JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Supermodel Coco Rocha opens up about life as a devout Jehovah's Witness

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2549 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Supermodel Coco Rocha has opened up about life as a devout Jehovah's Witness.

The 24-year-old, who grew up Richmond, British Columbia, revealed during an interview with DuJour magazine that her 'faith is everything' and despite her fame, she still preaches door-to-door.

'The whole purpose is to inform people. Some people think we’re a pushy religion, but if you’re not interested, just say so,' she explained.

At the age of 21 she decided to get baptized to show her commitment.

Because of her religious believes Ms Rocha says there are things that she refuses to do on modelling jobs, such as posing nude or semi-nude in lingerie or swimwear.

Read more:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2263340/Supermodel-Coco-Rocha-opens-life-devout-Jehovahs-Witness--preaches-door-door.html

One question, since I do not really keep up with fashion models .... I noticed that she married an artist, James Conran, from what I read, I guess he is actually a brother .... anyone know any additional info about him as well as what there is about her?

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

In the story at this link:

http://arts.nationalpost.com/2013/01/17/coco-rocha-is-a-devout-jehovahs-witness/

It says: 

Rocha said she and her manager-husband James Conran enjoy going door-to-door with their congregation to share their beliefs.

So I assume he's a witness to, or a very good husband to go with her anyway! :)

Great read Musky.

I did hear about this model some time ago. But great to confirm.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

I like her, she seems like a nice person and it's great that she's a Witness. It's just that I wish that she wasn't in the modeling/fashion industry, wish is filled with all sort of sad and depraved things. Even some things like shoots and dress designs and poses (like one eye covered) have occultic meanings. Of course most of the models don't know and just do them. So unfortunately there have been a few shots with Coco involving those symbolic things (I've seen them on a website called vigilentcitzen). Also, she's spending a lot of time with the people in the busibess too, she said her best model friends were like Victoria's Secret models but that didn't mean she posed in lingerie. And like one more question... since she doesn't have a "normal" job, where's the fine line between her job as a model and her personal life? It's not like when you come home from work after a long day since her hours are different. I wonder how she keeps modeling and anything model related (she was on a modeling reality show called The Face) from becoming her life.

Besides that, she's pretty different from most "celebrity JWs". On her social networks she never posts anything holiday related and when her birthday came around of course there were no related posts but there were a few comments by people that were just like what people say in real life: "I know you don't celebrate birthdays, but..."

I like her, she seems like a nice person and it's great that she's a Witness. It's just that I wish that she wasn't in the modeling/fashion industry, wish is filled with all sort of sad and depraved things. Even some things like shoots and dress designs and poses (like one eye covered) have occultic meanings. Of course most of the models don't know and just do them.

Ignorance is bliss :)

Seems to me she does a good job with staying away from the depraved things. Modeling is risky business I would presume - since the whole thing is geared towards peeling more and more clothes off.

The one eye thing probably has many meanings to many people, dating back to several sources. Today I think it's just a fashion statement or artsy thing. I doubt anybody is really instructing a model to cover one eye to pay homage to Horus or something.

Also, she's spending a lot of time with the people in the busibess too, she said her best model friends were like Victoria's Secret models but that didn't mean she posed in lingerie. And like one more question... since she doesn't have a "normal" job, where's the fine line between her job as a model and her personal life? It's not like when you come home from work after a long day since her hours are different. I wonder how she keeps modeling and anything model related (she was on a modeling reality show called The Face) from becoming her life.

Actually, she probably has more free time than most of us, since a modeling gig is done by contract. She likely has an agent that markets her, looks for jobs, and pre-negotiates her contracts before even calling her in, at which point she can accept or decline a job or negotiate even more on her own.

Besides that, she's pretty different from most "celebrity JWs". On her social networks she never posts anything holiday related and when her birthday came around of course there were no related posts but there were a few comments by people that were just like what people say in real life: "I know you don't celebrate birthdays, but..."

^ Isn't that a good thing?

