JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

All things RBC

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3343 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Hello Rick!  It's nice to see someone from my home, Modesto on this site.  When I saw N. Cal. I wondered if it was someone we knew, and the more I read, the more I was sure of it.  I'm glad to see you encourage the friends to sign up for RBC because I think some have the idea they can just go to help out when a build or remodel comes to their area.  (That's what I find when talking with some.)  I was motivated to sign up when I learned there were jobs coming to Modesto.  In Feb. we went to Stockton for an orientation, which was just wonderful to experience.  We were interviewed, photographed, watched the safety video, were introduced to the builder website, given our badge, all official.  What a change from the "old days."

Our first experience with building a K.H. was "back in the day" before the quick build era.  Our first hall in Modesto on Tully Rd (were you old enough to remember?)  It took some months but anyone and everyone had a part.  That is no longer a K.H., being sold to build the one on Carver Rd.  My husband, Larry, being a building contractor, you'd think some of it would rub off on me, but I am as ignorant and unskilled as any newbie in that dept, but there was always plenty to do elsewhere, in food prep, cleanup, you name it.  The joy of it is being with your brothers and sisters sharing in the work, knowing the reason is to have a place to worship and honor Jehovah.  That is why we try to encourage all to sign up and get acquainted with the new program.  Looking forward to our coming project and, though I don't know what I will be doing, it may be hard work, but it will be enjoyable.  Hope to see you there.

• 1 month later...

Wish I could but we're in the dark here also about when the changes will be implemented and how many new changes are in the works. We have the same info here that change is a coming and the LDC will be the head of that change.

I guess we will all have to wait on Jehovah with these new aspects of our mission to care for the millions yet to come into the organization. But the Branch did say we have to stop trying to think locally and start thinking globally and that the things being put in place now will go right on into the new world.

Just think we will have already gotten our assignment for work after Armageddon before Armageddon. We will be a well oiled machine for building in the new world with all the basics for safety in building practices and construction methods already in place to hit the ground running without having to invent the wheel over again. Organization, that's the word that comes from our creator and is demonstrated all around us in his creation.

I'm fairly certain Jehovah will take care of the demo work but we will have to care for the construction work.

So get yourself signed up with your local RBC. Get your volunteer application filled out and submitted to your congregation secretary so you can get ready along with the rest of us to be part, not only of the great preaching and building going on now, but will be set to be part of the even greater work of turning this globe into a paradise in our new world.

Millions will be resurrected needing a place to live. A place to learn about Jehovah and his righteous principles. Millions will need a long lasting home from this side of Armageddon right after Armageddon, so being part of this building work will pay benefits now and then.

I see no reason why everyone is not signed up to be part of the RBC. It is not a place for only the young or young of heart. It is not a place for only those currently construction savvy. It is a place for all of Jehovah's people to step up and make yourself available and show our heavenly father where your complete heart is. There are many who are patient and willing to teach any thing you want to learn. FREE  

Many hands make the work go so much easier and the association is wonderful, fun and so rewarding. And it makes our heavenly father's heart glad to see the whole association of brothers and sisters working together in the field service and kingdom building work, globally. And remember he is looking for a way to bless your efforts so why not sign up with the RBC and be a part of this great work.

Now to get down off my soap box. Stay tuned. As we get more information, some one will let you know of the new changes coming.  :uhhuh:

In Vancouver we were told we have one more hall under the RBC program.. It will take us about 4-5 months to complete.. Since it's a three story .. Concrete building with underground parking .. I sort of get the impression it may take awhile to get up to speed and everyone trained.. All of our main RBC brothers are 55 plus so they won't be called in as full time servants.. So it is going to take awhile to train new ones... Could use a few angels:)

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

Quote From Brother Rick

"I see no reason why everyone is not signed up to be part of the RBC. It is not a place for only the young or young of heart. It is not a place for only those currently construction savvy. It is a place for all of Jehovah's people to step up and make yourself available and show our heavenly father where your complete heart is. There are many who are patient and willing to teach any thing you want to learn. FREE "

I appreciate yor comment, but I have to say that brings a little pain.

I have worked with RBC, really enjoyed it. I am glad that we now have uniform directions for all projects. I have been in charge of the site, I have worked as a framer, done acoustic ceilings, engineered and constructed trusses for a major remodel, served as Wednesday superintendent on a Assembly Hall remodel and almost forgot did the survey work on the KH. Nine years ago while working on the assembly Hall and managing the site for a new KH construction I had my first ambulance ride to the emergency. I did finish up the site work at the KH, finished up the plans for another KH, but had to throw in the towel. Your statement bothered me "it is a place for all?" Yes if their health allows.

