JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Help with health

I have had a problem since last Friday - the 'runs'!

I had to dash to the toilet 8 times during the night Friday, and the doctor has sent a sample off for analysis (seems like a pun, but unintended). I became quite dehydrated, but the remedy mentioned in Awake 95 April 8 has helped enormously. A salty drink which saves lives. Oral rehydration therapy. I'm getting better, thankfully, but not back to meetings yet. I daare not go too far from the bathroom!

I managed to place 2 magazines with the man who came to check the gas boiler, though.

Don't they sell Depends in UK? I bought my sister some when she turned 55 as a joke but she has saved them for just an occasion as you mentioned above.

I've never heard of them, Lynn. I bought Dioralyte http://www.dioralyte.co.uk but the home-made remedy works fine.

LOL just did a google on Depends! ROFL

You might also try Coconut Water.  Sold in 8 oz or 32 oz containers.  It helps with rehydration and electrolyte balance.

Gave some to two sisters who had the NoroVirus for a week and they immediately felt better...they were so depleted.

"Be imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises." Hebrews 6:12

I have had a problem since last Friday - the 'runs'!

I had to dash to the toilet 8 times during the night Friday, and the doctor has sent a sample off for analysis (seems like a pun, but unintended). I became quite dehydrated, but the remedy mentioned in Awake 95 April 8 has helped enormously. A salty drink which saves lives. Oral rehydration therapy. I'm getting better, thankfully, but not back to meetings yet. I daare not go too far from the bathroom!

I managed to place 2 magazines with the man who came to check the gas boiler, though.

I don't know if you have this where you live, but Gatorade or even children's Pedialyte helps with that problem. Both replace your electrolytes. I've even seen a recipe to make your own online.

Hope you feel better soon! I have this problem quite often (IBS maybe?) and I know the feeling of having to know where every restroom in town is. :mellow:

Chris, 

I think it's a flu. It's been through my family. We had it for the better part of 2 weeks. And we did a gatoraid substitute found here- http://dailyhealthpost.com/natural-homemade-sports-drink-gatorade-alternatives/

Faith I am sympathetic to your plight. I have learned I can't eat many raw veggies (torture to me cause I love them) and NOOOO lettuces at all. And recently am not able to tolerate cooked mushrooms nor onion. I WILL throw up.

I know I say this an awful lot but I really have faith in the new system, we can be normal and eat everything.  

By the way, what does mumps feel like?? Leslie are you around?? That's what I'm feeling like today.

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Chris, have you been on any antibiotics lately?

Florastor is a good brand of probiotic and sold worldwide.  Culturelle is also good, but I'm not sure if it is available in the UK.

You can also drink Kefir, which is a yogurt drink.  This was recommended by one of my Mom's doctors when she was battling a particularly bad GI infection.  I notice there are different brands sold in the UK.  Here is a list of shops which carry what looks to be one popular brand in London:

http://nourishkefir.co.uk/index.php?pgid=126&region=1

I do hope you get some relief soon!

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

Thanks for all thesuggestions, friends. I am waiting for the result of the pathology test in case there is a bacterium causing the problem. It may need antibiotic treatment.

In the meantime, my appetiteis fine, I not nauseous and the rehydration fluid is keeping me hydrated.

Just waiting for someone to call who I can witness to!

If you take an antibiotic, make sure you take some probiotic with it. Then you won't loose all your good bacteria. This is what I use.

post-556-0-32083800-1405548023.jpg

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

If you take an antibiotic, make sure you take some probiotic with it. Then you won't loose all your good bacteria. This is what I use.

attachicon.gifpearls.jpg

It's weird that the doctors here in the uk never recommend this. I was in india with the worse case of the runs imaginable. It was like water and a whole packet of imodium in 6 hours did nothing. I went to a doctor who saw me instantly prescribed me antibiotics and pro biotics and I was better within 24 hours. Try getting that service in the uk. They never prescribe you pro biotics or even suggest it. Its weird how an underdeveloped country far outcedes a developed one like the uk when it cones to healthcare. Hope you have a speedy recovery chris.

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."

Doctors I know usually recommend you stay on your antibiotics for their prescribed duration and then take the probiotics.  The pharmacist said not take anything fatty, such as a drink with whole milk, with the antibiiotics or a fatty snack or meal near taking the antibiotic, because the fat will coat/combine with the antibiotic and render it useless.

I have had a bug for 2 weeks and it has flared up my whole system - I am diagnosed IBS/Spastic gut for 34 years now. The bug has gone but it's messed up the messages from my brain to my guts and I have had 4 painful gut weeks and feeling dizzy all the time. I have done all the above - rehydration therapy; coconut water; proboitics - live bifidus/acidopilus yoghurt. Peppermint, fennel and chammomile teas.

I am on omeprazole to try to knock the some of the gut jiggering. I am now trying a special science/University tested diet for IBS/Disfunctional guts to help them calm down by taking irritant triggers out and see how I go on. It's called FODMAP. You go on it for a few weeks and then try re-introducing things slowly back to your diet and see if you can tolerate them again or stay off if you have become sensitive to them.

