JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

BBC News Reports on the Preaching Work

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3507 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

After reading this article I picked up on an aspect of our ministry, the Article said: hundreds of thousands of people passed by the stand each week..." The aspect is visibility. The millions who are at least seeing the display, are Being put on notice. Every day that they pass by .. It's like a loud signal tower warning all who are in range.

Its obvious that the reporter is biased against us. The editor would not allow him to put the actual article he wrote in the paper so made him change it. Sounds more like a tabloid article than one a world recognised news source would produce. 

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

The photo's  on the article have changed since this morning,in one photo they show a close up of the latest Watchtower mag & above it JW.org. so they're promoting the website for us!

Its obvious that the reporter is biased against us. The editor would not allow him to put the actual article he wrote in the paper so made him change it. Sounds more like a tabloid article than one a world recognised news source would produce. 

Having once worked for the BBC iv seen first hand the quality of their journalism. And its trending steadily downward..... 

REGARDING THE ARTICLE CHANGE

I also noticed the changes - including the photo.  The original photo was less animated, and had a couple.  I think they went for the second photo, because (absolutely no disrespect to our dear sister) they didn't want the quiet dignity of the original.  The second picture the sister is more animated (which again is normal because she's discussing) but with the people in the background and her wide eyed enthusiasm,  it looks more "crazy/zanie" and puts British people in mind of evangelicals that shout at passers by (which is another reason possibly the editor chose to go from a white couple to our sisters of colour) more stereotypical.

Compare the two pictures (on the left the original)

http://i.cubeupload.com/2VDn8l.jpg

All that aside, the bbc has a HUGE readership and the article is not unfavorable, so I'm happy for it. Jehovah rocks !!! (the nations...lol)

Edited by sunshine

All in all, I thought it was a good article....despite the negativity..most people understand our views on gays (which from the title of the ex witness book, I assume he is)..and how much credibility will people take from an ex witness. Sincere people will ask questions. We cant, unfortunately, stop the negativity in the world...just continue to preach with boldness

... our views on gays (which from the title of the ex witness book, I assume he is)...

Of course we won't find any use in reading the book of this person. In it he'll no doubt be telling about the Gay life he's been leading ever since!

:huh:

:ph34r:

To this David said: “What have I done now? I was only asking a question!”

– 1 Samuel 17:29

Overall, for an article written by a non-witness, I found accurate and mainly positive. As for the ex-

witness, his current life style speaks for itself. However some of his comments were not entirely in-

accurate. For example, here in the states it is very difficult to find people at home. Due to people's

work schedule you can go practically at morning and not find a single person home. This of course

tends to be discouraging to the friends.

And honesty causes me to confess that many years ago when I pioneered with other young ones

in the congregation, we would "stretch out our time" by driving from one end of the territory to the

other. That is not something I am proud to admit to today. and I believe it had something to do with

our youth and inexperience. But despite the hard work I did put in the ministry at that time, I do now

today look back on that part with shame.

GStorrs46

• 3 weeks later...

We have been doing cart work for a few months and I know of 2 studies started.  Our City Council only allows  from 10am to 2pm. so our cong does 3 days and the other does 3. I've re contacted  an old call of mine who had moved to Australia but is back now and he gave me his address to call on.

I wish our congregation would order a cart. We have many older ones, particularly sisters, that this type of witnessing would suit well because it wouldn't require much walking. I would love to try it too. We aren't a busling metropolis but we have our fair share of festivals and things during the spring, summer and fall months.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

In our enthusiasm we ordered a cart. When closely looked at the instructions, (Men never read instructions :() we found we only have one location that fit the instructions.

One day a week, summer only, 10:00 to 2:00, but it is proving to be a Witness and that is the important thing. 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I wish our congregation would order a cart. We have many older ones, particularly sisters, that this type of witnessing would suit well because it wouldn't require much walking. I would love to try it too. We aren't a busling metropolis but we have our fair share of festivals and things during the spring, summer and fall months.

I don't think it is necessary to be a 'bustling metropolis', I saw a display cart being used in a small town in Czech Republic. It was in the market square, so a busy area, but not 'bustling'.

As for the use by elderly sisters, yes if they can get the trolley moved for them. My wife and I did the work once, it was great, but we had to pull the trolley back to KH and it was heavy. With no car to put it in, we couldn't really manage it well, so we have not done it since. Both my wife and I have heart conditions.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I did the work once, it was great, but we had to pull the trolley back to KH and it was heavy. With no car to put it in, we couldn't really manage it well, so we have not done it since. Both my wife and I have heart conditions.

There are a few logistical things to think about regarding the cart work, that until you've tried it, you may not have thought about.

It's winter where I live right now and there's been some really cold wind blowing in one of the places where we're permitted to do it – a ferry terminal with lots of commuters at both ends of the day but with a stiff sea breeze. The way we've been instructed to do it is to just stand near the cart and not approach anyone unless they first show an interest. Standing there for an hour or so even with a good jacket on has been difficult, probably not something you'd recommend to someone with a pre-existing health condition or even a weak constitution for that matter.

Then there's getting the cart to and from the location as Christopher mentioned. Something to think about.

I've seen many pictures of ones sitting behind a small table with the carts on either side too.  I don't think we'd just dump an elderly sister off somewhere by herself!  Always have a younger one with them to move the carts and get in and out of the vehicle!  I would hope we'd show some good sense in that regard!

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D