JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Whats going on?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3488 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I'll tell you what's on my wish list: An easier to use, hardcore interface for Watchtower Library 2014. I'll be honest, Proverbs nailed it when describing seeking wisdom, because digging through the current WTL interface can be as difficult as searching for silver. I'm very grateful to have it, but hidden treasures indeed. Here's hoping!

I can't agree about the current WTL interface (assuming you're talking about the cd-rom) everything can be improved but it's pretty good now in my opinion and I don't have difficulties finding the hiding treasures - can you give an example of what is hard to find?

I would like the images though

What I really hope for is JW Library on Portuguese and fully loaded with all the pubs - I can wait longer for the annotations and other side functionalities...

Hmm. I'd say that intuitive navigation is one hangup.  If I'm trying to look through many documents quickly, switching around between the entry box area, the search option area, results area, and the document area tends to interrupt my concentration.  When I'm doing deep research, my flow of thought is very important to me.  Moving backward and forward between different results is the same way.  Also, the results from the entry box don't always yield documents I expect, especially when I'm looking for a specific article that I KNOW exists.  Often, if I look through the publications index I can find what I was searching for, but that seems to defeat the purpose of an automated search function.

In 1994, this GUI was ahead of its time.  Now, it's showing its age. (I think they slightly updated it once)  Sure, I had the same challenges back then, but when you're a single guy without a lot of space for a comprehensive library, it was (literally) a godsend.  Thanks to WOL, I use WTL far less than I once did. JWL is catching up fast.  There are even many other secular online resources that I find much easier to navigate. (I use them for other translations, concordances, commentaries, dictionaries, etc)

I have no serious complaints about WTL. I LOVE having it and still use it regularly.  I simply believe that a little retooling would increase its usefulness to me.  However, hearing that not everyone has access to these tools in their native language does take the wind out of my sails a bit. So, if I could only pick one wish, I will amend my list to place "having Watchtower Library in Portuguese" (and other languages) above my request.   :D

It is still an amazing tool. (still would appreciate an updated UI)  ^_^

Hmm. I'd say that intuitive navigation is one hangup. If I'm trying to look through many documents quickly, switching around between the entry box area, the search option area, results area, and the document area tends to interrupt my concentration. When I'm doing deep research, my flow of thought is very important to me. Moving backward and forward between different results is the same way. Also, the results from the entry box don't always yield documents I expect, especially when I'm looking for a specific article that I KNOW exists. Often, if I look through the publications index I can find what I was searching for, but that seems to defeat the purpose of an automated search function.

In 1994, this GUI was ahead of its time. Now, it's showing its age. (I think they slightly updated it once) Sure, I had the same challenges back then, but when you're a single guy without a lot of space for a comprehensive library, it was (literally) a godsend. Thanks to WOL, I use WTL far less than I once did. JWL is catching up fast. There are even many other secular online resources that I find much easier to navigate. (I use them for other translations, concordances, commentaries, dictionaries, etc)

I have no serious complaints about WTL. I LOVE having it and still use it regularly. I simply believe that a little retooling would increase its usefulness to me. However, hearing that not everyone has access to these tools in their native language does take the wind out of my sails a bit. So, if I could only pick one wish, I will amend my list to place "having Watchtower Library in Portuguese" (and other languages) above my request. :D

It is still an amazing tool. (still would appreciate an updated UI) ^_^

I think, if I understood you correctly, that if you use multiple instances of WTL at the same time would help you a lot... You can open WTL several times and have several windows side by side

Enviado do meu G630-U10 através de Tapatalk

There are several work-arounds that can make it a bit easier.  And WTL is not, by any means, unusable or even terribly difficult to use. I definitely don't want to imply that.  However, if I were to design a program's UI from scratch, I would probably avoid making it necessary to open multiple instances just to overcome usability problems. Workarounds are, by their nature, typically a clunky solution to a design problem. A new UI is just on my "pie in the sky" dream-application wish list.  (there are several other things on my list that I don't imagine will ever happen)

I suspect JWL is the "wave of the future" and will likely replace WTL.  If so, the questions are: If it will eventually migrate to pc's, how? and would it still include the same older publications?  

Ooo! Or maybe WOL will link to installed data on a pc to expand it's available publication base.  THAT would be slick!

I love WATCHTOWER LIBRARY. :) .

My first wish is that the search engine worked more like google. I have never been a speller. WTL search engine requires exact spelling.

Google is not so particular about spelling and almost always gives me the topic I am looking for.

At 76 I doubt my spelling will improve. :(

Second is to be able to update over the internet. A new disk each year seems to be wasteful.

JWL is wonderful. 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Yes it's hard to be obedient when you don't fully understand the instuction.

