JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

YWCA loses Christianity from title...

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4843 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

YWCA loses Christianity from title...

The Young Women's Christian Association, which is one of Britain's oldest charities, has dropped the word "Christian" from its name to better reflect its role in society.

The YWCA, which was set up in 1855 to help young women going to London for the first time, has now become "Platform 51".

The YWCA is not the first body to move away from Christian associations in its name. In 2009, the chairman of Churches Action for the Homeless said it needed to start looking for a new name because the religious connotations made it harder to get grants.

A spokesman for the think-tank the Christian Institute said: "Many believe there is an anti-Christian bias among those who decide which charities get state funding.

"It was the Christian character of the YWCA that made it great. It is a shame that it is turning its back on those values."

mail.co.uk

Sian,

This brought to mind many talks I heard, especially "The Near Future" by Brother Losch, that talk about how Babylon's assets (bank accounts, real estate, etc) will be seized during the tribulation.

And, of course, we recently learned that the first target of the tribulation will be Christendom and its clergy.

Reading your post made me wonder how much moves such as these are motivated by what is impending.

And I wonder what of the YMCA.

Their 1855 Paris Basis founding statement was filled with good intention wasn't it.

The continuing basis of the work and witness of the Young Men's Christian Association is expressed in the Paris Basis, as adopted by the delegates of the First World Conference in Paris in 1855, and reaffirmed by the 6th World Council of YMCAs in 1973:

“The Young Men's Christian Associations seek to unite those young men who, regarding Jesus Christ as their God and Saviour, according to the Holy Scriptures, desire to be his disciples in their faith and in their life, and to associate their efforts for the extension of his Kingdom amongst young men.

Their 1855 Paris Basis founding statement was filled with good intention wasn't it.

Yes it was.

Our daughter's pediatrician and then the local Children's Hospital suggested a fitness course there for her, which went on a few evenings a week for a few months, which we did.

The only remotely religious thing I ever saw was the guy who was in charge of the rock climbing happened to be listening to a Christian music radio station very softly.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I guess the YWCA of GB is more relaxed about its associate members. If it was the same as the World YWCA rules, then Platform 51 could no longer associate. (it associates with the World YWCA via the YWCA of GB )

The World YWCA requires that affiliate member associations use the name YWCA in their constitution.

Then there is the YWCA of GB purpose as explained on Platform 51's site, no more recognition of Jesus Christ, (I am assuming that the YMCA's Paris Basis is similar to the YWCA's) just

whose purpose is to develop the leadership and collective power of women and girls around the world to achieve justice, peace, health, human dignity, freedom and a sustainable environment for all people.

Thanks Sian, this was interesting.