JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Huge flood in Australia

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4843 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I was in Brisbane a few weeks ago.

I just managed to get through Rockhampton (heading north) around 15 hours before it was closed down.

Water was on both sides of the road as far as you could see - then crossing the river in town was just below the bridge.

I just took a deep breath and kept driving and prayed !!!!!!!

I've also heard no brothers or sisters were killed.

And that in itself is amazing considering the wall of water that came through Toowoomba and Grantham.

Unbelievable.

As I watched the water roaring through towns, taking everything in its path - I couldn't help but think of the fact that man is so vulnerable,

so unable to cope with --- water.

All TV stations are running reports about the flooding non-stop, continuous.

I wonder how the witnessing will go here after this?

Queensland Premier says disaster 'possibly worst in history of nation' Thousands of homes swamped, some never habitable again Man dies after being sucked into storm drain

23282=756-article-1346684-0CB9F2F3000005 Dunked: Houses to the west of Brisbane are almost completely submerged. Some 11, 900 homes have so far been inundated... .....Verity-Mai and Lori....stay strong...

also

More than 300,000 people have been forced out of their homes by flooding in Sri Lanka, with no sign of a let-up in the torrential downpour continuing to lash the island nation's east coast.

Three more people were killed by mudslides today, bringing the death toll to 21, officials said.

The government's Disaster Management Centre said more than 1 million people had been affected by the rains, with 325,000 currently made homeless.

guardian.co.uk, Thursday 13 January 2011

Brazil floods: worst ever natural disaster as death toll rises The death toll from mudslides and floods in Rio de Janeiro state in Brazil has risen to 527, making it the country's worst-ever natural disaster. telegraph.co.uk

23376=759-15894191.jpg

We got an update this morning from Australia Bethel about the Queensland floods at the meeting.

At this point no witnesses are reported dead.

There have been many homes damaged, some beyond repair.

Kingdom Halls have also been damaged and therefore can't be used as deployment centres.

The Assembly Hall in Brisbane is being used as a depot for volunteers and equipment.

They asked for contributions as follows:

manpower and equipment

any money would be appreciated

The brother was overcome with emotion as he read the letters from Bethel.

Everyone's been on high alert with concern.

I saw on the news today that they found another dead person.

They had searched this particular home twice and found the person on the third time.

And then hearing about other flooding and landslides in the world, makes you wonder how much the earth - and man - can take.