JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Church must make women bishops, say MPs

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4824 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Church must make women bishops, say MPs

The Government is being asked to remove the Church of England's exemption from equality laws if it does not end the bar to women being made bishops.

A group of influential MPs will tomorrow call for Parliament to intervene over the historic reform as fears grow that the Church will reject plans allowing female bishops.

Traditionalists believe that a rise in the number of opponents of female priests to the Synod has improved their chances of blocking the law, which can only pass if it receives a two-thirds majority in the houses of laity, clergy and bishops.

Many of them feel that the current legislation does not provide sufficient concessions to those who cannot accept women as bishops.

However, Mr Field has tabled an early day motion, which could abolish the Church's current exemption from equality laws relating to gender discrimination and ultimately force it to consecrate women.

"A lot of people in the house [of Commons] fear the measure will fall and we are determined not to stand on the sidelines if this happens," said the Labour MP and former minister.

"We're only acting because we sense there's an overwhelming wish in the Church of England to have women bishops."

He also pointed to figures that show that more women are being ordained now than men, and said it would be "absurd" for women to be barred any longer from the top jobs.

telegraph.co.uk

I wonder if this passes would they start making it a rule for all religious organisations?

I am sure all my Brothers and Sisters out there must be wondering the same as me... 'Why do the scriptures at Acts 4:31 and 5:29 spring to mind?'

It doesn't matter what man legislates, can you see any Sister worth her salt applying for an Elders position? Anyway, we already have all our sisters as ministers anyway, so let them argue with that, I say.