JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3596 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

If they use both, then no; it does not matter.

But if they get a large print now (which is intended for people with poor eye sight) just for the sake of having a big one, and then toss it aside once they can have the real study bible, that would be a waste. And I think that does matter.

I think the friends should at least understand the difference before making the choice whether to get a large print or not.

I don't see a problem with some having both, but some having an extra large bible lying around just because they didn't understand, when they might have decided to wait for the study bible. And from what I'm observing, a lot of people want the 'new big bible'. In the end that will make a difference.

I understand what you are saying.  I don't think anyone will just toss aside their large print bible when they get a study one.  I'm sure the bible will get used.  They may give it to their kids, or to a bible study or to someone else at the congregation.  I know for me, I have always had two bibles.  I used my reference for at home for studying and then I had the non reference bible I used for meetings and the ministry.  I will probably do that again once the study bible comes out, that will be my home bible, and my large print will be used at meetings/ministry.

I don't know about your congregation, but I know at ours only a few people ordered the big bible.  

The study bible is a ways off, and if someone orders a large print now for whatever reason, I just don't think that it is wrong.  I do see what you are saying though, I just don't agree is all.

Edited by ava

I don't think it's wrong either.

The point I'm trying to make is that many are not aware that there will be another bible/study bible available. Many call this one the study bible because they don't know any better. If they did they might not order the large print bible.

That's a fact I have observed.

The edition that is now available is the large print edition, as mention at annual general meeting the reference will be released book by book on line, then be released in print when complete

Our local needs last night was about using the 2013 revision!

It seems some are still using their pocket Bibles (1984) because they don't want to 'spoil' their new Bible, and also the pocket one is just that - for the pocket, so lighter and easier to carry.

The brother went through some notes from the release of the Bible and encouraged everyone to use the new revision in the ministry and in personal Bible reading.

I asked a brother about this last night.  

He said "if the Governing Body feels that too many large print bibles are being ordered and they will not be able to keep up with the printing, they will let us know"  He also said there was no restriction that only people with vision problems should order the bible so there won't be a backlog.  He said when we were told we can request the large bible, it was directed to all who wanted one.

He said not to worry.  Our brothers have always been able to keep up with printing demands and that is not going to change anytime soon.

It seems some are still using their pocket Bibles (1984) because they don't want to 'spoil' their new Bible, and also the pocket one is just that - for the pocket, so lighter and easier to carry.

The brother went through some notes from the release of the Bible and encouraged everyone to use the new revision in the ministry and in personal Bible reading.

After all the trouble and waiting. :lol1: is that crazy or what?!?!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

if the Governing Body feels that too many large print bibles are being ordered and they will not be able to keep up with the printing, they will let us know"  ... brothers have always been able to keep up with printing demands and that is not going to change anytime soon.

Them not being able to keep up with the demand wasn't my issue. But that's ok. Don't worry about it lol

I'm sure the brothers have it under control. How could they not under Jesus' and Jehovah's guidance?

They don't need us to worry about anything. They know exactly what's going on.

That's the beautiful thing about our organization. A worldly organization couldn't even begin to handle anything like that!

After all the trouble and waiting. :lol1: is that crazy or what?!?!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I know, it's crazy. Those of us who really felt left out are using it, those who got it first can't be bothered to use it! It's almost like it came too easily for them to really appreciate it.

My wife and I started reading it January 1st and have kept up with daily Bible reading in it ever since. Almost finished 1st Samuel now. On track to complete it in one year.

CO is talking to us at meeting for service about our new bible. I sit there, thinking, "this is such a fantastic teaching device to be able to teach not just today, but after Armageddon". But our new bible is more fantastic then we already thought.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

We just had our Circuit visit.  He said that all the meetings for field service are based on outlines from the GB, and are regarding the use of the new features of the 2013 edition, how to use them and how to benefit from them in the ministry.  If you had no other literature, just your bible, you could the new features to start bible studies.

I think you are right Chris about not wanting to spoil the new bible, the COs are encouraging using the new one.  That is what it is there for.  You can always get another one.

With regards to the large print, about 25% of my congregation has placed an order for them.  I was only able to request 1/2 of the amount of bibles needed the first month, and a max of 4 and the next month request.

He said not to worry.  Our brothers have always been able to keep up with printing demands and that is not going to change anytime soon.

Besides printing, each congregation has a limit on publications ordered each month, with any extras put on the next shipment. So if a congregation has an allotment of twenty bibles, fifteen publishers have poor eyesight, and fifty order large bibles, a few older ones are going to be stuck with using printouts just because some want a home bible that will be sitting on a shelf for months at a time.

Of course each congregation should be able to manage their just fine, but if a lot of people are ordering due to a misunderstanding, it would probably best not to fill those orders until everyone with a legitimate need has received one.

In years past, my congregation had this problem with yearbooks and calendars. Our allotment is one per publisher, yet with the very first shipment, certain individuals inevitably request one for themselves, one each for their unbelieving family members, one each for their studies and their families, etc. In many cases, some would receive ten of each in February, many of which ended up on a shelf or in the trash, and half the congregation would end up using printouts for the first few Yearbook discussions on the service meeting, not receiving their actual books and calendars until June or July.

Besides printing, each congregation has a limit on publications ordered each month, with any extras put on the next shipment. So if a congregation has an allotment of twenty bibles, fifteen publishers have poor eyesight, and fifty order large bibles, a few older ones are going to be stuck with using printouts just because some want a home bible that will be sitting on a shelf for months at a time.

Of course each congregation should be able to manage their just fine, but if a lot of people are ordering due to a misunderstanding, it would probably best not to fill those orders until everyone with a legitimate need has received one.

In years past, my congregation had this problem with yearbooks and calendars. Our allotment is one per publisher, yet with the very first shipment, certain individuals inevitably request one for themselves, one each for their unbelieving family members, one each for their studies and their families, etc. In many cases, some would receive ten of each in February, many of which ended up on a shelf or in the trash, and half the congregation would end up using printouts for the first few Yearbook discussions on the service meeting, not receiving their actual books and calendars until June or July.

I really don't know what else to say.  This seems to be a real concern for you and I do understand.  Maybe you can express your concerns to an elder at your congregation so they can make sure that elderly ones and others with vision problems can get the large print bible first before anyone else.  

Since so much became available online I see no need for printed copies of some things, so I no longer get a yearbook, calendar, ESD etc. they are all at my fingertips wherever I am. Even magazines for personal use are on my tablet, just copies for use in the ministry do I get from the hall.

KM I get electronically, although the brothers still supply a paper one. I am trying to cut down on the need for printed material.

I wonder if, were it to be the case where those who didn't really need a paper copy stopped ordering them, the branches would not print so many, and actually save money and paper? How long would it take to have an effect?

I have the large print Bible 2013 already on my tablet - so I don't need to order one. When the online study editions become available, I believe they will be sufficient for my needs.

Since so much became available online I see no need for printed copies of some things, so I no longer get a yearbook, calendar, ESD etc. they are all at my fingertips wherever I am. Even magazines for personal use are on my tablet, just copies for use in the ministry do I get from the hall.

KM I get electronically, although the brothers still supply a paper one. I am trying to cut down on the need for printed material.

I wonder if, were it to be the case where those who didn't really need a paper copy stopped ordering them, the branches would not print so many, and actually save money and paper? How long would it take to have an effect?

I have the large print Bible 2013 already on my tablet - so I don't need to order one. When the online study editions become available, I believe they will be sufficient for my needs.

I too think the online "study" one will be sufficient for me. But the large print while giving a public talk - is really a necessity - for me. I don't like the idea of reading the Bible from a tablet for a PUBLIC talk - Theo School or CBS sure, but PUBLIC talk - just seems to send the wrong message to the public IMO.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I am now constantly taking the glasses off - to see the audience and back on to see the page. It would be nice to not have to wear them at all.

Thanks for understanding. I hope all that need a little larger print get theirs soon  :wave:

I checked our order and it hasn't been sent - yet.

Soon .....

I am now constantly taking the glasses off - to see the audience and back on to see the page. It would be nice to not have to wear them at all.

Thanks for understanding. I hope all that need a little larger print get theirs soon   :wave:

I checked our order and it hasn't been sent - yet.

Same with me!!!

Every year, vision just gets worse.  I got a new prescription last year, but lately, the glasses are not working so well especially reading small print.  Time to go to the eye doctor again.

I don't know when I will get mine, hoping soon though.  The little bible is getting harder and harder for me.  Our COBOE has the large bible and after looking at his, I am so jealous, lol.  It's really nice.