JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Interesting find in1922 Golden Age Article

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2499 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

That is pretty crazy. Although I will say, as "prophetic" as that paragraph is, the last sentence of the paragraph before ended up being as far accurate as you can get.

"But ingenious devices are appearing on the horizon which promise to eliminate opportunity for fraud in conveying ideas."

For as much good the internet (and non-stop access on our phones) provides, so much of it is used to spread lies and fraudulent ideas.  Every "ingenious" device invented by man ends up being corrupted by man.

Thinking the same thing. 

Eh, one out of two ain't bad.

All

I don't know this is from Rutherford. 

The article is The Gift of Speech H. E. Coffey. It was a two-page article.

Regarding this quote from it: "But ingenious devices are appearing on the horizon which promise to eliminate opportunity for fraud in conveying ideas."  Notice it said "promise," as opposed to "will." Therefore, the statement cannot be appraised as inaccurate.

That is pretty crazy. Although I will say, as "prophetic" as that paragraph is, the last sentence of the paragraph before ended up being as far accurate as you can get.

"But ingenious devices are appearing on the horizon which promise to eliminate opportunity for fraud in conveying ideas."

For as much good the internet (and non-stop access on our phones) provides, so much of it is used to spread lies and fraudulent ideas. Every "ingenious" device invented by man ends up being corrupted by man.

That is pretty crazy. Although I will say, as "prophetic" as that paragraph is, the last sentence of the paragraph before ended up being as far accurate as you can get. "But ingenious devices are appearing on the horizon which promise to eliminate opportunity for fraud in conveying ideas." For as much good the internet (and non-stop access on our phones) provides, so much of it is used to spread lies and fraudulent ideas.  Every "ingenious" device invented by man ends up being corrupted by man.

what are you trying to say? That we can't believe what we read on the Internet? Oh great!

Doesn't anyone realize that the ability to go straight to jw.org eliminates all kinds of frauds and lies that apostates and opposers can perpetuate in our name.   One can go there and compare it to the incorrect information they receive and see for themselves what the truth is.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, the connections! Amazing! ☺

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

Brother Sanderson grew up here in San Diego where his mother still lives in a neighboring congregation to mine. I did email the article to a close friend of hers, so, who knows? :)

Wow, name dropping without name dropping, didn't think it was possible - leave it to the Borg!

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

Oh, and here I was thinking, that nickname Stavro on this board must have been Brother Sanderson! Eg. of the anointed (yes?), knowledgeable, unmarried and residing on the East Coast USA! ... :S

To this David said: “What have I done now? I was only asking a question!”

– 1 Samuel 17:29

Just noticed it  but it was not Rutherford but as in posting part of page 462 shows writer of article "The Gift of Speech" to be H.E. Coffey ( no Jerry :coffee: Not Coffee ) which followed the article "Woe to you Lawyers" by John Buckley. I would post whole magazine but unless I could get it as a rtf file instead of pdf file -it is way too big. B)

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Just noticed it  but it was not Rutherford but as in posting part of page 462 shows writer of article "The Gift of Speech" to be H.E. Coffey ( no Jerry :coffee: Not Coffee ) which followed the article "Woe to you Lawyers" by John Buckley. I would post whole magazine but unless I could get it as a rtf file instead of pdf file -it is way too big. B)

Yes, as mentioned in these two posts among others. You are late for the party again Peter! :)

Comes from having a hole in my chest, on strong antibiotics, and not being able to pursue all posts. Bye the way -got my PICC line out today after 7 weeks and now freedom :ecstatic: ( was about 2 feet long going in arm just above elbow , threaded down to heart, had IV line attached ). Be another 2 weeks before I can drive though - over 3 months of having my wife drive - :scared::shutup::help:

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

• 9 months later...

Nikola Tesla and his predictions
Nikola Tesla (1856-1943) was a brilliant physicist best known for his contributions to electrical engineering together with Thomas Edison. But he is also known for making some fascinating predictions, one of them seeing fulfillment in today's smart phone. His first prediction appeared in the October 1909 edition of Popular Mechanics, under his article as quoted from the New York Times: Wireless of the Future. This article can be seen here in Google Books. There he said that a future telephone will be an "inexpensive instrument not bigger that a watch." While his prediction of it being "inexpensive" is certainly debatable currently, he made a similar prediction seventeen years later in 1926, or four years after the Golden Age issue. There, in the January 30 issue of Colliers magazine (seen here), he said:

We shall be able to communicate with one another instantly, irrespective of distance. Not only this, but through television and telephony we shall see and hear one another as perfectly as though we were face to face, despite intervening distances of thousands of miles; and the instruments through which we shall be able to do his will be amazingly simple compared with our present telephone. A man will be able to carry one in his vest pocket. (underscore added)

Considering the similarities between the April 26, 1922 issue of the Golden Age and Tesla's 1909 prediction, later repeated in 1926, I imagine it is possible that Brother H. E. Coffey was familiar with Tesla's 1909 prediction, and perhaps Tesla was familiar with the 1922 Golden Age article.

Edited by Jimspace

Wow!!!!!!!  Only in Jehovah's organization.  Thank you so much for sharing this. 

(Deuteronomy 28:3)  “Blessed you will be in the city, and blessed you will be in the field.

Being blessed by Jehovah is not contingent on location, assignment or circumstances. 

• 1 year later...
On 8/15/2015 at 2:09 PM, Jimspace said:

While his prediction of it being "inexpensive" is certainly debatable currently, he made a similar prediction seventeen years later in 1926, or four years after the Golden Age issue.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/07/10/tesla-quotes_n_7771358.html

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/video/nikola-teslas-hundred-year-old-prediction-about-smartphones-was-eerily-accurate/vi-BBBQ3Ld?ocid=spartandhp

I recently saw some clickbait that mentioned Tesla predicted the cell phone, I also found an older news article but I see it was already mentioned. :D

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D