JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

New World Translation (2013 revision) in additional languages

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 653 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

2 hours ago, Omo_Yeme said:

Referencing jw.org, we now have the RNWT in 36 languages

Jehovah's chariot is indeed on the mooove!  :)

Wow that's a lot more than the new song book I believe?

Curious if you counted each of those while manually checking the site in each language, or did you have some sort of automated way to gather that total?

9 hours ago, Brandon said:

Curious if you counted each of those while manually checking the site in each language, or did you have some sort of automated way to gather that total?

You can check it here at this link brother.  https://www.jw.org/download/?fileformat=PDF&output=html&pub=nwt&option=TRGCHlZRQVNYVrXF

14 hours ago, Omo_Yeme said:

Referencing jw.org, we now have the RNWT in 36 languages: 

• Amharic -  Azerbaijani  -  Azerbaijani (Cyrillic)
  • Chitonga  -  Chitumbuka
  • Dutch
  • English  -  Estonian  -  Ewe
  • Fijan
  • Gun
  • Haitian Creole  -  Hiligaynon  -  Hindi
  • Kazakh  -  Kikaonde  -  Kiribati  -  Kongo  -  Korean
  • Luganda  -  Luvale
  • Malayalam  -  Myanmar
  • Otetela
  • Pangasinan  -  Portuguese  -  Portuguese (Portugal)
  • Sango  -  Silozi
  • Tamil  -  Tatar  -  Thai  -  Tigrinya  -  Tongan
  • Ukrainian
  • Vietnamese

Jehovah's chariot is indeed on the mooove!  :)

Thank you for the update, Sister Sandra. It had been some time since I had watched the numbers. It is so good to know that more and more brothers and sisters are receiving their new editions of the Bible! ^_^

For this revised edition we can add four other languages:

American Sign Language
Brazilian Sign Language
Italian Sign Language
Korean Sign Language

Looks like I was wrong about the new songbook, there are quite a few languages! 

https://www.jw.org/download/?fileformat=PDF&pub=sjj 

Though to be fair, some of these have only lyrics and not the piano. I'm not sure if those ones will get both PDF files as options later, or if some languages just only get lyrics?  

On 10/6/2017 at 11:10 PM, Thesauron said:

La Bible. Traduction du monde nouveau.

Our French brothers and sisters will know this title...

Johan

[A new publication presented at the convention] in French has the Scripture quotations taken from the revised NWT.

Edited by carlos

Removed title to avoid spoiler

14 hours ago, ArthurW said:

[A new publication presented at the convention] in French has the Scripture quotations taken from the revised NWT.

Lots of languages that have the new publication (not saying the name because of spoilers) available have the same thing. Spanish, French, and I think German as well have the cited texts from the revised nwt. 

Edited by MM9106

9 hours ago, MM9106 said:

Lots of languages that have the new publication (not saying the name because of spoilers) available have the same thing. Spanish, French, and I think German as well have the cited texts from the revised nwt. 

Czech, Danish, German, Italian, Norwegian, Slovak, Spanish and Swedish (language where are expecting revised Bibles in the near future) all quote from the English revised NWT, not the vernacular one. ;) So the Bibles are not to be released at the end of this service year in these languages.

Czech, Danish, German, Italian, Norwegian, Slovak, Spanish and Swedish (language where are expecting revised Bibles in the near future) all quote from the English revised NWT, not the vernacular one. ;) So the Bibles are not to be released at the end of this service year in these languages.

Don't be too sure. It just means they are not ready to be published in time for the convention.

Johan

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

7 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Don't be too sure. It just means they are not ready to be published in time for the convention.

Johan

They could have also just translated the verses that are used in the publication. It could mean that they are making progress and working on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic. Love the local design. It's available in Uzbek (Uzbekistan) and Uzbek (Russia).

Johan

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

10 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Fantastic. Love the local design. It's available in Uzbek (Uzbekistan) and Uzbek (Russia).

Johan

How beautiful the cover art! Is it the whole New World translation?

Edited by Araujo JW

In Welsh, our brothers don't have any part of the NWT. They are still using Y Beibl Cymraeg Newydd (The New Welsh Bible). That was the one I used when I used to preach in Welsh during the early 90s.

However, I can imagine that undertaking the task of translating the whole Bible into Welsh with only a minimum number of Welsh-speaking JWs would be a HUUUUGE job.

That said, the Catalanes have the Bible in Català now, don't they Carlos?

Slightly off-topic, but I love how the Welsh congs were, until a couple of months back, studying the Bible Stories book instead of the Kingdom Rules book. I would so love to study the former at our midweek meeting!

It's bigger on the inside!

