JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

All things RBC

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3369 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Could someone tell me what the age requirements are for the RBC.

My son is 16, good standing, baptized and being on the RBC is something he would really like to do.  He also would love to travel and help out with projects around the world/country, my husband works for a major airline so my son has the ability to travel free for many years to come.

Today a brother from England was visiting our hall and he is on the RBC over there and was talking to my son about the Bethel project in England.  He informed my son it's a 5 yr project and they will need help with that and he gave my son his email and said he could stay with them in England if my son decided to go over there. Just not sure how that all works, travelling to RBC Projects.

Right now at 16 my son is not licensed in a trade and is still in school.  He is a hard worker and has done numerous minor home repair projects for friends at the hall, like putting up new fences, working on landscaping, helping with minor plumbing stuff, roofing, drywall, etc.  Being a general worker I assume is something he could start out with.

What age can he be to sign up for the RBC?  I have heard at 16 he can do some work like landscaping but he has to be 18 to do major work? Is this correct?  Would him being licensed in a trade help him more as far as working on RBC projects in other parts of the country/world or would just a few years as a general worker in the RBC allow him to possibly travel to other parts to work on RBC projects?

Thanks in advance to any who can help.

With the current RBC arrangement .... (the organisational change to the RBC may change some of this)

In the UK, the age is 16 years old minimum. You have to be invited to work on a project however unless you are part of the local congregation.  You are signed in and if you are not on the list then it may be a problem to get on site.

The Temple Farm project will have volunteer requirements but these are yet to be announced.  I would be surprised however if they do not implement a registration, invite and sign in process.

Having said that I am sure that it would not be impossible for your son to get an invite if you go through some local contacts.  I don't know of any RBC restrictions on workers from abroad but it would be worth checking.  The main issue may be medical insurance.  A standard travel insurance policy may not cover him for working on building sites, even as an unpaid volunteer.  Bear in mind there is no insurance that covers workers as we have the NHS in the UK.   He would also need to be very careful what he says at immigration.  The UK Border Service will want to know lots of information even if he says he is going to do unpaid, volunteer work. If they think he going to do work on a tourist visa then he may even be refused entry.  Believe me - it happens.

There is the International Construction Worker programme.  This is the official way that workers from around the world work on various projects.  You would need to have RBC experience and then express your desire to work on this.  It's a form of full time service so expect to be on a project for several weeks or months.  It's not really there for casual stints.

At the end of the day, any willing volunteer is appreciated and I am sure if he wanted to come to the UK then it could be arranged.  Just don't book a flight and turn up as it may not work out as you wish!

As far as Tony's comment about pioneering as opposed RBC, there isn't any restriction to my knowledge. They are both equally important. We have to make disciples and we have to have a place to meet with them. We have many pioneers in our ranks and they are allowed to count their time on the design team as pioneer time. They aren't pioneer RBC but their time is counted as part of their pioneer service to Jehovah. So it must be a personal decision to pioneer or RBC but not both.

I didn't get what you were saying brother...alot of Ellders and Pioneers in our RBC

Let my words, like vegetables, be tender and sweet, for tomorrow these words, I may have to eat~

:uhhuh: 

I do know that our RBC, and I'm assuming all RBC's, have different levels of work areas which are based on non-hazard to hazardous, and age does play a factor in these levels of responsibility. You should check about this also. For example working parking cars isn't as hazardous as working on a roof and so on.

As I recall, when I first signed up my RBC I.D. card was blue. In order to use power tools I had to get a red I.D. card. I believe the state of California requires a person to be 18 years of age,(or older), to use power tools on a job site. Could some one please verify if this is the case?

As far as Tony's comment about pioneering as opposed RBC, there isn't any restriction to my knowledge. They are both equally important. We have to make disciples and we have to have a place to meet with them. We have many pioneers in our ranks and they are allowed to count their time on the design team as pioneer time. They aren't pioneer RBC but their time is counted as part of their pioneer service to Jehovah. So it must be a personal decision to pioneer or RBC but not both.