But we have to obey no matter what, even if we don't understand. That's the beauty of it. We don't need to think for ourselves anymore, otherwise it could mean our destruction at Armageddon. I hope it's soon.

Sorry, Erin, but either you or I are not interpreting correctly the above comment. :)

We are talking about the new terms of use of the JW.org, the document written in legalese and quite hard to understand. I think what the brother meant is that it's difficult to obey when you don't understand what the instructions are. For if the trumpet sounds an indistinct call, who will get ready for battle? In the same way, unless you with the tongue use speech that is easily understood, how will anyone know what is being said? (1Co 14:8,9).

Now if we are talking about obeying the Slave, even if we don't agree or understand, then you are right. Our survival depends on that.

But we have to obey no matter what, even if we don't understand. That's the beauty of it. We don't need to think for ourselves anymore, otherwise it could mean our destruction at Armageddon. I hope it's soon.

We may not understand the reason , but we do need to understand the instruction.

It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step :- Jer10:23.

Not a day goes by wherein the truth of this scripture is not reaffirmed

We may not understand the reason , but we do need to understand the instruction.

When the Slave speaks to us, they do it in simple language that we understand without any problem.

So the fact that this text is written in technical legal language that is well above our heads for most of us, is another indication that it was not intended to forbid Witnesses from copying and pasting the daily text in JWTalk or in your Whatsapp group where you comment it every day with your friends, but rather to prevent strangers to distribute, tamper with or misuse our copyright-protected publications, and to prevent app creators from making money from them.

That's my personal appreciation, in any case.

When the Slave speaks to us, they do it in simple language that we understand without any problem.

So the fact that this text is written in technical legal language that is well above our heads for most of us, is another indication that it was not intended to forbid Witnesses from copying and pasting the daily text in JWTalk or in your Whatsapp group where you comment it every day with your friends, but rather to prevent strangers to distribute, tamper with or misuse our copyright-protected publications, and to prevent app creators from making money from them.

That's my personal appreciation, in any case.

Totally agree with you... Unless we are app developers or webmasters or in some way have bad intentions, we really don't need to understand the terms of use beyond the point that says "don't post content" on social networks like posting the caleb and sofia videos on facebook or youtube

My 2 cents on the new September 1 terms of use for jw.org regarding posting any 'content' any image, direct unedited text thereof (that originated from jw.org) is not (prohibited) to be posted onto any website on the world Wide Web (social media and the like).

And links to the official content is allowable.

I hope I'm correct on this regarding posting content

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

My 2 cents on the new September 1 terms of use for jw.org regarding posting any 'content' any image, direct unedited text thereof (that originated from jw.org) is not (prohibited) to be posted onto any website on the world Wide Web (social media and the like).

And links to the official content is allowable.

I hope I'm correct on this regarding posting content

Ashley, I am not sure of what you mean, especially the "is not (prohibited)" part. Would you please reword it for dummies like me? :)

Carlos, I probably didn't use the correct word. But that I'm taking the new terms of use to understand that any content (pictures, direct text, documents and videos) from jw.org from September 1st, must not be put on any other website (social networking/media or whatever).

And that I will make it a goal to abide by New terms of use from the Branch. I plan to implement what they are saying. And I'm hoping links are still permissible within the new TOU.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

Thank you, Ashley. I understand now. It's not your fault, it's mine. :innocent:

Links are of course permitted, no one can forbid linking to a site, and the TOU doesn't even mention that. The brothers want JW.org to be made known, not to keep it secret.

Most countries have fair use laws that allow brief quotations of copyrighted works, especially when they are used for research and in non-profit contexts. So brief quotations from our publications would be covered by fair use. Quoting whole articles is not permitted in JWTalk.

At risk of getting too technical, links should be strongly encouraged, not discouraged.

Google's search engine ranking determination is based on, among other things, the number of external links to a specific site or page. For the same search term, a site with no external links will rank lower than a site with ten links posted on facebook, which will rank lower than a site with a hundred links posted on forums.

In the eyes of Google (and many other search engines), every link is basically a "vote" for a specific site. So if we were to stop posting links entirely, if we stop voting, the search engine ranking will drop, and those searching for Biblical questions might end up on sites run by false religion, or possibly even apostates.

With that being said, each page can only vote once, so there's no need to post links multiple times over. In extreme cases, a high number of links on one page will even cause the value of each vote to drop, essentially nullifying the voting power of each link entirely.

Brief quotes sounds good to me. ☺

Out of curiosity I looked at the terms of use for JW Library app and it has similar verbiage as the September 1 jw.org terms of use. Something to consider if ones wanted to post JW Library app content on the Internet.