JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

New World Translation (2013 revision) in additional languages

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 628 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

It seems that Thai has been added to the list!

Yes, now we have the revised New World Translation officially in 16 languages!  :ecstatic:

Amharic
Azerbaijani
Azerbaijani (Cyrillic)
Chitumbuka
English
Estonian
Ewe
Fijian
Haitian Creole
Hiligaynon
Kazakh
Kongo
Korean
Portuguese (Brazil)
Thai
Ukrainian

More language added to the list: Amharic (spoken in Ethiopia).

http://www.jw.org/download/?fileformat=PDF&output=html&pub=nwt&option=TRGCHlZRQVNYVrXF

Yes, now we have the revised New World Translation officially in 16 languages!  :ecstatic:

Amharic
Azerbaijani
Azerbaijani (Cyrillic)
Chitumbuka
English
Estonian
Ewe
Fijian
Haitian Creole
Hiligaynon
Kazakh
Kongo
Korean
Portuguese (Brazil)
Thai
Ukrainian

16? or 15?

16? or 15?

I told Azerbaijani as the two languages because of their differences, just as there is a difference between the Portuguese spoken in Brazil and spoken in Portugal. Although we already have our revised version, the Portuguese brothers expect to receive their Bible adapted to their way of speaking, although the same language.

Edited by Araujo JW

I told Azerbaijani as the two languages because of their differences, just as there is a difference between the Portuguese spoken in Brazil and spoken in Portugal. Although we already have our revised version, the Portuguese brothers expect to receive their Bible adapted to their way of speaking, although the same language.

16? or 15?

I'm sorry. When searching now, I realized that the difference is only in writing (cyrillic alphabet, or Russian and Latin alphabet). You're right. Taking this into consideration are 15 languages.

http://en.people.cn/english/200108/02/eng20010802_76330.html

I can not say the same when the Portuguese brothers receive their Bibles. Even speaking the same language we speak here in Brazil, the differences are so great that virtually are two different languages.

Edited by Araujo JW

According to another thread, the NWT has been released in Kikongo and Umbundu. Very happy for those brothers and sisters. Still hoping for some news regarding the Spanish revision. Last I heard was that it'll come in due time, just pray for those working on all translation work and be patient.

I was sent a picture of revised NWT in another language yet to be added on the list. However my lips are sealed until they have their convention in 2-3 weeks. So can we say 22.5 languages? ;)

To this David said: “What have I done now? I was only asking a question!”

– 1 Samuel 17:29

I was sent a picture of revised NWT in another language yet to be added on the list. However my lips are sealed until they have their convention in 2-3 weeks. So can we say 22.5 languages? ;)

There's a big series of regional conventions in a particular African country in 2-3 weeks... :ph34r:​  could it be...?  :shifty:

Amharic

Azerbaijani

Azerbaijani (Cyrillic)

Chitonga,

Chitumbuka

English

Estonian

Ewe

Fijian

Gun

Haitian Creole

Hiligaynon

Kazakh

Kikaonde

Kikongo

Kongo

Korean

Luganga

Luvale 

Portuguese (Brazil)

Thai

Ukrainian

Umbumdu

22 languages!

Still Only 16   ... http://www.jw.org/download/?fileformat=PDF&output=html&pub=nwt&option=TRGCHlZRQVNYVrXF

• Amharic
  • Azerbaijani
  • Azerbaijani (Cyrillic)
  • Chitumbuka
  • English
  • Estonian
  • Ewe
  • Fijian
  • Haitian Creole
  • Hiligaynon
  • Kazakh
  • Kongo
  • Korean
  • Portuguese
  • Thai
  • Ukrainian

Edited by timpin

Surprised because in Turkish, Romanian and Bulgarian - they have the grey bibles now

That probably means those languages are not getting revisions since they were recently released. This happened too with Albanian. About a month after the revised English bible was released, the Albanian brothers in the area got a shipment of grey NWTs, but it was the edition that was originally released, not revised. From what it looks like, if a language has had the NWT for a while (languages like Spanish, German, Japanese etc..) and they haven't received the current edition with a grey cover, that means that a revision is probably in the works for those languages and the revision will be released with a grey cover obviously. I find this subject of the NWT being released and revised in different languages fascinating. Shows how Jehovah and the Faithful Slave want everyone to have a current and simple translation of the bible. Can't wait to see new languages added to the list. Hopefully the Spanish one will come soon, since that is my native language.

That probably means those languages are not getting revisions since they were recently released. This happened too with Albanian. About a month after the revised English bible was released, the Albanian brothers in the area got a shipment of grey NWTs, but it was the edition that was originally released, not revised. From what it looks like, if a language has had the NWT for a while (languages like Spanish, German, Japanese etc..) and they haven't received the current edition with a grey cover, that means that a revision is probably in the works for those languages and the revision will be released with a grey cover obviously. I find this subject of the NWT being released and revised in different languages fascinating. Shows how Jehovah and the Faithful Slave want everyone to have a current and simple translation of the bible. Can't wait to see new languages added to the list. Hopefully the Spanish one will come soon, since that is my native language.

