JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Breaking in new cast iron

The man bought me a new cast iron skillet for pancakes. I haven't made them in years. This was his way to inspire me! HA!

So what better way to break in a new cast iron skillet than with bacon, home grown, low salt, thick cut!! Needless to say he was happy with the hashbrowns, eggs and bacon for today!

post-1083-0-78264500-1405870063_thumb.jp

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Bad idea doing that to new cast. Put it in the oven at about 350 to 400 degrees. Once the oven is to temp put oil on the pan. Veggie oil is good. Just a little with a paper towel but enough that the pan is wet with oil. Leave it in the oven and shut it off letting it cool down on its own. 

The heat from the oven will open the pours of the iron and let the oil seep in. I have seen some say A higher temp is needed but I would not put it over 400. To me you run the risk of damaging the iron and or a flash fire with the oil.

Don't use olive oil. It turns bad at high heat. 

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

The man bought me a new cast iron skillet for pancakes. I haven't made them in years. This was his way to inspire me! HA!

So what better way to break in a new cast iron skillet than with bacon, home grown, low salt, thick cut!! Needless to say he was happy with the hashbrowns, eggs and bacon for today!

My wife broke in her cast iron skillet some years ago. My head is still flat on top.  :lol:

Edited by lynn

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

Hey Greg, the oven treatment was already done, see the beautiful black patina!

This was the first time I cooked on it. And it was great! He's now snoring on the couch. Perfect cause I get to listen to the meeting in peace. 

Lynn, you're naughty!

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

I have one cast iron skillet that I use quite a bit. I could say that it has not been "washed" in over 30 years, in fact it is actually much longer than that, but it has only been mine for that length of time. It has been "cleaned" but not "scrubbed". This particular pan is older than me and has maintained it's "season" for that entire time.

My Mother had two of them. I now own one and my Brother owns the other. We both use them on a regular basis. I really like that "older" cast. I have some newer ones, but none work like this one!

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Thats true the older cast is much better. However we do scrub our cast with a stainless steel scrub pad. Once it is seasoned you don' have to do it again. So go ahead and scrub it up. Just dry it on the stovetop on low heat to take the water out of the pores. Then rub it will a little oil to keep it from rusting. 

You should scrub them out after use. 

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

I have found that putting some water in the pan while it is still hot/warm makes it very easy to clean. I generally take the cooked food out and put water in the pan while it is still on the stove. After a minute or two I I pit the pan in the sink with hot running water and use a nylon scrubbie/sponge. It cleans it just fine without and HARD scrubbing or soap.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Just wondering how like a new cast iron Jehovah seasons us to keep us in good shape, useful in service, long lasting with perfect results EVERYTIME.

That said...I do think we would definately need some soapy water poured on us whilst the situation is still hot. :rolleyes: