JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Supreme Court/Homosexual marriage

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3335 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

The religions are in favor of a ban, or rather, they are asking the Supreme Court for a ruling that would unambiguously give the states the right to impose their own bans.

IMO, the whole debate is just more evidence of the flawed legal system. If marriage is purely a religious vow, then the government has no right to interpret or enforce the beliefs of any religion onto others, nor to bestow a religious status on anyone. But if marriage is purely a status bestowed by the government, allowing religions to control secular marriage is like allowing Witnesses to ban blood banks.

Regardless of where marriage actually is on the government/religion scale, this is just another example of Babylon sitting as a "queen", attempting to control the laws of the world rulers.

And people are always so quick to say, gov't and religion should be kept seperate. Interesting that the homosexuals are the party wanting the gov't to step in.

This just proves the point, that mankind does not have the right, or the smarts to rule himself. Interesting thought, that. Why are we incapable of governing ourselves? Did Jehovah know that even a perfect mind wouldn't be able to handle all the situations that we weak humans could muster up?

That brought up another thought....where would we be without the Bible, Holy Spirit, and Jehovah's undeserved kindness?

• 5 months later...

Bumping this for a question.

If I'm an unmarried individual, can I name someone a legal proxy or give them medical power of attorney or in some way give another individual I am not related to (either through marriage or blood) the power to discuss my medical condition with doctors, be allowed in my hospital room, have the power to pull the plug, have access to my bank account, etc...?

In other words, are there legal steps a single person can take that would give someone they are not married to the same powers that are afforded to a spouse?

If I'm an unmarried individual, can I name someone a legal proxy or give them medical power of attorney or in some way give another individual I am not related to (either through marriage or blood) the power to discuss my medical condition with doctors, be allowed in my hospital room, have the power to pull the plug, have access to my bank account, etc...?

In other words, are there legal steps a single person can take that would give someone they are not married to the same powers that are afforded to a spouse?

Yes, they are called "Domestic Partnerships". It is a legal contract that does these things you note above. Most states recognize these.

Note: Marriage is not "just a religous vow". It is a legally binding contract between 2 parties that gives certain legal rights to property, insurance, medical, etc. THis is why many homosexuals are interesterd in this - over the domestic partnership which may or may not be recognized or need a different form depending on the state.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

A legal power of attorney can allow anyone to make decisions for you if you are unable. You can get one for health (durable power of attorney) and financial. You can have a lawyer draw it up or do it yourself but have it notarized. There should be a clause that states why the person has access to your medical and financial records. Like you are incapacated and unable to make decisions.

We know several people with no family in the truth and no spouses so they made legal arrangements. That way a worldly relative couldn't come and forward and go against their wishes.

Yes, they are called "Domestic Partnerships". It is a legal contract that does these things you note above. Most states recognize these.

Note: Marriage is not "just a religous vow". It is a legally binding contract between 2 parties that gives certain legal rights to property, insurance, medical, etc. THis is why many homosexuals are interesterd in this - over the domestic partnership which may or may not be recognized or need a different form depending on the state.

That was my point.  Is there a way to provide the same legal coverage that marriage supplies without getting married?  If so, then the argument about marriage equality and wanting the same legal rights under law is baseless.  

That was what I am trying to determine.

The problem with a domestic partnership is they are state specific, where marriages are recognized in all states and countries.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Is there a way to provide the same legal coverage that marriage supplies without getting married?

I know an elderly sister with no family in the truth, who has named an elder as her DPA.

On several occasions, her children and grandchildren have overwritten the DPA and forced blood on her, and neither the elder nor the HLC was able to intervene, because the hospital views blood relatives as having greater authority than non-relatives with a DPA.

Marriage, on the other hand, is absolute. Unless the opposed family members can prove that the marriage partner is not acting in the patient's best interests, other family members have no authority to intervene whatsoever.