JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Electronic devices (especially tablets) at public conventions

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3551 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

My husband and daughter who have tablets are considering not bringing theirs to the international convention. The stadium has not informed us yet if they plan to bend the rules on their bag/purse policy for us, also with  60000+ people in attendance, they are seriously thinking that it may just be better to leave them at home and use the actual bible/songbook vs the tablet.

It's too easy to accidentally lose the tablet, or set it down and forget it, etc. 

I will be taking my ipad but I have an ipad carry satchel with shoulder strap and will not be leaving it at my seat because not everyone at our conventions are brothers and sisters.  Since I will be attending the AT&T  Center in Arlington, Texas (Cowboy Stadium)  it will be easy to see/use.   It is exciting times as our International Convention is the last of June.     Next Month!!!!!     Just the shot in the heart we all need to continue determined, steadfast, and energized to carry out the work at hand...come what may!!! 

That is the convention I am attending.

At&T stadium is very impressive, I know you will love it.

Ava,

Sis,  I am really looking forward to it.   I heard that stadium alone was something to see.   Doesn't people have to pay to take tours of the place?    My youngest Son and his wife went to a game there.      Imagine it filled with Brothers and Sisters and some interested ones!     The songs we sing should rock that whole stadium.     

Edited by A fellow servant

Ava,

Sis,  I am really looking forward to it.   I heard that stadium alone was something to see.   Doesn't people have to pay to take tours of the place?    My youngest Son and his wife went to a game there.      Imagine it filled with Brothers and Sisters and some interested ones!     The songs we sing should rock that whole stadium.     

When the stadium first opened, the residents of Arlington were given a free tour considering our taxes got raised to help pay for the thing.  I do think there are charges now for tours.  I only went there once couple years back for the Chicago Bears/Dallas Cowboys game, and I was really impressed.

Whoever the architect's were, they did a nice job overall on the layout.  Parking is a nightmare though, so be prepared.  The TX Rangers stadium is just up the street, minute by car.  The Rangers will be having baseball games the entire three days we are there, so be ready for some serious traffic issues.  

The congregations down here will be given precise instructions on where to park, and our elders have told us numerous times "Park where you are instructed too, no exceptions" LOL.

It will be exciting though to see so many people there.  Besides the International Delegates, there will be brothers and Sisters from New Mexico, Oklahoma, Louisiana and Arkansas.  

It's gonna be just an awesome sight.

May I ask where you are staying down here?

Edited by ava

Thanks for the info Ava!      Parking always seems to be an issue.  :-)       My wife and I are staying at the Hyatt Regency DFW.   So looking forward to the Convention.   Any suggestions for travel route, etc.   would be appreciated.   

Dave

For anyone who used Circuit Assembly Notes App and would like a similar App for the RC, TORDEDROID has an App for $1.38 called JW Convention Notes. Go to your play store and do a search for the App by name. It is just like the Circuit Assembly Notes App in looks and functionality. The play store has numerous pictures of the different functions. Warning: The app does not perform the same on an apple product, a much smaller typing box pops up to take notes in. I have an Android and I loved the CA App. After the convention just export the notes to a pdf file and mail it to yourself for printing. To use the Bible Icon, internet connection is needed as it takes the verse from WOL.

I apologizes if this is posted somewhere else.....

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

For anyone who used Circuit Assembly Notes App and would like a similar App for the RC, TORDEDROID has an App for $1.38 called JW Convention Notes. Go to your play store and do a search for the App by name. It is just like the Circuit Assembly Notes App in looks and functionality. The play store has numerous pictures of the different functions. Warning: The app does not perform the same on an apple product, a much smaller typing box pops up to take notes in. I have an Android and I loved the CA App. After the convention just export the notes to a pdf file and mail it to yourself for printing. To use the Bible Icon, internet connection is needed as it takes the verse from WOL.

I apologizes if this is posted somewhere else.....

Here is the link

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tordedroid.ar2014

I also used the CA app and loved it ;)

You may wish to try this one though. It's free, has all the programs for all the assemblies and conventions (no need for separate app's) and allows a better use of copy and past on the bible (and no internet needed)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jw.assemblyandconvention.notebook

Edited by jayrtom

I installed both to compare. The second one, assembly and convention notebook I am having trouble copying a verse to paste in my notes. I have no problems with checking on the correct verse and inserting the book chapter and verse number but the actual verse itself I am having problems getting the brackets for copying to stay in place or the expand. Also the paste function after copying from jwlibrary is somewhat messed up.

I like being able to access the Bible from the App without having to have internet access but it is some limited in functionality or at least that has been my experience.

