JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Blood Industry Shrinks

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3495 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Interesting article from NYTimes

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/23/business/blood-industry-hurt-by-surplus.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=LargeMediaHeadlineSum&module=photo-spot-region&region=photo-spot&WT.nav=photo-spot&_r=2

Changes in medicine have eliminated the need for millions of blood transfusions, which is good news for patients getting procedures like coronary bypasses and other procedures that once required a lot of blood.

But the trend is wreaking havoc in the blood bank business, forcing a wave of mergers and job cutbacks unlike anything the industry, which became large scale after World War II, has ever seen.

Now that I think about it... I barely if at all hear of the demand anymore from the RedCross or on TV commercials. I don't even see the "Give Blood" trucks at various events anymore either. The medical places around where I work used to have like 2-3 blood drives on the street a month. I can't even remember the last time they've done one now.

Favorite Scriptures: Revelation 14:7 and Psalm 34:18 | Lost over 100 lbs following a whole food diet. 
¡Estoy aprendo español con Duolingo! | Lover of Ragdoll cats ❤️ Sammy & Toby