JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

To get JW Reader to display 2014 Daily text

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3672 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Go to jw.org and download the es14_E.epub or whatever language you need and copy it to the jwreader/daystext directory then reopen jwreader after it is in there it should now work.There won't be any school schedule with the daily text. 

This is just a temporary fix until the app is officially updated for the new year.

Edited by Musky

Go to jw.org and download the es14_E.epub or whatever language you need and copy it to the jwreader/daystext directory then reopen jwreader after it is in there it should now work.There won't be any school schedule with the daily text.

This is just a temporary fix until the app is officially updated for the new year.

For the daily text I'm using this app because I like the transparent widget

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kst.DailyTextPro2

ega8e9y5.jpg

Sorry for the off topic, just didn't want to create another topic to share that little bitty thing ;)

Edited by jayrtom

I did   :ecstatic:

I can't wait for an update.

Maybe I will finally be able to see my Jan '14 Public mag.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I did   :ecstatic:

I can't wait for an update.

Maybe I will finally be able to see my Jan '14 Public mag.

When mine stopped working, I went to the Syntax site and downloaded the latest version and installed it over the one I had, which I think was the same version. After that everything worked except the text page was blank until I copied the epub file into the text folder. Now all is well!

Or - this is a nice app - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jvillella.watchtowerlibrary

It will almost replace my need for jwreader.

I just need a good a nice way to organize the mp3s - because that default player in Google - terrible!!!!

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

When mine stopped working, I went to the Syntax site and downloaded the latest version and installed it over the one I had, which I think was the same version. After that everything worked except the text page was blank until I copied the epub file into the text folder. Now all is well!

Musky, do you see all 4 magazines for January 2014?

Soon .....

Musky, do you see all 4 magazines for January 2014?

No, I see three for January, four for February and three for March.

Have you tried downloading the missing issues and moving them in the the jwreader "Magazine" folder?

Edited by Musky

Yes.

I still think it is because there isn't a picture for it in the jw.org DL site - http://www.jw.org/apps/index.xjp?option=QrYQCsVrGZNT&selLang=E

EDIT - Maybe he can add a dummy one for when this happens.

EDIT2 - I am not sure what file it is that does it. If I knew, I would copy Febs and rename it corectly. If you figure it out - let me know. AND post it here, eh?

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

Go to jw.org and download the es14_E.epub or whatever language you need and copy it to the jwreader/daystext directory then reopen jwreader after it is in there it should now work.There won't be any school schedule with the daily text. 

Yay!!

signature2.jpg

I did exactly what was suggested, but it didnt work for me :(

I wonder why? You didn't rename the file, did you? And it went into the "Daily text" sub-folder under "jwreader"? 

One thing I found is that if you are using one of the "Daily text" widgets from jwreader on your desktop, you may need to delete it and then re-create it to get the text to show up. Usually a restart works fine though. 

Edited by Musky

Yes.

I still think it is because there isn't a picture for it in the jw.org DL site - http://www.jw.org/apps/index.xjp?option=QrYQCsVrGZNT&selLang=E

EDIT - Maybe he can add a dummy one for when this happens.

EDIT2 - I am not sure what file it is that does it. If I knew, I would copy Febs and rename it corectly. If you figure it out - let me know. AND post it here, eh?

That is the problem and I would assume in his next update he would add a feature for a dummy pic. Unfortunately the temporary solution is not as easy as the daily text problem. It requires a rooted device and making some minor edits to one of the app's internal database files to add a link to the image.

That is the problem and I would assume in his next update he would add a feature for a dummy pic. Unfortunately the temporary solution is not as easy as the daily text problem. It requires a rooted device and making some minor edits to one of the app's internal database files to add a link to the image.

:eek:  No rooted device. I'll have to wait

EDIT - aany way of doing it once and sharing the file????  :wave:

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

I see he just posted an update.

I just updated to it and the January mag is fixed too  :ecstatic:

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

Moon Reader has the option to put a link on your desktop. I put one for the text book on mine.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was unable to get JWreader to display the April 1st Watchtower until I downloaded the files

wp_E_20140401.epub

wp_E_20140401.pdf

Renamed them as

wp_E20140401.epub

wp_E20140401.pdf

and moved them to /sdcard/jwreader/mags

Now it all displays normally.