I think the grey cover has to do more with the change in the printing method at the press factory (in the case of these languages, Japan). All of these translations use the 1984 NWT English base text, hence the bi12 mnemonic symbol for them. Maybe in a future, they will be revised using the 2013 RNWT base text. But, as I read on many posts here and many articles, translation is a BIIIIIIIIIIIG work, and translating the Bible, a MUCH BIIIIIIGGER work. But it is done with joy, because we know lives are at stake, and people from all nations must know Jehovah's Word.

And also... yes, I hopefully wait for the Spanish version to come out... soon...

(Highlight came to JW Library, so, I'll keep on waiting)

I think the grey cover has to do more with the change in the printing method at the press factory (in the case of these languages, Japan). All of these translations use the 1984 NWT English base text, hence the bi12 mnemonic symbol for them.

All Bibles printed now are being printed with grey covers. But for languages where the new translation is in process, no new bibles are being printed, so the few remaining copies are all with the old covers.

Keep in mind that the Introduction and Appendix sections may be added to the current translation.  It was explained to me that some languages which were recently translated (1984 ed) actually were the cause of the English revision so the new language already benefited from the update and there is no reason to go back again.  When I was at Walkill Bethel in August, I watched the brothers printing Bibles in the Black and Maroon covers for other languages.  I am sure it was the 1984 Reference edition.  I could not see the languages involved, but the guide said they were for the foreign field.  So not every bible printed has a grey cover (at least in August).

Keep in mind that the Introduction and Appendix sections may be added to the current translation.  It was explained to me that some languages which were recently translated (1984 ed) actually were the cause of the English revision so the new language already benefited from the update and there is no reason to go back again.  When I was at Walkill Bethel in August, I watched the brothers printing Bibles in the Black and Maroon covers for other languages.  I am sure it was the 1984 Reference edition.  I could not see the languages involved, but the guide said they were for the foreign field.  So not every bible printed has a grey cover (at least in August).

Taking this into consideration then we can say that we have the New World Translation (based on the 2013 revision) in 25 languages. I am right?

Amharic

Azerbaijani

Azerbaijani (Cyrillic)

Bulgarian

Chitonga

Chitumbuka

English

Estonian

Ewe

Fijian

Gun

Haitian Creole

Hiligaynon

Kazakh

Kikaonde

Kikongo

Kongo

Korean

Luganga

Luvale 

Portuguese (Brazil)

Romanian

Thai

Turkish

Ukrainian

Umbumdu

On the S-28 Monthly Literature record, there is a row for New World Translation (nwt), and another row for NWT Deluxe (Grey) (DLbi12).

It threw me at first, thinking that the revised NWT is a grey deluxe bible, and wondered what the difference was.  Of course the nwt is the 2013 revised version, and the DLbi12 is based on the 1984 version.  Both are Grey.

Maybe they were using the black and maroon materials that they still have, until they run out.

What I know for sure is that for languages that don't expect to have the new revision any time soon, they are printing the bibles with grey covers.

Br. Carlos,  Does the Romanian version use the equivalent expression of the English "times indefinite" or do you use the term "forever"?  When talking to the brothers about translation, they said that the conversion of the terms caused the brothers to review the English term used.  So some languages were given the new term "forever" (as an example) and so they have the 2013 revision built-in to the existing translation.  Only languages that had an older existing NWT. which had the older terms or words, these are the ones needing a "new" revision.  I do not know anything about the Romanian version.

As to the maroon and black color covers that I mentioned, they were printing 1984 version alongside grey colored revised ones.  I only know what the Bethel tour guide said (but I did see them myself).

Taking this into consideration then we can say that we have the New World Translation (based on the 2013 revision) in 25 languages. I am right?

Amharic

Azerbaijani

Azerbaijani (Cyrillic)

Bulgarian

Chitonga

Chitumbuka

English

Estonian

Ewe

Fijian

Gun

Haitian Creole

Hiligaynon

Kazakh

Kikaonde

Kikongo

Kongo

Korean

Luganga

Luvale 

Portuguese (Brazil)

Romanian

Thai

Turkish

Ukrainian

Umbumdu

NO!   ... For the THIRD time    ...   I don't know how else to explain it to you any clearer, just because it has a GRAY cover Does Not make it a 2013 Revised Edition - there are clearly only 16 Revised 2013 Revised Editions according to   ... http://www.jw.org/download/?fileformat=PDF&output=html&pub=nwt&option=TRGCHlZRQVNYVrXF

• Amharic
  • Azerbaijani
  • Azerbaijani (Cyrillic)
  • Chitumbuka
  • English
  • Estonian
  • Ewe
  • Fijian
  • Haitian Creole
  • Hiligaynon
  • Kazakh
  • Kongo