JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Anybody using Editorial for iPad?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3541 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Is anybody using the Editorial app (iPad/iPhone only) for note taking, or personal study?

Editorial is a markdown editor that has a built-in web browser, and the ability to write your own "workflows" (basically scripts). I bought it yesterday and have started playing with Workflows. I have created one that converts a selected scripture into a link for Equipd; one that searches WOL (using the built-in browser) using any text you have selected; and one that opens Equipd to the selected scripture, allowing you to copy it to the clipboard so you can return to Editorial and paste it into your document-and I'm working on a way to link back to that scripture in Equipd. Workflows can be shared with other people so you don't have to create them from scratch.

The advantage of having a built-in browser is that the editor knows what page is open. If you have selected any text on that web page, it will copy that text to the editor, with a link to that web page.

In theory, it would be possible to create a workflow that takes a selected scripture, opens that scripture in WOL, then copies the text for that scripture back to the editor, with a link back to WOL. So, in your notes, you'd select "Matthew 24:14" and run the Workflow. It would then convert that into ... "Matthew 24:14 — And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come." with a link back to WOL. That's in theory! I don't know enough about it yet.

It seems pretty powerful and I'm looking forward to creating Workflows that support my own study, research, and note taking. If anyone else is using it, I'd be happy to share the Workflows I've been working on.

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/editorial/id673907758?mt=8

• 3 weeks later...

I saw the app in iTunes, and read a few raves about it. But I am not really seeing how it would benefit me and my study. especially for $7. Maybe I am not getting the point of it over...say...Notability or GoodNotes. But I am open, share more when you know more.

Is anybody using the Editorial app (iPad/iPhone only) for note taking, or personal study?

Editorial is a markdown editor that has a built-in web browser, and the ability to write your own "workflows" (basically scripts). I bought it yesterday and have started playing with Workflows. I have created one that converts a selected scripture into a link for Equipd; one that searches WOL (using the built-in browser) using any text you have selected; and one that opens Equipd to the selected scripture, allowing you to copy it to the clipboard so you can return to Editorial and paste it into your document-and I'm working on a way to link back to that scripture in Equipd. Workflows can be shared with other people so you don't have to create them from scratch.

The advantage of having a built-in browser is that the editor knows what page is open. If you have selected any text on that web page, it will copy that text to the editor, with a link to that web page.

In theory, it would be possible to create a workflow that takes a selected scripture, opens that scripture in WOL, then copies the text for that scripture back to the editor, with a link back to WOL. So, in your notes, you'd select "Matthew 24:14" and run the Workflow. It would then convert that into ... "Matthew 24:14 — And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come." with a link back to WOL. That's in theory! I don't know enough about it yet.

It seems pretty powerful and I'm looking forward to creating Workflows that support my own study, research, and note taking. If anyone else is using it, I'd be happy to share the Workflows I've been working on.

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/editorial/id673907758?mt=8

I hope this comes to android, seems very powerful :)

What is the language used for the scripts? A proprietary one?

It uses Python for scripting, but also has a very basic "block" type option for those who don't know Python.

@Inkartinc, I find it useful for note taking during public talks and personal study. I don't record on my iPad as I use it for note taking and find I record the sounds of my finger tapping the screen — which is annoying on playback. :)

I have a couple of scripts I use to insert scripture links to Equipd, plus one to search WOL in its integrated browser then insert a link to the article on WOL. When I get some time I might do a screen recording. The only problem with it is that it has no desktop version. My other preferred app is Notebooks, which will sync to its desktop version, but doesn't do the scripting.