It's interesting that the cover in the Uzbek version doesn't say "New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures" but simply "The Bible" or more literally "The Holy Book" which is the name by which the Bible is known in Muslim countries.

We had this problem in Dutch also. The translation was: Nieuwe-Wereldvertaling van de Heilige Schrift. It was a literal translation of the English one. But the term "Heilige Schrift" is also used for the Quran.
Now it says in Dutch: Bijbel - nieuwewereldvertaling.

In Arabic it also says: The Holy Book - new world translation.

I think that the brothers just use what it common in the target language to refer to the Bible.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G903F met Tapatalk

It's interesting that the cover in the Uzbek version doesn't say "New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures" but simply "The Bible" or more literally "The Holy Book" which is the name by which the Bible is known in Muslim countries.

The translators are more free this time to give it a title suitable for the territory. In many languages it is called "The Bible—The New World Translation" or something along those lines.

Johan

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

In Portuguese it was changed from New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures to New World Translation of the Holy Bible. And the book of Revelation was changed to Apocalipsis.

Edited by Araujo JW

On 6/25/2017 at 10:32 AM, Zacchaeus The Short said:

So nice to see more and more languages. :) 

We need Spanish and Georgian as well please :) 

I was in a slightly-crazy-impatient phase regarding the Spanish translation for the first year or two after the 2013 Annual Meeting, but I've since come to peace with waiting as long as the Faithful and Discreet Slave need.

What really made me shut up, both verbally and in the heart, was the amazing realization of how many of our brothers didn't even have the "old" NWT, or maybe just a part of it.

Jehovah is surely not partial; the vast numbers of Spanish don't outweigh the love Jehovah has for our brothers worldwide.  It's wonderful!

Edited by Luis

left out a word

I was in a slightly-crazy-impatient phase regarding the Spanish translation for the first year or two after the 2013 Annual Meeting, but I've since come to peace with waiting as long as the Faithful and Discreet Slave need.

What really made me shut up, both verbally and in the heart, was the amazing realization of how many of our brothers didn't even have the "old" NWT, or maybe just a part of it.

Jehovah is surely not partial; the vast numbers of Spanish don't outweigh the love Jehovah has for our brothers worldwide.  It's wonderful!

It takes some time because the brothers and sisters are doing a painstakingly difficult job that occupies a lot of thought. Imagine how careful you would be if you had the privilege of translating God's Word - would you let it take the time it needs rather than rushing it?

And, as you mentioned, so many brothers and sisters are really hungry for a clear and modern translation of the Bible in the language of their heart, and some, believe it or not, don't even have any translation at all of the entire Bible. Don't you appreciate the efforts done to train brothers and sisters speaking such languages to become Bible translators? And that some of the money we put into the contribution box can help with this and even make sure our poor brothers and sisters can get a Bible of their own to love and cherish. And we're grateful that Jehovah is using his willing servants to accomplish this.

As for the Spanish Bible - I'm sure you'll have it sooner than you think. A revision takes about 3 years if the source material is good, and a completely new translation about 6.

Johan

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

On 26/6/2017 at 9:27 PM, Thesauron said:

As for the Spanish Bible - I'm sure you'll have it sooner than you think. A revision takes about 3 years if the source material is good, and a completely new translation about 6.

We do need the "completely new translation" option, please. :)

I am not a big fan of the old NWT in Spanish. The text is 60 years old which implies that it uses a lot of words that are no longer common. Besides it was the first translation after the English and the brothers were a bit obsessed with following the English version so accurately that often the language is awkward and not natural at all, some times even grammatically wrong. Articles for teenagers and children in Spanish quote from other more recent translations most of the time because young people cannot understand the NWT.

I don't mind if it takes a while, I'm sure it will be a delight to read the new version.

We do need the "completely new translation" option, please.

I am not a big fan of the old NWT in Spanish. The text is 60 years old which implies that it uses a lot of words that are no longer common. Besides it was the first translation after the English and the brothers were a bit obsessed with following the English version so accurately that often the language is awkward and not natural at all, some times even grammatically wrong. Articles for teenagers and children in Spanish quote from other more recent translations most of the time because young people cannot understand the NWT.

I don't mind if it takes a while, I'm sure it will be a delight to read the new version.

Same problem with the Dutch one. If I remember correctly the Spanish, Dutch and some other translations were released at the same time, right?

It was a literal translation of the English one, and difficult to read. Also a lot of the citations in Dutch publications were from other bible translations.

But we now have the NWT; really, it is completely different, and they did the translation work in quite a short time.

Conclusion: I have good hope for the Spanish translation. You will have it very soon, and it will be in the language of your heart

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G903F met Tapatalk