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I like her, she seems like a nice person and it's great that she's a Witness. It's just that I wish that she wasn't in the modeling/fashion industry, wish is filled with all sort of sad and depraved things. Even some things like shoots and dress designs and poses (like one eye covered) have occultic meanings. Of course most of the models don't know and just do them. So unfortunately there have been a few shots with Coco involving those symbolic things (I've seen them on a website called vigilentcitzen). Also, she's spending a lot of time with the people in the busibess too, she said her best model friends were like Victoria's Secret models but that didn't mean she posed in lingerie. And like one more question... since she doesn't have a "normal" job, where's the fine line between her job as a model and her personal life? It's not like when you come home from work after a long day since her hours are different. I wonder how she keeps modeling and anything model related (she was on a modeling reality show called The Face) from becoming her life.

If you think about it Jadon, she is doing a pretty good job of being/providing a witness, what with the fact it is in the news and all. I havn't seen a worldly person call her out as I have with WIlliams sisters. And wether we are models or shift workers at a chemical plant, we all face the challenge of that "fine line" that seperates us from worldly activitiess. No matter what our source of income it is tough to do what is right. Satans world surrounds us constantly. During our recent visit with our DO visit, he and his wife told us of the progress Brother Prince has made. The DO did not say anything negative about his profession. Now as someone who in the past had a problem with Prince, I figured that if my DO didn't object to his activities, why should I be concerned. Lesson learned for me.

Evidently you have looked into her and found no real fault with her, that's good. But my dear sister, please don't spend to much time looking :ph34r:  at others. Jehovah wants us to look at ourselves. And I'm not talking about your selfie :) .

Edited by Brother

Young People Ask . . .

What About Modeling Careers and Beauty Contests?
“WHEN traveling to New York last year,” recalled 12-year-old Amy, “a guy running a hotel told my mom, ‘You ought to enter your daughter in a modeling school. . . . She’s pretty.’”
A number of attractive youths have had similar experiences. Fifteen-year-old Racine received a phone call from a man who tried to interest her and her younger sister in a modeling career. A young woman from South Africa was asked to participate in a beauty contest. And the lucrative offers are not limited to girls. Young Jonathan was offered employment as a male model.
Yes, throughout the world, young men and women and children of all ages are being recruited for modeling careers, beauty pageants, and the like. In the United States alone, it is reported that hundreds of thousands of beauty contests are held each year. Winners receive thousands of dollars in cash, prizes, and scholarships. For a select few, winning a beauty pageant has resulted in lucrative entertainment and modeling careers.
One young woman states: “All my life I have wanted to be a fashion model—modeling clothing for local magazines and fashion shows. The pay ranges from $25 to $100 per hour.” Reportedly, though, some top models earn salaries of as much as $2,500 per day! Little wonder, then, some Christian youths have been tempted to cash in on their good looks. How might you respond if you were offered such a flattering opportunity?

Beauty Can Be Beneficial

It was said of the Jewish virgin Esther that she was “pretty in form and beautiful in appearance.” (Esther 2:7) In fact, you could even say that she involuntarily participated in a beauty contest of sorts. The circumstances? Persian queen Vashti had been removed from office for insubordination. In order to find a suitable replacement, King Ahasuerus collected together the most beautiful virgins from all the realm. Over a 12-month period, he arranged for the young women to be placed on a special diet and to receive regular massages with balsam oil and myrrh. Each girl was then evaluated in turn. And when Esther’s turn came, she was selected to be the new queen!—Esther 1:12–2:17.
Why, though, did Esther participate? Was she a vain glory seeker? No, Esther was following Jehovah’s direction, which she repeatedly sought through her godly cousin and guardian, Mordecai. (Esther 4:5-17) A wicked man named Haman was plotting the destruction of God’s people, the nation of Israel. The ‘beauty contest’ allowed Jehovah to maneuver Esther into a prominent position where she would be able to foil this plot. Esther’s good looks thus proved to be a blessing for all of God’s people!
What about today? How one looks is definitely not the most important thing in life. Nevertheless, when accompanied with modesty and humility, attractive looks can be an asset. Does this mean, though, that modeling or participating in beauty pageants is a prudent way to use this asset? Or are there factors to consider beyond the lure of fame, glory, or riches?

