JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Local News Stories on Conventions 2014

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3510 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Jehovah's Witnesses pack MetLife Stadium

June 28, 2014, 9:29 PM    Last updated: Saturday, June 28, 2014, 10:06 PM
By STEPHANIE AKIN
Staff Writer
The Record

When Pablo Roggiero emerged Saturday from a temporary baptismal pool at the 40-yard line of MetLife Stadium, he was so happy to see the stadium packed with other Jehovah’s Witnesses, he said he felt as if time had slowed down. “I came up and saw my brothers and sisters, everybody was smiling,” said Roggiero, 17, of North Bergen. “You feel the love.”

When Julian Muscio, co-owner of Paisano’s restaurant in Rutherford a few miles away, saw some of the same faces at his restaurant throughout the week, he said he felt pretty good, too.  “They were from all over the country,” he said. “A lot of them were saying they never … hear that North Jersey Italian food is good stuff, so they were all very happy with it.”

An international convention of Jehovah’s Witnesses has filled the stadium and area hotels for the past two weekends, providing an influx of business to the Meadowlands during a typically slow time of year. It was the largest convention the organization has held in the region in recent memory, and among the first wave of what stadium and local business officials hope will now be a continuous flow of stadium-filling events at the venue, said Meadowlands Chamber of Commerce President Jim Kirkos.

Three years after the opening of the $1.6 billion stadium, the venue has started to fill its off-season calendar with a full spectrum of events, Kirkos said. While the headliner was clearly last February’s Super Bowl, area business owners have been just as happy to welcome attendees of lower-profile functions, whether it was the 2013 Wrestlemania 29, which brought more than 70,000 spectators and dozens of sweaty men in tights, or the Electric Daisy Carnival, an electronic music festival with thumping bass notes and tens of thousands of midriff-bearing fans.

During the two weeks of the Jehovah’s Witness convention, hotel bookings in the Meadowlands region have been up between 15 and 20 percent over the same period in 2013, Kirkos said.   “It doesn’t even matter what the event is,” Kirkos said. “Whenever we have the opportunity to entertain and bring in people who aren’t from the region, it brings great business opportunities.”

Compared to some of the stadium’s other recent visitors, the past weeks’ convention attendees were a decidedly more staid crowd. They wore tailored business suits, brightly colored dresses and straw sun hats. When they passed each other in the stadium passageways, they smiled and greeted each other as “brother” or “sister.” In the stands, they sat beneath umbrellas, quietly fanning themselves as prayers were broadcast over loudspeakers.

“This is probably about as peaceful as you’re ever going to see MetLife Stadium,” said Robert Hendriks, a Jehovah’s Witnesses Convention spokesman. Attendees said the convention was a highlight of their year. Roggiero was among almost 1,000 who were baptized in four above ground plastic swimming pools during the festivities.  “It felt unreal,” he said. “It felt like a dream.”

Zenaida Molina, who is from Pitman in South Jersey, returned from a two-year stint as a missionary in Tanzania for the occasion, wearing the traditional head scarf and dress of the country where she has been working.   “You’re here with people from all different parts of the world, and they’re your friends,” she said. Conventions in large venues play a large role in the denomination, which is perhaps best-known by non-adherents for its door-to-door distribution of literature.

Congregations are typically small, but they frequently meet in larger groups to remind members that they belong to an international community, Hendriks said. Those events are often broadcast simultaneously to venues across the world. This year’s convention was broadcast to 10 stadiums around the country. In addition to the 50,000-plus crowds that filled MetLife Stadium at peak times during the two three-day weekend festivities, an additional 80,000 watched the event remotely, Herndriks said.

The last large Jehovah’s Witness convention in the tri-state area was in 1978, at Shea Stadium. On Aug. 3, 1958, the convention drew 123,707 people to Yankee Stadium, the largest crowd ever for an event at “The House That Ruth Built.” Hendriks said organizers hope to maintain a more regular presence in the region. There are about 100,000 Jehovah’s Witnesses living in the greater New York metropolitan area, he said.

Edited by allabord4jah

the link sent me to a World Cup story...

however this is a good article: http://www.northjersey.com/news/jehovah-s-witnesses-pack-metlife-stadium-1.1043189

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening..." ~ Malachi 3:16

the link sent me to a World Cup story...

however this is a good article: http://www.northjersey.com/news/jehovah-s-witnesses-pack-metlife-stadium-1.1043189

I got the same thing when I tried to click on the story, so that's why I went back into it and copied it and pasted it on here.  Sorry you got the World Cup!

• 1 month later...

A dear brother sent this to me today.  I want to share it with all of you.  I believe a brother and friends made this video.  It WILL bring a tremendous SMILE on your faces! 

To see the video just go to the purple line below that says “bringing back the experience,” and click on that and be patient until it shows up. Wonderful, wonderful!  And since I’ve stopped by this morning why not share a couple more items with you.  They will be below the note about his website:

Subject: International Convention Memory Video

Edited by allabord4jah