In the meantime I was worried that I could not get much ministry in while I was suffering at home. Then an ex-Bible Study of my husband's (the troubled top-class guitarist I have featured on youtube clips last year) arrived at our house. My husband and I had an encouraging talk with him for over an hour and a half and he was so grateful and gave us both a hug afterwards and asked for some literature. I managed an hour out on Ministry Yesterday before getting too dizzy and sick to carry on, but that was an achievement ,as I hadn't been anywhere for 3 weeks except to the Sunday meeting and straight home last week.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I remember this time when I was single and poor...really, really, poor.  I had absolutely nothing in my apartment/flat to eat...

...except this ancient unopened bag of prunes in my fridge.  I was so hungry. They were so delicious. (I think they were so delicious because I was so hungry)  Yes, I should have known better; but I ate almost the whole bag, never giving the hell that awaited me a single thought.  For the life of me, I couldn't imagine why I hadn't thought of it sooner.  I felt so wonderful...briefly. "The [prune] was yet between my teeth..." You know what happened next.  I went nowhere for two days.

I can't say if I've eaten many prunes after that.

I remember this time when I was single and poor...really, really, poor.  I had absolutely nothing in my apartment/flat to eat...

...except this ancient unopened bag of prunes in my fridge.  I was so hungry. They were so delicious. (I think they were so delicious because I was so hungry)  Yes, I should have known better; but I ate almost the whole bag, never giving the hell that awaited me a single thought.  For the life of me, I couldn't imagine why I hadn't thought of it sooner.  I felt so wonderful...briefly. "The [prune] was yet between my teeth..." You know what happened next.  I went nowhere for two days.

I can't say if I've eaten many prunes after that.

I apologize, Zeke, but I cannot stop giggling. It was the Shakespearean quote at the end of your tale of woe. Think on the positive side.... your body got a massive dose of iron.    :lol1:

That's what I call a masterful piece of bright-siding. Still, I likely could have accomplished both of those things by swallowing a bucket of ball bearings.  I can't imagine it would have felt any more miserable. smileySweating.gif (maybe a little tougher on the porcelain)

Going down would have been a lot less satisfying, however. Sooo...  :shrugs:  

- Plus, it did provide me with a humorous anecdote.  (tu)  Heck, I'll do crazier stuff than that DELIBERATELY if I think I can get a decent funny story out of it.

Helen I recently watched a film called "super juice me" a 28 day plan for improving health, some very interesting/amazing results for the people that took part. Five of us in my family are giving it a try, will let you know our results in 24 days or so (all good so far). I am not recommending it to anyone but Its worth a look and make your own mind up it may help.

Agape

When I had the right section of my large bowel removed in May last year, I found to my horror that I had the same symptoms that Christopher has been suffering - for almost a year.   Had to stay within a 20 second run from a loo.  A bit of a problem in field service, so I basically ended up carefully timing my return visits and managed to get my bible studies done at home.   A follow-up colonoscopy in April this year fixed the problem - it appears I'd picked up a bug which played havoc with my insides.   The ghastly clean-out which precedes a colonoscopy did the trick, but I wouldnt recommend it as a choice.   We have a product here called 'Gastro Stop' which works (I did use it a couple of times in desperation) but tends to bung you up for a day or so.   One extreme to the other. 

I've discovered to my chagrin that chocolate and ready-made double-thick custard (both of which I will practically kill for) are really bad, and sausages have the same result, so I'm assuming that its the fat content that causes the problem for me these days.  

When my children were littlies, if they had the runs, we'd give them plain water biscuits and flat lemonade for 24 hours, that always fixed them.   Flat lemonade is just lemonade thats had the bubbles stirred right out of it, and ends up as really sweet water. 

Just my two cents worth.   Hope your both feeling better Christopher and Faith - you have my sympathy.

The University that studied the FODMAP diet discovered that many people who develop bowel problems may be left with a lactose intolerance or a wheat/gluten intolerance. This type of intolerance (not the genetic intolerance) can sometimes diminish with careful diet starting with elimination of triggers then slowly re-introducing them in small doses as the gut heals/settles. 

The bowel contains millions of bacteria that help humans digest. It's a symbiotic arrangement. However, if you get a virus, bacterial overload by food poisoning or other digestion problem, the bacterial balance is upset. Bacteria digest certain foods we eat and produce vitamins and digestive enzymes that help us. This may diminish after infection/upset - called dysbiosis.

The FODMAP diet lowers the level of insoluable fibres; beans; gluten/wheat, soft dairy products that contain high levels of lactose and fructans/natural fermentable sugars that bad bacteria could proliferate on and are not properly digested if your gut isn't right. It's specially developed for people with IBS and other such disorders.

I has taken me 2 months after a bad bout of gut infection to feel fairly normal again. I was getting a bit agrophobic when I felt dizzy going out - couldn't go anywhere on my own for a while. 

Juicing may be OK for healthy people, but IBS sufferers just can't digest raw juices especially if they contain high oligosaccharides off vegetables or fructose of fruits.I just bloat up and get diarrhoea as I don't make the right enzymes to digest them.

http://www.med.monash.edu/cecs/gastro/fodmap/