Behind the Glitter

Fashion modeling does have its glamour. Fine clothing, expensive jewelry, good pay, the prospects of travel and television appearances—these are all quite alluring. Additionally, modeling training has helped many young women and men to walk gracefully and to speak with confidence and poise. But beyond the glamour, glitter, and glitz may lurk real dangers for a Christian.
Not that modeling in itself is bad. Some modeling serves an upright purpose: to make a product look appealing. That is one reason why lovely hands are used to display nail polish in magazine layouts and TV commercials. Similarly, well-formed men and women are used to display articles of clothing. Presuming such clothing is modest, there may be no objection to a Christian’s being paid to model it.
Nevertheless, there are many problems inherent in modeling that are not always easy to avoid. How would you react, for example, if you were called upon to wear something immodest or inappropriate for Christians? Or if a photographer used subtle pressure to have you pose in a suggestive, alluring way? Furthermore, one cannot always be certain how photographs will be used. For example, the photos could appear in a setting that promotes false religious holidays or that has immoral overtones.
Then there is the effect that such a career could have on one’s personality, promoting the development of negative traits. The continued emphasis on one’s outward appearance rather than on “the secret person of the heart” has caused some fashion models to become exceedingly vain. (1 Peter 3:4) Also, working with expensive clothing, jewelry, and the like can cause materialistic thinking to take root.—1 Timothy 6:10.
The fashion-modeling profession is also notorious for exposing one to individuals, male and female, who insist on sexual favors in exchange for career advancement. As one former fashion model observed: “Frankly, you have to give in [sexually] to get anywhere.” Some further claim that homosexuality is rampant among male models. While this may not always be true, it may be more of a problem in modeling than in other professions.

It is not important where we serve nor in what capacity but, rather, whom we serve. MARKUS HARTLIEF

From readers......

Modeling Career  I was fascinated by the article “Young People Ask . . . What About Modeling Careers and Beauty Contests?” (January 8, 1990) It was only in the strength of Jehovah that I was able to give up such a career. Until a few months before my baptism, I was a photo model. But although I kept bad association to a minimum, the pressure was enormous. A model is made fun of, ignored, and even forced to run around half naked due to a lack of changing facilities. Added to that is the loneliness when living for weeks on end in a hotel. The fashion world looks great, but it is full of greed, rivalry, immorality, materialism, and drugs.

J. Y. A. M., Federal Republic of Germany

Modeling Careers  Thank you so much for your article on modeling careers. (January 8, 1990) My daughter was a child model before we started studying the Bible. We discussed the article together. It was so true; the effect modeling had on my daughter at that age was to make her feel that she was number one, better than anyone else. Both of us thank you for the article. My daughter is no longer a model, and Jehovah God is number one in her life—instead of herself.

N. J., Canada

It is not important where we serve nor in what capacity but, rather, whom we serve. MARKUS HARTLIEF

Yes, as the article points out, this career can be quite taxing and expose a person to many situations that could test a person. Although it is true that ALL jobs could expose ones to danger I would have to agree that my job does not put me under constant, daily or even frequent pressure to compromise my integrity.

Professions like modeling, sports, acting and other entertainment can be very risky. Does that mean it cannot be done? NO. There have been some who have done it. At this point it seems Coco is one of these rare ones who have been able to walk that line.

Does that make her wrong for having a modeling career? No.

Does it mean we should encourage others to follow that type of career because they are attractive, can sing, play a musical instrument or are good at a sport? No.

It also does not mean we should tell them they are wrong or "bad" if they do.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Yes, as the article points out, this career can be quite taxing and expose a person to many situations that could test a person. Although it is true that ALL jobs could expose ones to danger I would have to agree that my job does not put me under constant, daily or even frequent pressure to compromise my integrity.

Professions like modeling, sports, acting and other entertainment can be very risky. Does that mean it cannot be done? NO. There have been some who have done it. At this point it seems Coco is one of these rare ones who have been able to walk that line.