Thanks for the info Ava!      Parking always seems to be an issue.  :-)       My wife and I are staying at the Hyatt Regency DFW.   So looking forward to the Convention.   Any suggestions for travel route, etc.   would be appreciated.   

Dave

Is that the Hyatt Regency DFW in the airport?  There are a couple others outside the airport referred to as Hyatt Regency DFW. 

If it's the one in the airport, you take the southern entrance/exit out of the airport to Hwy 360 south, you will see signs saying 360/Arlington.  The stadium is off HWY 360 and you will see signs for several exits.  The drive from the Hyatt in the airport to the stadium is bout 15 minutes.

As far as parking, I am not sure how it will be done for visitors from other states.  I do know the local congregations will be given an assigned parking lot.

Is that the Hyatt Regency DFW in the airport?  There are a couple others outside the airport referred to as Hyatt Regency DFW. 

If it's the one in the airport, you take the southern entrance/exit out of the airport to Hwy 360 south, you will see signs saying 360/Arlington.  The stadium is off HWY 360 and you will see signs for several exits.  The drive from the Hyatt in the airport to the stadium is bout 15 minutes.

As far as parking, I am not sure how it will be done for visitors from other states.  I do know the local congregations will be given an assigned parking lot.

Yes,   Ava   it is the Hyatt Regency DFW in the airport.    Thanks Sis for the info.      Take care!

No wife, hence bag ;)

Keep the bag, less work :D

Most wives have a big enough purse for the kitchen sink  :) We keep those with us at all times. Lol

Heh.  I have a small wallet.  My mom's shoulder used to ache for days because of the size of her purse.  

I used to tease her and call her Boxcar Willie, cause her purse could have fit a boxcar in it!!!!

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

• 1 month later...

Have any brothers that have been to the convention already came up with a good way to carry your tablet around? Thanks.

With my palm and five fingers. Not a good idea to leave it on your seat or car.

I mostly used my right hand, but I did occasionally use the left - two different ways - but thy both worked just fine ..... and I don't even have a cover for mine.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I've just enjoyed my convention last weekend and I ended up carrying all we brought in our lunch container. Kinda nice not having to carry much to our seats. We always introduced ourselves to all around us so we were sitting with friends at all times who also helped keep an eye on each other's possessions. Having time to visit with those seated around you during lunch is such an enjoyable adventure, it's sometimes amazing how we find connections with perfect strangers in the beginning of the conversation and walk away with life long friends after.

We went to the Staples Arena in Sacramento and being linked into the San Francisco International. Didn't matter where you sat all had an excellent view of what was going on at the stage. I had to sit in the nose bleed section on the first day and was very thankful for the lighted screen on my iPad as the lights are focused on the basketball arena mostly and we were sitting in the shadows. This arena has free Wifi which is wonderful.

Edited by Mybrick

• 2 weeks later...

I will be keeping mine with me at all times, Peer. As these are public events, they tend to attract thieves and pickpockets so it is not safe to assume that all people there are brothers. There are brothers assigned to security on the watch for these things, but the wise move is to protect your own belongings.

Welcome to the forum, by the way. i was in Munich a couple of weeks ago, where in Bavaria are you from?

Chris

Yes, I agree 1,000%!!! I will be keeping mine with me as well, just to avoid any unnecessary drama!

jayrtom, on 23 May 2014 - 6:23 PM, said:

Here is the link

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tordedroid.ar2014

I also used the CA app and loved it ;)

You may wish to try this one though. It's free, has all the programs for all the assemblies and conventions (no need for separate app's) and allows a better use of copy and past on the bible (and no internet needed)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jw.assemblyandconvention.notebook

the 2nd one is terrific :)

and free :D

using speech-to-text to transfer my written notes

it even understood 'Jehovah' and spelled it correctly

thanks for the link :flowers:

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening..." ~ Malachi 3:16

I am not even kidding when I say that I have left mine at the seat. It never occurred to me that someone might take it. You sure can tell I m use to living in the country. Thanks for the reminder. Even with all the reminders at the meeting it is hard to remember to be so guarded.

Have any brothers that have been to the convention already came up with a good way to carry your tablet around? Thanks.

I'm attending, so will be away from my seat for longer than most.

I have a manbag (although I will not be calling it that!) like Vernalee menioned earlier.

tn_gallery_4235_107_30121.jpg

An iPad mini and a Nexus 7 fit perfectly well into this.

This will also take my attendants items (maps, notepad, pen, torch), with even room for a small bottle of water in its back pocket.

Edited by SunnyG