JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3250 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

attachicon.gifCranes.jpg

Yea but it is hard to get those cranes to fly around where you want them with GoPro's around their necks.  :lol:

for that elevated view they would need HiPhones.   ...   man, that was corny - no delete button?

Edited by timpin

It is found in the 2014 Yearbook :

Hence, the United States Bethel family listened eagerly to the announcement read by Mark Sanderson of the Governing Body on Thursday, July 18, which said: “We are happy to announce that on Wednesday evening, July 17, the Warwick Planning Board unanimously approved the site plan for the new world headquarters of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

And it has been expressed somewhere else ...can't remember which magazine it was in.

They used outside contractors for a portion of 90 Sands in Brooklyn as well, so I'm sure there is a protocol in place to discourage "T&M" requests. (Time and money)

For legal reasons in NYC, all exterior building construction must be performed by union workers, not volunteers. We can do whatever we want inside, but not outside.

For legal reasons in NYC, all exterior building construction must be performed by union workers, not volunteers. We can do whatever we want inside, but not outside.

If memory serves me correctly that's a bit of a concession to cut thru some of the issues they would have with hooligans (union thugs) too. It's been awhile so I've forgotten some of the details.

Come join our service group singers......♫ Grant us boldness we witness....help us overcome our fear. ♫

I heard a brief blurb on NPR radio a couple days ago about an upcoming story they were doing about how New York City is making a huge effort to try to get people to move away from the ocean there. I hadn't heard anything else but I thought it was interesting in light of the face that the HQ we have there now made the decision several years ago to get away from there. Has anyone else heard this and know why NYC wants to get people away from the ocean?

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

I heard a brief blurb on NPR radio a couple days ago about an upcoming story they were doing about how New York City is making a huge effort to try to get people to move away from the ocean there. I hadn't heard anything else but I thought it was interesting in light of the face that the HQ we have there now made the decision several years ago to get away from there. Has anyone else heard this and know why NYC wants to get people away from the ocean?

Have you ever been to Venice, Italy? With oceans rising it might be a good idea to move to higher ground. Just one reason of many.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

I was wondering if they were thinking since Hurricane Sandy that the propensity for greater and more destructive weather along that coastline would be more common now too.

We used to have problems with water and Nor'Easters prior to Sandy. A number of cars were lost to water damage when Bethelites parked at 360.

Come join our service group singers......♫ Grant us boldness we witness....help us overcome our fear. ♫

I am wondering if they are thinking about global warming and the ice caps melting then New York city will be flooded. just a thought. 

That isn't expected to happen for many decades, and that level of flooding would bring permanent ruination to many parts of the earth.

Given the number of recent destructive events in New York city, natural and man-made, they likely want an inland rural area to avoid even more destructive events that could cripple the Kingdom work for a time.

For legal reasons in NYC, all exterior building construction must be performed by union workers,....

Shawn, Do you have any specific information on legal issues? Aside from permitting issues.

There are any number of non-union contractors in NY that do projects of this scope.

There are no laws preventing them from working . 

Here is what I do know; My background is heavy construction and am very aware that unions can make it VERY difficult to do major construction projects.

Here is an example of what can go wrong: Let's say I have a major concrete pour scheduled this morning at 5:00 AM.

The union throws an illegal picket line at the project gate, concrete trucks can't get in.

Company goes for a court order to remove the picket line, which will take at least until 10:00 AM.

Then with managers and lawyers on the phone, no one can find  the union business agent, when he is finally located he says "I didn't order that picket,

I'll get them out of there right now! Oh, sorry about this." (very cooperative?)  It is now 1:00 PM, I have thirty truck loads of mix that has to be dumped,

I pay for the mix, truck time and dump fees as well as wages for a crew that spent the morning picking up trash, four concrete pumps standing idle, and last 

but not least  my schedule has gone to pot.

After the lawyers get done my project has taken at least a $50,000 hit. Oh, I forgot to  mention my company is a Union Contractor, all union workers.

Think of the potential for delay that could effect an all volunteer group. 

Sometimes concessions have to be made to manage and expedite. I see the use of contractors more in the line of expediting the project as well as limiting potential problems.

To do that much precast concrete work with volunteers boggles  my mind.  When it comes to minds, I see the reasoning of many sound minds.

P.S.: I don't know of a stronger union than Jehovah's Witnesses.

Edited by Old

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Thanks Old. That's the reason I believe 90 Sands was done using union workers for the exterior. From a construction standpoint, I do believe things have changed quite a bit post 9/11.

It was in a talk I heard from a Bethel speaker.  The talk was a few years ago, so circumstances may be different now.  He was sharing an experience about some work being done at Bethel and mentioned that it wasn't legal for us to work on the outside, that we had to hire union contractors.  That was all he said to the legality, so I don't know any other details.

Notice in the first aerial shot - at 2:22 to 2:24 -  what looks like a helicopter on the ground at 2 o'clock.

Regarding the use of union crews in Brooklyn:  While a temp worker a long time ago,  I recall a brother related the experience of  building 90 Sands. He said the responsible brothers had a meeting at the City offices with union representatives.  The union reps were unsure of the Society's intentions with regard to the work force.

To keep things peaceful, the brothers let them know it was their plan to hire contractors to erect the steel portion (steelworkers union). This mollified the bosses and it all went smoothly.

One other experience:  There was a brick wall on top of the building, and the brothers believed it was not built to code or trade standards. Brothers brought this to the contractor's attention, but were assured everything was done properly.

That night was very windy, and the next morning that brick wall was laying down flat. Apparently, Jehovah agreed with the brothers and gave it a nudge. Discussion over.

Notice in the first aerial shot - at 2:22 to 2:24 -  what looks like a helicopter on the ground at 2 o'clock.

I am thinking it is more likely a 32 meter concrete pump truck with stabilizing arms outstretched. Many years working the business end of those buggers.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

• 7 months later...

The FDS website has recently put up their latest photos of the progression of the work at Warwick.

One of the things I love about these 20 photo ( as has been true of others in the past ), you can

move around the photo and "zoom" in on sections that are of interest to you personally. So while

we cannot yet tour Warwick this is the next best thing. And it may even be better in that you can

explore it at your own pace and stay and study things that are of particular interest to you. Having had nearly thirty years construction experience I find their construction methods amazing. What a beautiful

complex it will be when it is done. Does anyone know what all the office / service building will be used

for ? ( I know of course JW Broadcasting will be moved there, as well as the Bible exhibit ) Will that be the new center for much of the writing staff as well, as well  as the GB ? Do they expect to have any

of the organizations many schools located there too ? The building actually seemed a little small to

me to house all of that, but I don't know the actual square footage space of the offices.

And Jerry, since you worked on some of the residence buildings, did they say what any of their plans

for them ? Since there are six of them. It would appear to me there is more than enough space to

house the regular personel living there at Warwick. Then in addition are all of the properties the Society

has purchased around that area, including the luxturious Fishkill apartments. Perhaps they plan to use

part of that for long time servants such as former district and circuit overseers, who now can no longer

continue in the service. If so, that would be a loving provision to them. So I would appreciate all of

your thoughts on this subject.