JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Richland missionary dies in Honduras plane crash

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4796 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Richland missionary dies in Honduras plane crash

By Michelle Dupler, Herald staff writer

Flynn Tomchuk was drawn to the Central American country of Honduras several times as a missionary for the Jehovah's Witness congregation in Richland, most recently for a year-and-a-half on the island of Roatan as a full-time minister.

His father, Robert Tomchuk, said his son was impressed by the love the local people had for the Bible and God's word.

It was in pursuit of his own passion for spreading that word that Flynn Tomchuk died Monday at age 47.

Tomchuk was one of 14 people killed when a small Honduran commercial airliner crashed near the nation's capital.

Others among the dead were former and current senior government officials -- prompting the government to declare three days of national mourning -- and a union leader, The Associated Press reported.

The Central American Airlines plane was flying to the Toncontin international airport in Tegucigalpa when it crashed Monday morning in Las Mesitas, a town about three miles south of the airport.

The cause of the crash is being investigated, but there was fog in the area at the time. Toncontin airport is considered dangerous because of its short runway and surrounding hills.

The Let L-410 Turbolet was carrying two pilots and 12 passengers, including Rodolfo Rovelo, assistant secretary for Public Works, Jose Israel Salinas, a leader of the United Workers Federation of Honduras and former Economy Secretary Carlos Chain, said airline manager Felix Pacheco.

"I'm destroyed, in shock, because of what happened," Pacheco told the AP.

At least 10 planes have crashed in and around the Toncontin airport since October 1989, when a Honduran commercial jet went down, killing 131 people.

Toncontin's short runway, old navigation equipment and neighboring hills make it one of the world's more dangerous international airports. It was built on the southern edge of hilly Tegucigalpa in 1948 with a runway less than 5,300 feet long.

Also among the passengers were Flynn Tomchuk and two fellow elders from the English-speaking Jehovah's Witness congregation on Roatan, Robert Tomchuk said.

Flynn Tomchuk's wife, Tanya, his daughter, Alisha Tomchuk Bodden, and her husband, Robbie Bodden, were with him on Roatan but not on the flight.

Robert Tomchuk said his son was excited about the religious work he was doing on Roatan. He had been there a few times before -- staying longer each time.

Flynn Tomchuk was a co-owner of Sunscapes Inc., a landscaping firm based in Richland but had left that behind for the time being to become a full-time minister.

"He was out proclaiming the good news of God's kingdom," his father said.

Article Source: Tri-City Herald

• 2 weeks later...

So, sad...I hate death, i myself had to watch a woman die today while her mom, son and granddaughter watched quietly by.

can't wait till Jehovah does away with death!...The last enemy to be destroyed.:hammer:

Visit my website: www.Hcgessentials.com

Growth Demands Change!

So, sad...I hate death, i myself had to watch a woman die today while her mom, son and granddaughter watched quietly by.

can't wait till Jehovah does away with death!...The last enemy to be destroyed.:hammer:

Are you in the medical field?

Are you in the medical field?

Actually, you wouldn't believe this story. Last week while out in service doing NAH. A young man approach myself and another sister and he asked if we were Jehovahs Witnesses, We told him that we were, he then proceeded to tell us that his mom lived in another town but he was on his way to pick her up from the hospital, he said she is terminally ill and that she is coming to his home to die. he said that his mom had been studying with Jehovahs Witnesses, and when he saw us, he wanted us to come visit her. We said sure and in keeping with our words went back to see them yesterday, we brought some flowers and did our best to comfort the family, she was taking her last breath, her liver and kidneys were shut down and she was just being kept out of pain. That was such an odd call, but maybe out of it some members of the family will come into the truth. just a very odd thing, But Jehovah know what he is doing and is directing the preaching work. Maybe the young man will some day come into the truth, a lovely young man.

Growth Demands Change!

We said sure and in keeping with our words went back to see them yesterday, we brought some flowers and did our best to comfort the family, she was taking her last breath, her liver and kidneys were shut down and she was just being kept out of pain. That was such an odd call, but maybe out of it some members of the family will come into the truth. just a very odd thing, But Jehovah know what he is doing and is directing the preaching work. Maybe the young man will some day come into the truth, a lovely young man.

wow..that is brave of you and the other sister...that is not a nice experience seeing someone die...

your kindness must of helped that young man and his family...

that is a lovely experience of helping someone :flowers:

wow..that is brave of you and the other sister...that is not a nice experience seeing someone die...

your kindness must of helped that young man and his family...

that is a lovely experience of helping someone :flowers:

thanks, it was my first time experiencing someone dying...and believe me, i did not sleep very well last night.

Growth Demands Change!