a day's drive) but it looks like they will be our guests for a day or two because of road closures on all major and several minor roads going south out of Queensland.

Wow! This is crazy. I just saw this -

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/weather/homes-to-go-under-in-hours-as-brisbane-river-bursts-its-banks--90-missing-20110112-19my3.html

on the news. I am glad the slave has been preparing us for natural disasters especially as they are going to increase. We will have to keep our brothers and sisters in our prayers. Remember donate to the WorldWide Work (WWW) and they will make sure it gets to where the most need is.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Stuart, are you alright? I just saw in the news that the flood has arrived Brisbane. :nope:

Yes, thank God, we are all okay here. There has been some minor flooding but only on a few roads and in a little low lying land. Fortunately we are in a fairly high and hilly spot well away from where the major flooding is occurring, it would take a lot more than has happened to affect us here.

This flooding is mind boggling, it has been going on for weeks up north and a fair bit just to the south of us, the Pacific Hwy has been closed in several areas. They say that about 75% of the state is now flood affected and they are calling this a "mega disaster" rather than a "disaster".

It's unbelieveable' date=' have you ever had something like that before in Australia?[/quote']

Growing up in Alice Springs I went through two very big floods back in the 80s and I remember one in Queensland but that only affected the outback areas and not major cities. I have never seen anything like this and I don't think anyone else here has either, they had a massive flood in1974 but this one is set to exceed that by a couple of metres which means thousands of more homes and businesses will be affected than 74. They are saying something like 6.5-7 metres now, it's not at all pleasant and will affect huge portions of the city.

This map gives you an idea of what is happening in Brisbane and it is updated fairly regularly. We are down in Beenleigh (find Brisbane and head a little south-east) outside the main flood affected area.

Death toll in Australia floods reaches 22 as water in Brisbane continues to 'rise and swallow up' the city

23127=744-article-1346374-0CBA4D08000005

This flooding is mind boggling' date=' it has been going on for weeks up north and a fair bit just to the south of us, the Pacific Hwy has been closed in several areas. They say that about 75% of the state is now flood affected and they are calling this a "mega disaster" rather than a "disaster". [/quote'] keep strong...Stuart

Thank you Stuart, could you give us an update when you hear about brothers and sisters that are affected?

How many witnesses are living in Queensland?

I will do, I probably won't hear anything until Sunday so I will get back to you all then - earlier if I hear anything in the meantime.

got this text yesterday:

All brothers are accounted for in Dalby, Lowood, Laidley, Gatton and Chinchilla. almost all families are accounted for in Toowoomba. Some have been evac by boat in Dalby. A number of Kingdom halls have been flooded. Some brothers in Emerald, Bundaberg, Gin Gin and Rockhampton can return home. Bros and Sis stranded on roads are being looked after by local congregations.

on the other side of the coin

Grantham has started their clean up. Death toll over QLD is 15 with at least 71 missing. Granthams population looks like they have lost a lot of them.

We can see the Logan River here, and we are pretty high up. Fortunately it has avoided the "lower corner" of qld and has gone behind us into NSW.

will update when we can.