I didn't get what you were saying brother...alot of Ellders and Pioneers in our RBC

This was my understanding as well. The question was prompted by all the talk about change along with Sherry's post, (Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:47 PM), and Lee's response, (Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:25 PM). It almost made it sound like an either/or condition. Just needed to be sure I didn't miss any RBC/LDC light, lol.

yes 18 yrs old for to use power tools.

and yes, to you can do RBC/LDC ,as of now and pioneer.(weather that changes down the road I have no clue) :)

once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing strips with plaid is easy. Einstein

My terminology "Pioneer RBC" referred to signing up to pioneer and putting in all your time in doing RBC efforts and never going door to door or conducting Bible studies.

You sign up to pioneer as your primary goal but any time you put into RBC is acceptable as countable time toward reaching your annual pioneer goal. You do have to have your trade overseer sign your time slip for verification. If you want to full time RBC that is acceptable also.

I am still turning in my RBC time along with my regular time at the end of the month just to let the congregation and CO know where I am during the month. I'm not pioneering at the moment and I don't know if the Branch is even aware of my time spent but the elders in my congregation, CO and Jehovah know and that's fine by me.

There must be millions of brothers and sisters who make the time to do any thing they can to contribute toward the building of Jehovah's houses of worship, filling those houses with new disciples and still make a living, serve as servants in the congregation and keep a balanced family life. No matter what you feel comfortable doing, Jehovah accepts your happy contribution.

I am invited to about 3 or 4 RBC projects each year...for 4 days each.  So plenty of time to pioneer and also work with the RBC.  I try to get my hours in without using the RBC hours...but last year, a tough year for me...I was glad to use the RBC hours.  This past year...I didn't need them.

I love working with all the brothers and sisters on the KH projects...and seeing new halls built in honor and praise to Jehovah.  Have one coming up 3rd week this month.  New hall being built in Fletcher, NC.  Can't wait.

"Be imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises." Hebrews 6:12

I'm a little late to this thread but I appreciate the many good comments by everyone. Rick I thank you for your input. I work with the Ohio 1 rbc, my departments are demolition, roofing and hvac. I have the least experience in hvac so I'm basically a helper. It is real exciting work in hvac. Similarly with Rice's statement about everyone who can (physically, mentally) participate in this field should be encouraged to see if it will work for them. I worked on an assignment and this brother 70+ years old was up on the roof helping out as best as he could. I appreciate his spirit and obviously Jehovah’s does too. There are numerous assignments that doesn't require physical work. I'm not putting down any assignment that friends have on sites I've helped out with but site check in, food service, safety are some assignments that aren't physically demanding.

Ava, your son is to be commended on his desire on helping the the friends.

If any have applied to rbc with their secretary and receive no word after a month, my encouragement is to lovingly ask secretary monthly on the status of it. And I'm stressing lovingly ask.

As for age of volunteers (which may vary from state in USA) here's the official word from 2009 revision. (I hope I'm not in trouble with moderators on posting this info for volunteers.)

Also if any are interested in rbc work, and if you have a smartphone or tablet device, you log on and in their presence let them see all the trades, skills and other departments that one can be involved in. Under skills tab.

post-4555-0-42252600-1410556089_thumb.jp

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

• 2 weeks later...

Hello brother Ashley, nice to hear from a fellow slave for our brothers.

I heard an interesting comment  from a brother in England, where he said the local RBC had been "disbanded". His word and so far no explanation. I curious because our local RBC still has had no comment from the LDC on the west coast here in the states. I'm only speculating, that because of inactivity the Branch was restructuring his area, but as far as I've heard the RBC's are here to stay as I've stated before and this follows the same line of thought from others of our network here.

I still would like to be introduced to someone in our area LDC so we can hear it from the horses mouth what is in mind specifically so I can fully understand the path before me, but that's just me. That being said I will be happy with what ever the Branch has in store for us and will help to the best of my ability where ever I'm needed.

Hope to hear from you more as time goes by.

Edited by Mybrick

I recently received the "Warwick Project Volunteer Survey" through the RBC. It included my RBC number and included this introductory paragraph:

We are excited to report that excellent progress is being made at the World Headquarters Construction Project in
Warwick NY! RBC volunteers are working hard to support this project. To better understand what trade skills exist
among all RBC volunteers, we ask that you complete and submit the following survey...

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I wish I heard something from the rbc for any kind of assignment. I haven't gotten an email for months. I know July was for conventions in my area and August was for special campaign but besides that NOTHING!I check builder assist about every week.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

I just had the beginnings of an interesting conversation with my trade overseer today and one I hope to continue tomorrow. The structuring of the construction arm of the Branch is still being implemented it seems and things are a changing. I still haven't gotten the whole picture but acronyms are changing also.

One thing is the Branch is really simplifying all construction so the there are many similarities that will be the standard for all halls from now on. The same brand of paint, the same stack able chairs and so on. There will be only four plans to choose from for all halls. And each of these new halls will have no literature counters. All brothers and sisters will pick up their literature to be used that day and no more from a self serve kiosk in the hall. Which makes sense, that way no one will have literature collecting dust on shelves in their homes. That will also give more room on the floor for seating or other things.

As I find out more I'll share.

Those are some nice new developments. Thanks Rick! ☺

• 4 weeks later...

So far...post-742-0-54810200-1413868160_thumb.jpg

Entryway

New wall art

Repurposed chair was previously medium cherry

Stained chair darker with a fogging technique using Old Masters Rich Mahogany.

Edited by AFROKITTY

Let my words, like vegetables, be tender and sweet, for tomorrow these words, I may have to eat~

I am a member of the design team in our RBC and I wanted to start a forum where fellow workers could share their experiences and solutions to problems they've in countered during different projects. With the goals set by the Branch and the new tools we have at our disposal to accomplish these goals, there are bound to be some interesting and encouraging experiences along the way.

I also wanted to point out the changing attitude toward this work being accomplished by many with busy lives beyond the RBC. My statement here is inspired by my CO's last visit when he asked what department in the RBC I was working in and his response to the design team was "Argh, that is one of the most misunderstood and unappreciated departments in the RBC". Seems the only time this department is thought of is when someone wants to know what's taking so long.

I'm not complaining nor wishing to use this forum to air any grievances. My goal is to tell and hear encouraging experiences that will help others to reach out in this vital work. After all where are all the new ones going to meet if all don't step up from our busy lives and give of our time, energies and monies to construct new halls and remodel aging facilities to the praiseworthy places of worship to the glory of our Heavenly Father.

The Branch is using the comment that the "Chariot is on the move" and our work is before us to meet this great influx, and with this in mind we are to construct 1,200 new halls and remodel 1,900 existing halls in the next five years here in the US.

Any comment?

Just 8 months since Rick started this thread, not just RBC > LDC > CG?   ...   but also all of the Major adjustments and approaches made throughout these 9 pages. 

Please keep us informed of other consolidation.   ... I'm sure theres a lot more to come.    ... http://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/activities/construction/jw-building-without-borders-video/

Edited by timpin

Remodel of a Corrugated building in the downtown area.

Will be stucco and ledge stone.

The chain link fence will be replaced with wrought Iron.

post-742-0-96188000-1414018072.jpg

Platform,

No more pillars : (  Due to time and expense I assume. 

They were made off site, the brothers had to squeeze em in...lol

The wall is Variance Sherwin Williams Ecru and Burlap

Stain Old Masters Rich Mahogany

Painted Trim Behr Mayan Red

Carpet Mohawk....last time.

post-742-0-77504300-1414023250.jpg

Lit. counter, Oak in Old Masters Rich Mohogany topped off with Venetian Gold Granite

Sisters Restroom, Mothers area, Sherwin Williams Rural Green and Hearts of Palm

Tile Interceramic Oxide Argilla on the floor and Oxide Quarzo on the walls.

Momma and Baby Giraffe. :wub:

Most accents were purchased at Atgstores.com a Lowes store.  also Homedecorators.com Home Depot store. 

Auditorium seating not in till first week of November! Praying before zone meeting. 

I learned a lot this project.  not totally happy but hopefully I'll get another chance.

Seating will be a surprise..to me and you! lol had to change fabric 3 times due to price.

Sorry Rick I guess I need to start my own blog...I think I did before...moderators will help me!

Was so much work but the joy surpassed it all!

I love you guys! :wub:

post-742-0-12517200-1414023751.jpg

post-742-0-35038000-1414023769.jpg

post-742-0-29070900-1414023784.jpg

Edited by AFROKITTY