JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I need at least one computer geek

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3629 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Help. I have just started using JWreader on my laptop. My laptop has tons of memory so not concerned about taking up memory. So my question is: when downloading a publication to my Jwreader, what is the best format(?) that I should download in? choices PDF, EPUB or MP3. 

Thanks for the help. 

I see! That makes more sense :)

I also prefer epubs on mobile devices, but not sure how they would work on a laptop. There are very few Windows-based epub readers. So unless the "Bible Reader" program itself will display epubs and allow you to highlight, underline and annotate them, you might be better off with the PDF's.  

Using that app it gives the option to download them all. For underlining I download and use the epub format. For just reading I have the pdf version. I don't download the mp3 format. You can switch between formats within the app easily.

I am assuming it is this app? http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-gb/app/jw-bible-reader/c44151bf-2875-4a5d-be66-d86e13e91dc7

Using that app it gives the option to download them all. For underlining I download and use the epub format. For just reading I have the pdf version. I don't download the mp3 format. You can switch between formats within the app easily.

I am assuming it is this app? http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-gb/app/jw-bible-reader/c44151bf-2875-4a5d-be66-d86e13e91dc7

Yep that's the one. I had the option of downloading "the Greatest Man Book" in MP3 and I tried it but I never found where I could open it up, so I have no idea what the purpose of it is for, unless it can be read out loud like on the Jw site? 

Yep that's the one. I had the option of downloading "the Greatest Man Book" in MP3 and I tried it but I never found where I could open it up, so I have no idea what the purpose of it is for, unless it can be read out loud like on the Jw site? 

I found it pretty awkward to use for mp3 files. Best to download the mp3 files using a normal browser to be honest and organizing them yourself if you need to use that format.

Edited by Mykyl

Yes, an "MP3" is an audio file. Check and see if it went into your download folder. If you click on it, Windows media player should play it. 

So it won't automatically open up in Bible Reader, I have to go to my files. Ugh. I was hoping the Bible Reader would make it all so easy and concise for me. haha

I am not sure if my computer is making things more organized or less, I know it is me but this technology has changed so fast in just that last 3yrs and keeps changing and I cannot keep up with it. 

I want to have everything I study at my fingertips so I don't have to search for things. 

Is there anyone(brother and sister) working on something like Jw bible reader that coordinates with the watchtower library so that it is one program, then a person doesn't have to open up so many other things. 

Maybe I am just not good at multi-tasking anymore. 

these kids now can drive and text at the same time, I thought driving and eating was hard but what they do is impossible

Sorry you guys, must be my gripe day. please forgive. 

I used to do programming myself (Games as well as apps) but no longer have that love for it anymore.

Perhaps we should contact the creator of that app and give him our suggestions on what could make it better.

For example I cannot import and use my KM pdf files. Keep meaning to ask him to fix it if possible.

He has asked for suggestions on his website.

I use Calibre, it works very well with epub files and it highlites your answers for Watchtower studies or any publication you load into it. The scriptures are available with a click just like my iPad. Best of all it's free.