Enjoy, but remember there are many that walked that walk but like Ecclesiates Says the "...the grasshopper drags itself along,"

We can't all do it.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Three yrs ago we had a sister with literally a broken back working in the dessert tent wrapping cookies brownies etc.Another brother that had neck surgery sat at the gate checking ID's. The elderly and infirmed offered their homes and sent desserts. Some were not physically there but their contributions were equally valued and everyone was encouraged by their efforts because all things are possible with Jah.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Let my words, like vegetables, be tender and sweet, for tomorrow these words, I may have to eat~

:uhhuh: 

Sorry about your pain. That brings to mind, "Them that can't do Teach." I hear they give classes at the builds in our area covering instruction on how to get the work done with the same mind set and techniques.

My rants are not necessarily directed at you but those who are holding back from putting in their volunteer applications simply because they don't want to work for no pay, as though they're going to be exploited if they sign up and that their time is so valuable that they have to expend it making money, all the time. It's also directed at those who feel they have nothing to contribute, no construction skills.

My personal opinion is if you make yourself available you might be surprised what doors open and what opportunities will present themselves, that perfect niche you fit in that Jehovah needs filled. Time flies when you're having fun, only if you make yourself available.

I have an 84 year old brother in my hall who wants to help so much so that he is willing to try anything to be a contributing member of the RBC. He knows I'm in the design team and approached me a week ago to ask if I would take the time to teach him AutoCAD. I felt it my privilege and responsibility to respond "Yes". Don't know if he will be able to make quick progress but he has time on his hands and the desire to learn. He too has many years of construction experience and can't swing a hammer like he used to but he's making himself available to try anything to feel like a contributing member of the RBC. I know the Design Teams are always looking for consultants on each phase of the design for ideas and making sure we have the plans reading correctly and clearly.

He turned in his volunteer application not long ago and got a cool response from the elders in our hall due to his age, that wasn't very encouraging but he is determined to find something to contribute. Like it's been already said, if you want to help there is a place for you to humbly take, to demonstrate your resolve.

My advice is to list all your experience on your online profile. There are brothers who regularly peruse those files looking for slots to fill of needs that must be fulfilled. For those with a complete willing heart, there is something that you can do that is going to be needed eventually. You just have to make yourself available and Jehovah will use you.

I know another brother in another state who has waited for two years just to get his application approved by his congregation because he suffers from PTSD. He made the mistake of snapping at one of his elders one time and they refused to approve his application until he demonstrated he could hold his temper in check in stressful situations. I kept encouraging him to be patient, that it would happen when Jehovah felt he could keep it together and could fill a need that he wouldn't fail at. He finally got the approval he waited so long for just to find out that his first assignment was to direct traffic at the parking lot. His response was "Old Lord." But he swallowed his pride and graciously accepted his assignment. He fretted over his assignment and prayed to Jehovah about whither he was right for this as he doesn't like dealing with people so much. I just felt a little mischievous and suggested he bar the elders in his congregation from coming in since they held him back so long from being approved, which got a good laugh, but we both know that wouldn't fly so he would never have followed that advice. But low and behold at the last possible minute someone read his online profile and saw he was a professional trucker for years with a stellar record and an active class A license and changed his assignment to trucking after asking if he was willing to help driving truck. He almost jumped out of his skin with "Yes I can do that."

He called me right away to let me know the good news, I reminded him how he demonstrated patience and willingness to Jehovah and Jehovah made sure he got an assignment he was not only comfortable with but was truly able to perform successfully and bring honor to our Heavenly Father. I've known him for years as a very careful truck driver. Now he calls to tell me how much they like his driving and he has more to do than he ever expected. Just goes to show everyone, including myself, that you don't know what you'll end up with as an assignment until you sign up and make your self available.

Our Heavenly Father wants us to succeed and will never allow his servants to either take on more than they can handle nor more than they can care for. He only gives us the responsibility that we can successfully handle. That applies in the congregation and in the field. He want us to succeed, and like any responsible parent he watches us first get up on our feet, waits for us to learn to walk then run. Then he gives us a little responsibility to show both him and ourselves that we can handle that responsibility successfully. He wants us to develop confidence in ourselves. Then as we mature he loads us up with all we can successfully handle to get his purpose done.

Even though we have no idea what we will be called upon to do, if you have a willing heart that is completely given to do what ever Jehovah sees fit to have done, you will never be disappointed and you will have certain success. I say these words not because I'm trying to sound grandiose but it comes from my own experience and observations. I have great passion for all that put themselves out for service with disabilities, be they physical or mental, we are all losing our minds, and I've seen it over and over that not just the young and healthy have a place in Jehovah's service but all can be used by Jehovah if we just give it a chance and patiently try.

Now down off my soap box.  :uhhuh:

Edited by Mybrick

Really!   

RBC > LDC 

*   Not sure when the change kicks in, but it is supposed to shift from Regional Building Committee to Local Design Construction.   

Tell us more   ...  