Does that make her wrong for having a modeling career? No.

Does it mean we should encourage others to follow that type of career because they are attractive, can sing, play a musical instrument or are good at a sport? No.

It also does not mean we should tell them they are wrong or "bad" if they do.

Not everyone who plays with fire gets burnt. Does that mean it is ok to play with fire?

The GB is very clear, and we have people who have been exposed to that career and have said how much they went near to sin.

Are we going to water down the slave's advise in the name of "matter of conscience"

Edited by Abbyz

Not everyone who plays with fire gets burnt. Does that mean it is ok to play with fire?

The GB is very clear, and we have people who have been exposed to that career and have said how much they went near to sin.

Are we going to water down the slave's advise in the name of "matter of conscience"

Does the GB tell us specifically what jobs we can take?

Edited by John Doe

I love what this board allows me to see. The different thought process' we all have. It's like a box of chocolates.

I notice that some from certain parts of the world appear to have less tolerance when it comes to matters of conscience. When I see their comments my imperfection makes me kind of cringe at their thoughts. But as I think about it, I understand they are trying to take a personal stand and do not begrudge them there opinion. I think a lot of it is based on the environment we are raised in. It also makes me reflect on wether my tolerance is acceptable to Jehovah. So once again I really appreciate the interchange of thoughts and comments. It makes me think.

I have heard to many talks, from District Conventions down to KH discources that make it perfectly clear we are not to judge others especially when there are no direct scriptural directives against what we do as individuals. What about friends who are wealthy, should they give away all they have based on what we belive is in excess? Should they stop working to make more money? I've wondered that at times. What are they thinking? Don't they know money will not make them happy? It will be worthless someday? They could do so much good with what they have? My conclusion, it's really none of my business. It's between them and Jehovah.

Dear friends if you think what they are doing is wrong, please pray for them. Help them to see what you see. We are all in this race together.   

That's all I'm gonna say about that.

Does the GB tell us specifically what jobs we can take?

What do you think?

I was thinking what a "Field" of people she may reach with seeds of the truth in her job as a Fashion Model.

Make-up people

camera person

editor

clothing fitter

the list goes on and on!

Am also thinking what a "Field" of people a soldier may reach with seeds of the truth in his job.

Terrorists,

War criminals,

Felow soldiers

the list goes on and on

I love what this board allows me to see. The different thought process' we all have. It's like a box of chocolates.

I notice that some from certain parts of the world appear to have less tolerance when it comes to matters of conscience. When I see their comments my imperfection makes me kind of cringe at their thoughts. But as I think about it, I understand they are trying to take a personal stand and do not begrudge them there opinion. I think a lot of it is based on the environment we are raised in. It also makes me reflect on wether my tolerance is acceptable to Jehovah. So once again I really appreciate the interchange of thoughts and comments. It makes me think.

I have heard to many talks, from District Conventions down to KH discources that make it perfectly clear we are not to judge others especially when there are no direct scriptural directives against what we do as individuals. What about friends who are wealthy, should they give away all they have based on what we belive is in excess? Should they stop working to make more money? I've wondered that at times. What are they thinking? Don't they know money will not make them happy? It will be worthless someday? They could do so much good with what they have? My conclusion, it's really none of my business. It's between them and Jehovah.

Dear friends if you think what they are doing is wrong, please pray for them. Help them to see what you see. We are all in this race together.   

That's all I'm gonna say about that.

You may be right on the first point. Especially from Africa, we are more like want to live our lives by the book. We usually leave no room for flexibility. Not very good really.

If you have seen, there is refefence from YPA book. Am not judging, just pointing out what the GB has said about the matter.

are you telling me that you can not see what the slave is saying?

Do you think men and woment of old, God's servants, like Timothy, Paul, Dorcas etc.. would take up Jobs like modeling?

What do you think?

Am also thinking what a "Field" of people a soldier may reach with seeds of the truth in his job.

