JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

How can I delete / deactivate my account?

How can I delete my account?

As is common with almost all forums across the internet, we do not delete user accounts here at JWTalk. However, we can "deactivate" your account for you upon request. Simply visit the Confidential Talk forum and make a post that you would like to leave the JWTalk community.

Here is what will happen if you choose to leave: We will move you to a group called "Former Members". Accounts that get added to the Former Members group can no longer see and read anything in the community, nor have the ability to send and receive private messages. Your profile as well as your posts and replies will say "Former Member" under your name and profile photo.

You'll still be able to log in and communicate with just the Staff via the Confidential Talk forum, where you can request to reactivate your account in case you desire to return in the future. In order to view the public areas of our Jehovah's Witnesses online community, you will have to log out in order to view the community as any other unregistered guest.

Can I make all my posts disappear from the forums?

No, your posts and replies cannot be deleted. This is per the JWTalk Community Membership Policy that you agreed to when you applied for membership. This is standard practice across all forums and most social networks, because removing your contributions to a topic will make it confusing for others to follow the discussions that had taken place. Because this is the case, the software we use for our Jehovah's Witnesses community doesn't include such a mass delete function.

Can I get my account back if I change my mind?

Yes you can. When you log in again, you will only be able to see a single forum called "Confidential Talk". You can post a request in there that your account be re-enabled. Upon reactivation, you will be able to see and participate in all areas of our JW community as well as access your Private Messages.

If you have never posted or added any content at all and you abandon your account, it will eventually be deleted. A few times each year, we purge old accounts with zero posts and who have not returned in several months.

View full article

• 5 years later...

I desire to leave JWTalk...Also, I do not have a problem with staying away from JWTalk because I have a satisfying life outside of this community. I am simplifying my life to pursue more spiritual matters.

Question:

Why is it that jwtalk cannot/will not completely delete my account? Other social media allow their members to delete their own membership accounts, why doesn't JWTalk have this policy? Its like I'm being forced to stay. I see no reason why that can't be done.... I should not have to be inactive on this site for my account to be totally deleted.

Edited by Dismal_Bliss

Removed quasi-nasty remark

We won't hold you hostage. We know some chose to leave. I will change your account right away.

As to why we inactivate rather than delete - this is a discussion forum and if we delete your account and all your posts, the discussions you were in won't make any sense - take this very thread as an example. Most other "social media" is just posts - without discussions. At this point you might be thinking - oh but I didn't participate in much so... Well perhaps that is why you are leaving; regardless, this needs to be our policy for all to keep the integrity of the threads.

Thank you for your participation. We are sad to see you go, but we understand and we wish you the best. :wave:

Edit: and done.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Hate to see you leave Jackie...didn't get a chance to get to know you Sis... A friend pioneer/moderator who used to be on here just checks in every once in awhile, mostly Sunday WT article discussions and meeting comments, while pursuiing other interests. Hope you will reconsider... :)

Some of us spend too much time on here...I'll be the first to admit...

Michael

On 5/10/2015 at 6:59 AM, Jackson said:

Why is it that jwtalk cannot/will not completely delete my account? Other social media allow their members to delete their own membership accounts, why doesn't JWTalk have this policy? Its like I'm being forced to stay. I see no reason why that can't be done.... I should not have to be inactive on this site for my account to be totally deleted.

Actually, what we do is similar to Facebook, who never really deletes your account. They allow you to deactivate your account, and then if you want to return to Facebook why look! everything is still there fore you.

Almost all forums on the internet do not allow you to delete your account. We're simply following a common practice. Why? The primary reasons are 1) software limitations and 2) the need to preserve the flow of conversation. Even if your accoutn could be deleted, your username would still appear in posts where others quoted you. It's simply impossible to erase everything.

What do we mean by 'breaking the flow of conversation'? If "trottigy" was heavily involved in a topic with "Dismal_Bliss" and then suddenly all of Dismal_Bliss' posts just vanished, other readers would find it impossible to understand the discussion at all. It might even look like trottigy was talking to himself, lol.

When you request deactivation here at JWTalk Forums, you will no longer be able to see members only forums when logged in and you will not be able to send and receive PM's. You will have no choice but to log out and walk away. It will say "Former Member" on your posts and on your profile page.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

• 8 months later...
On 5/10/2015 at 3:59 AM, Jackson said:

I desire to leave JWTalk...Also, I do not have a problem with staying away from JWTalk because I have a satisfying life outside of this community. I am simplifying my life to pursue more spiritual matters. 

We are glad you came back and are sad to see you go again.

I'll deactivate your account.

As you did last time - feel free to request to come back any time.

EDIT: and done again.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

• 7 years later...