JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

1947 magazines

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3526 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Does anyone have the Watchtower and/or Awake volumes from 1947? Is it possible to scan and put them in pdf format?

Umm... I missed picking them up at the hall...?

No. Actually a sister I know wanted them. Reference is made to the ninth Gilead school in both the volumes (w47 304; g47 9/22 26-28) and she knew a sister in that class.

I looked on Strictly Genteel and WTArchive but with no hits.

Edited by Eric_Milton

Chuck,

I was going to add the same thing, but I see Eric corrected this. However isn't there another source

available where you can purchase the Watchtower on CD-Rom or DVD ( I don't remember which at

the present, which will take you from 1879 to 1950. Earlier this spring I was contemplating ordering

them myself,

GStorrs46

Direct link to scans & images: http://imgur.com/a/0qivK

Edit: Text was automatically converted to text from the original scans, so the transcription may contain slight errors.

*** w47 10/1 p. 304 SCHOOL OF GILEAD GRADUATES NINTH CLASS ***
SCHOOL OF GILEAD GRADUATES NINTH CLASS
THE gathering for the graduation exercises of the ninth class of the Watchtower Bible School of Gilead, on Sunday, August 3, proved to be the finest yet, with 1,857 persons in attendance.

The ninth graduating class was unique, for the majority, namely, 61 of the 102 graduates, were Canadian pioneers. The remainder were registrants from the United States. In all, there were 49 men and 53 women. All of them were ordained ministers of the gospel when they matriculated at the school last February 26, and their 23 weeks of study and special training at the school was to equip them for particular fields of service. The field that loomed up largely as the main objective of this ninth class was Quebec.

The graduating exercises lasted for two hours and a half, beginning promptly at 9 a.m. with song and prayer. Then the final opportunity to address the assembled ninth class was given to the servant of Kingdom Farm, on which the school is located, and to the five school instructors. Owing to the prominent part that things Canadian were playing, the servant of the Toronto Branch of the Watch Tower Society, namely, Percy Chapman, was present and was now called to deliver an address, particularly inviting the Canadian contingent of graduates to resume their educational work up north, mainly in the priest-ridden, persecution-pocked Province of Quebec. After him N. H. Knorr, president of the school and of the Watch Tower Society, introduced M. G. Henschel, his personal secretary on the recent world service-tour and also newest member of the Society’s board of directors. This young man offered mature words of counsel and also read telegrams, cablegrams and letters of greetings and felicitations from former School graduates now stationed abroad.

The principal address of the morning followed when President Knorr spoke on the bracing theme "Praise That Guarantees Salvation". He then climaxed the event by passing out anxiously awaited envelopes to the 102 graduates, 88 of which contained diplomas for meritorious performance at school. One such diploma was for a young Quebec pioneer in prison. A few weeks before his term of study here ended he was called before a Quebec court and sentenced to prison for previous missionary activities in that Province. He took his school materials with him, kept up his preparation in the prison cell, took the examinations submitted to him there, and passed them with merit.
In a last gesture the ninth class presented a finely, composed letter, voicing thanks to God and his instrument, the Society, for the freely given course of schooling. After dismissal of this assembly the school’s new library building, since named Shiloh, meaning Sending Forth, was opened for all present to inspect.

Thus another class was sent forth from "Gilead". Our prayers and loving interest attend its members at work.

*** g47 9/22 pp. 26-28 Gilead’s Ninth Graduation Day ***
Gilead’s Ninth Graduation Day

THE lovely summer campus of the Watchtower Bible School of Gilead, located at South Lansing, N. Y., was the scene of the graduation of its ninth class on Sunday, August 3, 1947. With beautiful flowers, green lawns and trees, clear, cool watercourses, and most ideal weather full of warmth and sunshine, the occasion was a fitting contrast to the cold, wintry weather that greeted the students five and one-half months previous when they matriculated. From all parts of Canada and eastern United States guests of the graduates began arriving in large numbers the day before. By Saturday evening at the mass Bible study on the subject of "Judgment of Church and World" there were 582 present. This session was followed by a musical program in which both the graduating students and. the guests shared alike.

Sunday morning the sloping lawns north of the main Gilead building furnished a delightful setting for the outdoor graduation exercises. Promptly at nine o'clock the whole assembly united their mixed voices in a song of praise to Jehovah. A prayer of thanks was then offered. Over an amplifying system which served the entire campus ground the five instructors and the farm servant each made brief but touching farewell remarks. On behalf of the Canadian branch of the Watch Tower Society, Mr. P. Chapman next delivered an address in which he invited the Canadian graduates to return to the benighted priest-ridden province of Quebec for an enlarged campaign of Christian enlightenment that will he carried on in that dark land for the benefit of people of good will. Mr. M. G- Henschel, the Society's most recently appointed director, then some warm words of counsel He also read messages of greetings from twenty-five groups of former Gilead graduates now located throughout the five continents of the earth. The theme of these messages from former graduates who have acted as trail-blazers in the foreign field was in the form of a call for more missionaries to join them. This echo from every corner of the globe was evidence that the great surge of expansion preaching this gospel of the Kingdom was now under way.