Quote from Brother Rick:

"I guess we will all have to wait on Jehovah with these new aspects of our mission to care for the millions yet to come into the organization. But the Branch did say we have to stop trying to think locally and start thinking globally and that the things being put in place now will go right on into the new world."

stop locally - start globally ???   ...   isn't that the opposite then?   ...   RBC > LDC   ...   Regional > Local?  

Right now we are on standby because of all the conventions July-August for the English and Spanish. It looks like from September on will be pretty busy with 2 double hall remodels and two double new builds. The deco dept. is now split up into four teams to handle the load. I would love to speak to someone in the deco dept. at the branch who could help us with the design boards online. Are they set in stone or are some of the color choices optional? Whom shall we use for furniture since we now lost our main supplier? Is there going to be some sort of guideline for each region? For instance no more wall sconces because of city codes unless they are existing, and no more pillars on stage and tile work on walls because they are too time consuming. When are this reps from the branch going to visit each RBC and will we have access to contact them with questions. I am eager to get started and follow direction, I guess I just need to work on patience...lol

Let my words, like vegetables, be tender and sweet, for tomorrow these words, I may have to eat~

I applied to the RBC a few years ago in the congregation I was in at the time.  I was and am a publisher in good standing within the congregation.  No one ever got back to me, though.  It would have been nice just to have found out the reason why I couldn't participate.

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

I applied to the RBC a few years ago in the congregation I was in at the time.  I was and am a publisher in good standing within the congregation.  No one ever got back to me, though.  It would have been nice just to have found out the reason why I couldn't participate.

No reason I don't think...I was super persistent and I think they put me in so I would stop buggin. JK I think it's just a matter of getting organized. Submit your app. In again to the secretary and follow up on it and be available at the next project and let them know you'd like to watch the safety video and be interviewed. I have a friend that's an elder that submitted app. 4 times before he was finally processed. I'm sure if you are a publisher in good standing they won't have a problem using you. I started out picking up nails with a huge magnet then chopping onions at 5am...lol don't give up!

No reason I don't think...I was super persistent and I think they put me in so I would stop buggin. JK I think it's just a matter of getting organized. Submit your app. In again to the secretary and follow up on it and be available at the next project and let them know you'd like to watch the safety video and be interviewed. I have a friend that's an elder that submitted app. 4 times before he was finally processed. I'm sure if you are a publisher in good standing they won't have a problem using you. I started out picking up nails with a huge magnet then chopping onions at 5am...lol don't give up!

Thanks, Trisha!  I'll try again!  :)

Say Jerry, I just couldn't get your plight out of my mind today. Your said your "first ambulance ride" as though there have been more than one. I hope you are still moving on your own steam. Sounds like your life now isn't what it used to be and that's a painful thought. If your not able to physically help I hate to think that all that experience is going to waste not being passed on to anyone else. That's why I suggested teaching. But it occurred to me there is a need in the design department for construction savvy brothers and sisters who are available to do preliminary plan checks for the team.

You don't need to be able to do CAD nor even use a computer if you don't want. All you need is the ability to read and a red pen. Every sheet we produce must be checked for accuracy and clarity. Spell checking and grammar are part of the preliminary things looked at but construction experience comes in where while looking at the plan seeing if anything jumps out at you as not being clearly stated in the notes about what ever the sheet is about. Or is there a note needed to clarify what is drawn?

Someone sometimes needs to look up look up hardware model numbers to verify those things are still available and lighting model numbers for the same reason. Also accuracy so the purchasing department is ordering the right items. Makeing sure the HVAC model numbers jive with what is needed to be orders and so forth. It sound like you fit that description of the construction savvy. If this sounds like something you might be interested in please contact your RBC Design Department Overseer and ask if they have this need. I know our group is always looking for this kind of help and especially so now that we've been asked if we can put out a complete, ready to go for permit, set of plans each month.

As far as your issue Jules about not having anyone get in touch with you, it is as Trisha said, you need to reapply. If you changed congregations, and every time any one changes congregations, you must reapply and be approved by your current congregation. You also have to go through the safety training and get your volunteer number then go online and fill out your profile as to what you know how to do and what you want to learn to do at least once. And she is correct that you must sometimes bug your secretary to make sure the paperwork is approved by the elder body and forwarded on to the local RBC in a timely fashion. If you're in the design department you also have to go the jw.org website and register with the branch in order to then have your department overseer use your unique number so they can register you to receive Watchtower CAD free of charge to draw plans with. Who knows what other exciting opportunities will be offered.

And not to leave you out Tim, but we only need 1,200 new Kingdom Halls and 1,900 remodels here in the US but globally there is a need for 13,000 Kingdom Halls now and we don't know when we may be called upon to draw for our brothers in other countries to meet their needs or maybe even be invited to personally help like we are being invited to help back East. I already am working with a brother in Panama on making territories in his assignment which doesn't have street names, numbers or a map of the local area. So thinking globally reaching out for opportunities is not out of the realm of possibility. The LDC is who will coordinate these assignments as needed and as you show a willingness to help in any way possible you may be called upon to assist. 

Anyone else have a comment?       :uhhuh:

Rick, thanks for the information.  All this happened when I was in my old congregation.  I didn't hear anything for two years before I moved into my current congregation.  I'm not sure what the problem was, but, I will try again.  Thanks for the info.  :)

Really!   

RBC > LDC 

*   Not sure when the change kicks in, but it is supposed to shift from Regional Building Committee to Local Design Construction.   

Tell us more   ...  

We were recently informed that their will be permanent volunteers assigned to areas that are in need of lots of KH.  

They will be in charge of all aspects of the building work.

I am not sure exactly what this all means, but it is what we were told.

We had a brother from South Africa at our KH last week for the IC.  He gave us some info about the changes coming.  He is in charge of all new KH Construction in South Africa.  He said they are building a KH every 6 weeks, and he was  recently asked by the branch if they can shorten that to every 4 weeks.  

Is it a one year wait or 6 month wait before applying after baptism?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i guess my question must also need a wait of a year or six months here too. : (

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In Canada they are going to start with a couple of RBC's. That are in need of a lot of assistance and slowly ramp up from there ..

I am in Vancouver... our team is pretty well established and our cost versus budget is pretty well dead on.

We have five years of new Kingdom Halls already planned and some other projects in the works.. We are now into building multiple level concrete structures with underground parking.. Since the cost of property is so high here

Since this is such a huge change in structure and lack of trained full time servants .. They told us to keep on going with the current structure .. The branch indicated that they have no idea when this could or would be fully implemented .. It may take years.. This really is a huge change in direction.. But if Jehovah wants it ... It will happen

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

Al from Chicago, I'm sorry for not responding to your request for information but I have my regional convention this weekend and also I had to check my facts so I'm a little slow responding in a timely fashion.

The fact is after baptism there is no waiting period after baptism for you to put in your application. The only requirements for volunteering for RBC is baptism and a good standing in your congregation, meaning the elder body has to approve your application before it is forwarded on to your RBC.

Hope this is encouraging news.    :uhhuh:

In another note I have some interesting news to report regarding some of the new improvements we are applying toward Kingdom Hall design.

The branch is very interested in saving money for the congregations in maintaining the hall after it is build such as reducing the electric bill and toward that end we are using LED lighting as much as possible. I recently designed an electrical system for our new project which enabled us to remove a 400 amp single phase panel which was feeding all the lighting and HVAC units down to a 200 amp three phase panel which now draws 139 amps total. This use of new LED lighting and three phase for the HVAC reduced their bill by about half. And the really cool thing is these LED lights have a manufacture life time of 27 years on lights in the hall and 400 years for parking lot lights. Won't have to change bulbs till after Armageddon.      :ecstatic:

The branch is also interested in having us put in solar panel on all the halls and assembly halls to reduce our dependence on the utility companies. That will reduce our electrical bill even more. To begin with there is a hiccup that states we can't use batteries to store the power but after a few years each hall can purchase batteries which will be store the electricity so it can be used at night to run the lights and possibly the HVAC we could very well turn off the utility power all together. This makes sense since the Great Tribulation is coming and some of these utilities might take it upon themselves to turn our power off any way and if Jehovah tells us to run to his house the lights will be on.

The saving in power cost will allow us to recover the cost of purchasing the solar panels in about 3 1/2 years then after that power will be free as we will be making enough to pay for the HVAC and lights to run anytime we need them. That's with today's panel costs, as time goes by and the panels become cheaper to purchase the cost to put solar on a hall will be reduced even more. Besides that I don't believe the cost of electricity will go down any so it makes even more sense to install the solar panels.

We also realized we don't have to put the light poles up so high using LED parking lot lights because the lights are made up of many small LED's which are directed in just the right way to cover a 48 foot area in front and side of the light and not behind the light so the neighbors won't have their yards lit up by our lights, that way they might not complain so much that our lights are shining in their eyes and keeping them up at night.

By the way for those who want to know, LED stands for light emitting diode which not only emits light but does so without all the heat that regular lights radiate. I recently purchase a new LED TV and my yearly cost to run the unit is $16 which goes to show how efficient LED's work.

Well, found my feet again so back off my soap box.    :uhhuh:

Edited by Mybrick

Last night at dinner a brother said that they were doing away with the RBC arrangement and all building-related things were going to be done directly from the Bethel. Not sure if that is just Canada or worldwide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last night at dinner a brother said that they were doing away with the RBC arrangement and all building-related things were going to be done directly from the Bethel. Not sure if that is just Canada or worldwide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk