JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Star Trek - The Next Generation

Star Trek the Next Generation has now gone out of production for many years. And the series

produced many spinoffs. In its day it was ground braking in many ways. It showed many new techno-

logical concepts , among other things. Even as it's predecessor " Star Trek" had before.

Who here were fans of the show, and what was your favorite episode / episodes. What did you

learn from it that may apply to Jehovah's "eternal purpose" with regard what may happen after the

end of the 1000 years reign of Christ and the final binding and destruction of Satan ? What else did

you enjoy that would be placed in the pure "fun" category ?

GStorrs46

Brother Chuck,

I am sorry you learned nothing. Even science fiction has long been known to embody futuristic

concepts. Look at Jewels Vern. And with Jehovah's spirit, who knows ?

GStorrs46

You mean "Jules Verne" right?

I'm not saying we can't learn things and many SciFi writers are true visionaries, like Verne. But you asked what we could learn that applies to Jehovah's purpose and I learn all I need on that topic from God's word. 

Edited by Musky

Typo

I am an original series fan since about age 13, right before seriously studying.  As with the Truth, I appreciated the idea of all races living in harmony...Well, except for Klingons and Romulans.<g>

And I'm still hoping that with improved brains we will come up with a transporter.  ;-)

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

I have seen most of the star trek episodes (The Original Series, Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise - did not see the animated version) but I didn't really get to see most of them until the first movies came out.  I have also seen most of the movies, One thing that is totally unbelievable is the idea that humans will eventually learn on their own how to get along, even with the limited success depicted in these presentations.  The movie First Contact strongly suggested that the discovery of an alien culture is what brought humanity together. 

Frankly, I don't think that Jehovah will allow us to go very far out there before Armageddon.  We are ruining the earth now every day with pollution and wars and the self destructive misuse of technology.  He won't let us out there very far to mess up the rest of the universe in my opinion - those who are ruining the earth now have to be brought to ruin by God..  We are using money to go out there that could be spent feeding and housing and providing medical care for one another - what an incredible lack of love we are displaying by putting a greater priority on our curiosity than on our human fellow feeling. We haven't invented the matter transformer machine that makes food automatically, and people are starving to death, while others are sick from overweight diseases.  And will this same humanity learn how to get along with each other, when they can't even decide how to govern themselves, or more importantly, decide who is the true God to worship?  If our Creator ever does let us travel out there, something has to change,  it won't happen, again in my opinion, until we get ourselves spiritually and physically cleaned with Jesus' sacrifice.

Revelation 7:9, 10 tells us that there will be someone who will survive the upcoming Great Tribulation.  It also tells us that a humanity who is united, and who have overcome their national, tribal, popular and linguistic divisions, will be unitedly owing salvation to God, because they washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

Edited by rbrown1205

I apologize for the misspelling of Jules Vern. Before posting I did a quick online search for the correct spelling

and it showed both. so I chose the one I posted.

As far as Jehovah's "eternal purpose " questions have long been raised about what will happen after the 1000

years have ended. And the Bike is silent about the, except to tell us that the new scrolls will opened. Again we are

given no details about that either except that the "dead" will then be judged on the basis of what is in these scrolls.

Will they reveal future details concerning "God's eternal purpose". Again al this point it is only speculation. How-

ever based on what he has revealed with regard to this earth we can draw some conclusions. At Isa. 45:18 it says

Jehovah did not create the earth " simple for nothing, but created it to be inhabited." While no such statement exists

concerning the universe, we are left to ask in the words of Isa. 45:18, why did he create this vast universe not to 

day be inhabited. If these are sound conclusions, and many brothers down through the years have believed they

were, all the way back to Bro. Russell, then significant questions arise. One of which is that interstellar space

travel is impossible today. To travel anywhere in space out side of our solar system one would have to travel faster

than the speed of light. In fact the closest galaxy to our Milky Way is ( no not Andromeda ) the Canis Major Dwarf.

This is located 20,000 light years from earth. At least at present based on Einstein's theory of relativity the speed

of light ( 186,282 M.P.S. ) is the fastest anything can travel ( except in Einstein's famous time warps ). So if Je-

hovah does have a  "universal purpose" and this earth is only the first stage in that purpose, for human's to

travel at better than the speed of light  involves technologies  beyond what we have today Some brothers I have

heard discussing this said Jehovah might grant us the same ability that the angels have. And that is to thought

travel. You simply think of where you wish to go and you are then transported there. However angels are spirit

creatures, whereas we are flesh and blood. Can the same laws of physics that operate in the spirit world operate

on our earthly world. We have nothing to compare them with except for the biblical accounts of angels and the

Jesus after  his resurrection.

This then is what lead me to part of the technologies displayed in Star Wars - The Next Generation. Anyone

who has watched it is familiar with the terms "warp drive" and "hyperspace". and they accomplish their interstel-

lar mission by going many times the speed of light. While all of this is all this time science fiction, and not even

in the realm of possibility, what is to say what the future may bring ? Particularly if, Jehovah does in his due time

reveal that he does in fact have such a universal purpose. So time will tell. But that is just one of the things I

found personally interesting about the series and which I personally learned something.

GStorrs46

Yes, the concept of a united humanity is a globally appealing concept, and no doubt contributed to

the popularity of the series. But of course we know that will only be accomplished under Jehovah's

kingdom. As for other technologies show in the series, like the transporter, the holodeck, warp

drive and traveling faster than the speed of light, may be technologies Jehovah allowed to learn to

accomplish his will and for the happiness of the human family.

Certain it is, that nothing we can imagine today, will completely reflex the grandour of God's Kingdom.

GStorrs46

Brother Michael you are waaayyyy out there, past Canis Major Dwarf!! I like it. A brother who worked at NASA has the desire to travel the universe. His thought is Jehovah will give us our hearts desire so long as it is in line with Jehovah's desire. At first I thought he was out there but who knows maybe so. It might be be fun to be an "Adam" somewhere out there.

This was a series developed from the original writer of Star Trek, Gene Roddenberry. As such, it has

been noted was science fiction. Thus one has to take into account what Roddenberry believed  as the

future of humanity, it's destiny and what will solve man's problems. We hear it from world leaders and

statesmen all of the time . They keep trying to convince us they will eventually solve mankind's. Could

any expect of a show that purported to show mankind's future, that if the makers of it wanted it to suc-

ceed, they would have to walk lockstep with this old world.

My comments though about it reflecting aspects of life under God's Kingdom had nothing to do with

the "peace"  brought to the so-called Federation. But how many of the technologies highlighted in

the show may reflex actual technologies that Jehovah allows us to develop in the new system. It is a

speculative question, and I only ask it to help take things we are all familiar with, and use it to maybe

better visualize what the complete realities of life under God's Kingdom may be.

GStorrs46

John

This from a brother who has chosen as his avatar picture a rocking laughing Worf. :deadhorse:

GStorrs46

I have seen most of the star trek episodes (The Original Series, Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise - did not see the animated version) but I didn't really get to see most of them until the first movies came out.  I have also seen most of the movies, One thing that is totally unbelievable is the idea that humans will eventually learn on their own how to get along, even with the limited success depicted in these presentations.  The movie First Contact strongly suggested that the discovery of an alien culture is what brought humanity together. 

Frankly, I don't think that Jehovah will allow us to go very far out there before Armageddon.  We are ruining the earth now every day with pollution and wars and the self destructive misuse of technology.  He won't let us out there very far to mess up the rest of the universe in my opinion - those who are ruining the earth now have to be brought to ruin by God..  We are using money to go out there that could be spent feeding and housing and providing medical care for one another - what an incredible lack of love we are displaying by putting a greater priority on our curiosity than on our human fellow feeling. We haven't invented the matter transformer machine that makes food automatically, and people are starving to death, while others are sick from overweight diseases.  And will this same humanity learn how to get along with each other, when they can't even decide how to govern themselves, or more importantly, decide who is the true God to worship?  If our Creator ever does let us travel out there, something has to change,  it won't happen, again in my opinion, until we get ourselves spiritually and physically cleaned with Jesus' sacrifice.

Revelation 7:9, 10 tells us that there will be someone who will survive the upcoming Great Tribulation.  It also tells us that a humanity who is united, and who have overcome their national, tribal, popular and linguistic divisions, will be unitedly owing salvation to God, because they washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

I never said I thought humanity could do this on their own apart from Jehovah.  Obviously, that was/is never going to happen.  I was merely stating that the idea of most of the universe getting along appealed to me.  Goodness, it's only a television show!

Isnt it real ? .... Oh fiddlesticks.

I enjoyed the show when i was younger but i caught bits of a show recently its a little slow and formulaic. Dont know if thats what id think of the whole show now or just that isolated episode and i remember it fondly so will probably watch no more.

At the time i thought Skin of evil was a great episode and the episode where everyone infected with something but it appeared as if they were drunk. Q was bril whenever he was in it as were the borg and the relating cliffhangers.. Data was good value for money to. What held it altogether and patrick stewart shakesperian authority ... He did a great captain.

There were a couple of episodes that stand out for me featuring mainly him one where the memories of a man from a dying planet were saved in his head... He felt he lived there... And another where he another being are fighting for survival but learn to communicate and then he can save the enterprize. ( cant remember titles)

As for what we learn about anything to do with Jehovah? Nothing... Its a tv show!

My five pence worth is that we wont travel from this planet in the new system. Not everything created in the physical universe has to be for our benefit. When perfect we will.be content to live healthily forever in peace together here... And isnt that enough?!!! Wanting to see whats out there stems from not being satisfied with what we have not being inquisitive. But hey i coukd be wrong. :-)

I am surprised that no one caught on that Roddenberry took concepts from the Bible.

Living beings of energy, good and bad that can have manifestations in our world Jesus battling with Satan, plus many others.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Isnt it real ? .... Oh fiddlesticks.

---

It is possible that we will not, Jehovah put everything that we need for survival here on earth.  However the desire to get out there is collectively stronger in humans than the desire to make sure that everyone gets what they need here on earth.  Star Trek had to justify what the people on earth did in investing in space travel by saying that before they did so, they made sure that all of the people who lived on earth had enough food clothing and shelter for everyone. 

I look at that, and also think about what Jehovah said when humans decided to make a Tower on the plains of Shinar - the Tower of Babel --

(Genesis 11:5-6)

Then Jehovah went down to see the city and the tower that the sons of men had built. Jehovah then said: “Look! They are one people with one language,+ and this is what they have started to do. Now there is nothing that they may have in mind to do that will be impossible for them

This suggests that humans have been given tremendous problem solving ability - but sin twisted our motives, and goals.  We are not puttiing God first, and we are not loving and caring for one another.  So God had to effectively put a wrench into their plans at that time.

So I don't think that, if we do go out there beyond the solar system, that it would be before the end of this system, and it wouldn't be anywhere significant anytime soon after Armageddon - that could be thousands of years away.  Along with the removal of sin and its physical effects, we would also have endless life to enjoy, which means that wherever we might travel, we ouselves will arrive there,, not our children.  But there will always be humans inhabiting the earth, because Isaiah very clearly expressed that intention of Jehovah in his prophecy,  Isaiah 45:18

I also don't think that we will ever become gods equal to Jehovah, as the Mormons and other religions think.  We will always worship and serve one God - our Creator,

Edited by rbrown1205

I don't think that we'll get anywhere near getting to/living on another planet in this system of things.  However, given the discovery by scientists that the universe is constantly expanding, I wouldn't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that when Jehovah's purpose of humans filling the earth has been accomplished, some of us may just move on to another.  All we need are dilithium crystals.  :whistling:

This is starting to sound like one of those sci-fi dramas " Banished to Mars" or when Superman's

parents sent him to earth when Krypton blew up. I don't know about you guys ! ? Since "Next Gen-

ration" was Sci-fi, I guess to some extent I'm getting back what I asked for. I was just curious whether

anyone saw anything more. Guess not.

GStorrs46

I don't know about seeing more  ... but I did see all 178 episodes and all four movies of Next Generation as well as all of the other episodes and movies of the Star Trek franchise.

I am one of those who saw the first episode (well, the first aired episode) on Thursday night in 1966 - and, we saw it in B&W

post-2173-0-18282800-1396326271.jpg

In fact, it didn't really dawn on me until about the third time they were aired in broadcast syndication (all reruns, of course) that it was the first time I had seen them in color.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Worf ( John ),

Live long and prosper. I must say that I liked Captain Picard over Captain Kirk, although Picard never

quite had the equal that Kirk had in Spock, unless you take the combined skills of Data and Lt. Troi into

consideration.

(tu)    GStorr46   (td)