Terrorists,

War criminals,

Felow soldiers

the list goes on and on

You may be right on the first point. Especially from Africa, we are more like want to live our lives by the book. We usually leave no room for flexibility. Not very good really.

If you have seen, there is refefence from YPA book. Am not judging, just pointing out what the GB has said about the matter.

Do you think men and woment of old, God's servants, like Timothy, Paul, Dorcas etc.. would take up Jobs like modeling?

The GB is not telling us what jobs we can or cannot take, but some jobs are just not encouraged because of the potential worldly influence.

You are writing about Timothy, Paul and Dorcas. But what about Daniel and Joseph? Both occupied in jobs with a big potential for worldly influence.

I think it's more about how you manage to live your life serving God, and keep yourself away from the world, than what job you can write on your business card. God doesn't mind what job you have, but wants you to reflect over how much time you spend in pursuing worldly goals

Sorry for my bad English:unsure:

What do you think?

Am also thinking what a "Field" of people a soldier may reach with seeds of the truth in his job.

Terrorists,

War criminals,

Felow soldiers

the list goes on and on

I don't believe one could be baptized if they were a soldier. Not a good illustration.

My brother I know you are trying not to judge. And don't confuse no flexibility with a firm resolve to do what is right. I appreciate your stance very much. But when you become an Elder (if you are not already) how would Jesus want you to sheperd? The trap many who have a perceived advanced knowledge or power is that all should think as they do. Jesus and his Father want us to make decisions based not on what others tell us to do, but instead based on our bible trained conscious. My point being, be firm in your decision, but allow me to figure it out, please help me where you can, but don't tell me what I have to think.  

I believe if she were my child I would encourage her to change vocations. However it would still be a decision for her to make. Not me.

And no I don't believe they would take up modeling, however our sister did not take up modeling, she was earning a living doing this before she came into the truth.

And no I don't believe they would take up modeling, however our sister did not take up modeling, she was earning a living doing this before she came into the truth.

Check that. Before she was baptized. Which makes another point. What did the brothers have to say to her when she requested to symbolize her dedication? "Nope you are a supermodel, quit then come see us"  

:deadhorse:

Edited by Brother

Hey, maybe Job wouldn't have been a model - but how about those daughters???   :eek:   :wink:   :popcorn:

14 And he went calling the name of the first Je·mi′mah and the name of the second Ke·zi′ah and the name of the third Ker′en-hap′puch. 15 And no women were found as pretty as Job’s daughters in all the land, and their father proceeded to give them an inheritance in among their brothers.

Some body was checking them out in comparison to others   :yes:  :lol1:

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Are you?

"Presuming such clothing is modest, there may be no objection to a Christian’s being paid to model it."

At my last circuit assembly, the special needs talk was based on 1 Corinthians 4:6-7, "do not go beyond the things that are written". In that talk, the CO brought out that although may go against our own conscience, actual counsel and judicial action is reserved for things that are specifically forbidden by the Bible, and it is wrong for us to suggest otherwise.

For example, for years the slave has been saying to be careful on the internet. They've never said that the internet is inherently bad, but they have pointed out the dangers we should avoid if we choose to use it. Some have resolved to never participate in any context, not even looking at downloaded PDFs on the Kingdom Hall computer. Although they are entirely within their rights to determine how to live their own life and what to bring into their own home, it would be very unwise for them to insinuate that others should be counseled for using the internet in a scripturally acceptable manner in their own home or place of business.

Since the slave has only given advice as to the risks of modeling (and other high-profile careers), but never said that those careers are inherently wrong, it is officially a personal decision, a conscience matter. At this point, our job isn't to find fault with one another and cite rules where none have been written, our job is to trust in Christ's leadership and in his appointed shepherds to keep the congregation clean. While the elders are only imperfect humans, they are in Christ's right hand, and all of Jehovah's true servants are known by Christ. So if this sister really is taking a wrong step in her career, then it is absolutely within Jesus' power to see that and correct her from following an unwise path, without outright banning her from an otherwise scripturally acceptable career solely on the basis that others may make a different decision.