JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3470 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God

Justin Welby tells BBC radio interviewer there are moments when he doubts – but he is certain about the existence of Jesus

The archbishop of Canterbury has admitted to having doubts about the existence of God and disclosed that on a recent morning jog with his dog he questioned why the Almighty had failed to intervene to prevent an injustice.

In a light-hearted but personal interview in front of hundreds of people in Bristol cathedral last weekend, Justin Welby said: "There are moments, sure, where you think 'Is there a God? Where is God?'"

Read More: Guardian uk

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/sep/18/archbishop-canterbury-doubt-god-existence-welby

Yikes...that's their "leader" making those types of statements? Give JW and Jehovah everyday.

Come join our service group singers......♫ Grant us boldness we witness....help us overcome our fear. ♫

A dog? Hummm Ezekiel 38:

“‘On that day, the day when Gog invades the land of Israel,’ declares the Sovereign Lord Jehovah, ‘my great rage will flare up. 19 In my zeal, in the fire of my fury, I will speak; and in that day there will be a great earthquake in the land of Israel. 20 Because of me the fish of the sea, the birds of the sky, the wild beasts of the field, all the reptiles that creep on the ground, and all humans on the surface of the earth will tremble, and the mountains will be thrown down, and the cliffs will fall, and every wall will collapse to the ground.’

20Because of me the FISH of the sea, the BIRDS of the sky, the wild BEASTS of the field, all the REPTILES that creep on the ground, and all humans on the surface of the earth will tremble, and the mountains will be thrown down, and the cliffs will fall, and every wall will collapse to the ground.’

This scripture suggests that animals know the creator... Unlike this ( religious ) guy

I just read the article....his comments IMHO are worse than the headline. He doubts God's existence but definitely believes in Jesus? Uses Psalms 88 as justification?

Just ugh.

Come join our service group singers......♫ Grant us boldness we witness....help us overcome our fear. ♫

Faith is not a possession of all people (2 Thess 3:2).

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102000168

Maybe I'll be the only one to admit it here, but there have been times when I too have doubted the existence of God.  During these times I apply myself more fully to building that personal relationship with him.  I pray about doubts, and so on.  

For this poor man, he's been educated in false religion.  He may truly be a sincere individual, and he's expressing his doubts, and opening himself up to slanderous attacks because he's being 'gasp' honest about his thoughts.   Maybe this man is actually a sheep, and as Mykyl said, someone needs to point him in the right direction.  

WE can pray that he gets that direction.  Jehovah wants ALL people to be saved, even this guy.

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

Maybe if he doesn't believe in God he wont have to answer to him.

(Works for the proverbial ostrich.)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-aFLjHhFdoEQ/UBFQjeJJKGI/AAAAAAAAAec/ZWZE1Miz50s/s1600/ostriches-800wi.jpg

It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step :- Jer10:23.

Not a day goes by wherein the truth of this scripture is not reaffirmed

Faith is not a possession of all people (2 Thess 3:2).

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102000168

Maybe I'll be the only one to admit it here, but there have been times when I too have doubted the existence of God.  During these times I apply myself more fully to building that personal relationship with him.  I pray about doubts, and so on.  

For this poor man, he's been educated in false religion.  He may truly be a sincere individual, and he's expressing his doubts, and opening himself up to slanderous attacks because he's being 'gasp' honest about his thoughts.   Maybe this man is actually a sheep, and as Mykyl said, someone needs to point him in the right direction.  

WE can pray that he gets that direction.  Jehovah wants ALL people to be saved, even this guy.

Faith needs a foundation Through bible study you have something to build on. He has nothing.

It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step :- Jer10:23.

Not a day goes by wherein the truth of this scripture is not reaffirmed

Quick, quick, quick! Someone with a public witnessing cart /stand/table- go outside the CNN radio headquarters!

Ezekiel 38:23--And I will certainly magnify myself and sanctify myself and make myself known before the eyes of many nations; and they will have to know that I am Jehovah.’

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

Let the one who has never doubted, not even slightly, cast the first stone. Best keep those pebbles and rocks on the floor. At least he is honest. Lost, but honest.

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."

Quite.  Am I and a few others in the tiny minority here?  Have the vast majority never, ever questioned or doubted some things, even something as seemingly fundamental as to what God is doing, even so far as to wonder if he is really out there?

I don't think there is ever anything wrong with facing up to any questions or doubts and going back to the Bible to sort them out.  It's not automatically lack of faith and it's not automatically spiritual weakness.

surely this is news though and worthy of different opinions and discusion?

Absolutely.  I just think that it's easy to sneer at what he is saying since it's quite an admission for a so called spiritual leader.  The downside of that is that it implies that any such questions or doubts by us is something to be ashamed of.  I don't think it's unusual or unnatural for one to at some point have asked some fundamental questions.  I also don't think that this is automatically a sign of spiritual weakness or danger.

I personally think it is good to follow the Beroean example and keep on checking.  I like to challenge myself on finding answers to some queries I have.  I don't like to bury my head in the sand and hope for the best if something is not clear.  It builds my faith if I know I have looked into something and found sound, scriptural answers.  I know this is perhaps opening the discussion beyond the AoC and his words but I don't think it is would be a bad thing if all us went and asked some questions like

"what is it that convinces me we are in last days?"

"what is it that convinces me God's Kingdom was established in 1914?"

"what is it that convinces me that Adam and Eve were created 6000 years ago?"

"what is it that convinces me that Jesus gave his life as a ransom and is now ruling as a king in heaven?"

"what is it that convinces me that the Bible is God's written word?"

"how would I respond to someone who asks why God permits so much human suffering?"

Some might suggest why would you ask these if you have already answered them many years ago but these things should be clear in our mind and I see only benefits in occasionally making sure these things are firmly set. 

The thing is - this so-called spiritual leader could do something about his lack of faith in God and if he has asked himself any of these questions, is he REALLY searching for the answers? How good could his study of the bible be if he doesn't believe in God? So obviously, he is not taking any steps to remedy his situation except to go on air and tell everyone else his pathetic spiritual condition.

Edited by shali

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

If he believes in Jesus but doubts God, isn't it possible, at least theoretically, that he has subconscious doubts about the trinity, or other unscriptural depictions of god?

While he does profess to be a spiritual leader, his faith is toward Babylon itself, not Scriptural truth that he's never had the opportunity to learn. So instead of criticizing his lack of faith in Satan's version of god, we should be overjoyed that he's coming to his senses and realizing that the teachings of Babylon might not be completely correct.

In time, he may even come out of Babylon completely and become our brother. If he is on that path, we should be welcoming him with open arms, not chastising him for doubting the teachings of Satan.

for all the years i seperated myself from Jehovah i never doubted his existance. of course we should go over and recheck things to stregthen my faith.. yes... to make sure i am trying my best to meet Jehovahs standards but to convince me Jehovah exists?

i could not be more convinced.

but i cant comend this man on his statement ... think id be sick.

still i respect other views.:-)

For a church where I have argued the doctrine Trinity with it's members, looking at it from his point of view, how can he doubt God and not doubt Jesus if his church claims they are one and the same person?? 

Other members I have met on the Ministry treat the church as a 'social hub' or a place they enjoy a good sing, admit to believing none of it and are still active members with positions on their committees.

No wonder atheists who live in the same neighbourhood described religion/God/Jesus as 'Santa Claus for the Soul' when this is the feeble example of so-called Christians they are set by those around them

Edited by retroHelen

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)