JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Read any good books?

I like to read books as apposed to watching TV or movies. How about any of you guys?

I just read this book. It is an excellent read.

CyberStorm by Matthew Mather

Supposedly it will be made into a movie.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I love to read. One of my favorite pastimes is to sit on my front porch with a good book. I'm reading a children's classic book right now called "Plain Girl". It is the story of an Amish girl who is forced to go to public school. She struggles with her strict family, the world outside, and her brother who has left home and their religion.

PlainGirl.jpg

This may sound rather boorish, but I've been reading the revised New World Translation for my personal study, and loving it! I started reading a book about the age of Classical music composers, and am picking at a book called Community of Kindness, which has personal stories about random acts of kindness, very uplifting.

Adore John Grsham and legal thrillers!!!

John Grishom's "The Litagators", really, really enjoyed it. David Baldacci's, "Wish You Well". Then any books by Richard Preston. Some of them will scare you to pieces, but, oh how true. You realize, if it weren't for Jehovah, mankind would have already destroyed himself. His books are about science and medicine.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

I'm sort of excited. I found a book, "Girl of the Limberlost", on CD. I get to go pick it up at the postoffice today. I have to admit I enjoy audio books. Do a lot of traveling in my little Subaru. I also listen to theocratic talks and music a lot.

If you are an animal person, and come across, "The Cat Who Came in from the Cold", by Derrick London, I think, it is a keeper!

I'm sort of excited. I found a book, "Girl of the Limberlost", on CD. I get to go pick it up at the postoffice today. I have to admit I enjoy audio books. Do a lot of traveling in my little Subaru. I also listen to theocratic talks and music a lot.

If you are an animal person, and come across, "The Cat Who Came in from the Cold", by Derrick London, I think, it is a keeper!

I hope you enjoy "Girl of the Limberlost". There was also a film adaptation in 1990. I think it was a Wonder Works feature on PBS. You might enjoy "Freckles" too, It is about the character Terrance O'More from "Girl". Maybe you have read it.  

-Dave

I hope you enjoy "Girl of the Limberlost". There was also a film adaptation in 1990. I think it was a Wonder Works feature on PBS. You might enjoy "Freckles" too, It is about the character Terrance O'More from "Girl". Maybe you have read it.  

-Dave

Nope, thanks. Good books are hard to find. I will have to try to find it.

I read The Silent Wife last summer. My husband said that was an oxymoron if ever there was one!

It was about a therapist who found out about her cheating husband. It was

A physiological thriller very sad how the mind works-and it was not gory or sex filled.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just finished reading "Wet Desert" by Gary Hansen. I couldn't put it down! It had suspense and action, believable, no bad language (that I noticed) or violence.

"Wet Desert is a crime fiction novel where Grant Stevens, a mid-level manager for the Bureau of Reclamation, helps the FBI track down an environmental terrorist attempting to restore the Colorado River by blowing up the dams."

I recently finished reading Puddin' Head Wilson by Mark Twain.  I want to read the book by Josephus (a brother has it in our hall), and he's offered me up some bound volumes of WT from 50's!  Apparently he has a set, but this stash is from his Mom who passed away, I'd love to get my grubby little hands on them.  

Also, I was browsing around looking for the book of the wars of Jehovah.  Seeing if there was a rendition of it somewhere.  I haven't begun an earnest search yet though.  

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

I've just finished reading "My Man Jeeves", the first collection of Jeeves stories (and others) by P.G.Wodehouse.  I read it to my wife who loves being read to.

We are now reading "The Prince And Betty" also by Wodehouse.  We love his whimsical humour.

I've just finished reading "My Man Jeeves", the first collection of Jeeves stories (and others) by P.G.Wodehouse.  I read it to my wife who loves being read to.

We are now reading "The Prince And Betty" also by Wodehouse.  We love his whimsical humour.

I wish I could find a Jeeves.  I wish I could afford a Jeeves.  LOL. 

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

Amazon has one free to use with a Kindle. If you don't have a Kindle you can download one on the tablet or computer.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

• 4 months later...

I really like Robert Rutherfurd. His newest novel is 'Paris'. He writes brilliant historical novels in an interesting manner. Hard to put down.

I have just finished 'A Tale of Two Cities' by Dickens, and I'm ready for some more Paris.  A google search brings up Edward Rutherfurd, so I found his book Paris ok. I've ordered London too, in keeping with the two cities theme.

What I like about historical novels is that they show how man apart from Jehovah hasn't succeeded in ruling themselves.  And man's foolishness is repeated over and over again.  Without Jehovah, they have no way out.  The French Revolution particularly appalled me in the ruthlessness of those deprived (and depraved) citizens and citizenesses of desperate Paris.  It's a foregleam of how rabid people will become in the GT

Apparently Dickens, when he wrote it a few decades after the Revolution, used extensive first hand sources and the well-researched tome of Carlyle's History of the French Revolution (http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1301 ), meaning that his novel is quite accurately describing how people reacted at that time. 

And yet, the "Ideals" of the French Revolution were lofty ones.  Now what do we see?  The ideals of the nations show the full demonic spectrum - no more hiding behind "lofty ideals".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...