The principal address of the day centered on the theme of "praise" and was ably developed by Mr; N. H. Knorr, president of the Watchtower Bible School of Gilead. He called upon all the graduates and the audience to dedicate their ministry toward praising the name of Jehovah. In doing so, Jehovah's witnesses do not follow the practices of the so-called Christian missionaries abroad who try to make converts trough flattery, bribery or force. Rather, they are to encourage the honest-hearted ones in foreign lands to become true Christians for the truth's sake, and thus become true praisers of Jehovah.

Following this thrilling address the president then distributed 88 diplomas of merit to the 102 graduates. For the 49 men and 53 women, 61 of whom were from Canada, this was the climax after months of strenuous study. It was, therefore, with deep appreciation and heartfelt joy that the ninth class then presented a letter expressing their gratitude to the Lord and to the Society for the five-month course. For the entire audience of 1,857, the largest number yet in attendance on graduation day at Gilead, the occasion was very impressive.

Edited by Stavro

Eric & Musky,

I'm glad all of our resourceful brothers were able to provide you with what you were asking. That is one

thing I am growing to appreciate more and more. If you have a question about something. someone on

this forum knows or has access to someone that does. Musky, as far as the  reference that I referred to,

another brother on the forum this past spring posted he had ordered old Watchtower publications from this

source. I looked at it, as included the web link and was impressed with what I found their. Enough to com-

template ordering copies of these old volumes, which I have long wanted to have in my personal library.

However, I went back and did a search and now was unable to find it. So perhaps the website has now been

taken down.

In fact. other than Strickly Genteel, does anyone know of a RELIABLE source for much of our early literature,

from Russell's day, day to 1950 where the Watchtower Library picks up ? I would truly appreciate knowing.

GStorrs46

I have some poor scans of most magazines - :)  going all the way back except for a couple of years/issues of Consolation ( now Awake ). 

I may not be available for a little while -will see what hospital has to say. :sick:  Old ticker is acting up again.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Good night Brothers.....

I need a favour... i dont have the watchtower Library in English...

and i really need this article *** w57 10/15 p. 639 Questions From Readers ***... Its about Noah and the Ark....

Those who are able, please post the article or PM me

Thanks

Questions From Readers

● The April 15, 1957, Watchtower states, in paragraph 29 of page 236: “On the very day that the flood broke from the distant skies Noah and the seven members of his household went into the ark into which they had already brought specimens of all the birds and animals.” How can this be true, when Genesis 7:10 says that after Noah and his family entered the ark “seven days later it turned out that the waters of the deluge came upon the earth”?—R. F., United States.

Jehovah tells Noah to go into the ark, taking with him his household and seven of every clean beast and two of every unclean beast, and then Jehovah informs him: “For in just seven days more I am making it rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights.” (Gen. 7:1-4) To load the ark with hundreds of animals of the right kinds would take time. Doubtless with Jehovah’s help the necessary animals had been gathered preparatory to embarkation, and now it was time to load the ark and make final preparations. Jehovah allowed seven days for this, Noah carried out the instructions, and from the time that he started “seven days later it turned out that the waters of the deluge came upon the earth.”—Gen. 7:6-10.

Then we read: “In the six hundredth year of Noah’s life, in the second month, on the seventeenth day of the month, on this day all the fountains of the great water canopy were broken open and the floodgates of the heavens were opened. And the downpour upon the earth went on for forty days and forty nights. On this very day Noah went in, and Shem and Ham and Japheth, Noah’s sons, and the wife of Noah and the three wives of his sons with him, into the ark.” On the last of the seven days the work of loading was completed and Noah and the seven other human creatures with him entered the ark, to remain there until after the flood came and subsided. “After that Jehovah shut the door behind him.” Jehovah told them to enter seven days before the flood came, which allowed time for loading. When this loading was done and Noah and his household went in for the final time, on the seventh day, Jehovah shut the door, shortly before the rain started.—Gen. 7:11-13, 16.

Hence The Watchtower was harmonious with the Bible in saying Noah and his household went into the ark “on the very day that the flood broke from the distant skies.” Incidentally, what might seem at first glance to indicate a contradiction in the Bible account actually supports the Bible. It is incredible that anyone just making up a story would contradict himself within the compass of a few sentences, saying first that an event occurred seven days before and later saying it occurred on the same day as something else. Such a clash would be obvious. But when two such statements do appear, and yet are easily harmonized when the true situation is understood, it clearly demonstrates that no studied effort is being made to compose a deceptive fable.

Jesus settles the matter, saying: “Until that day when Noah entered into the ark, and the flood arrived and destroyed them all.”—Luke 17:27; see also Matthew 24:38, 39.

Edited by Dages