JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Yes. Visually I didn't find any major changes.

The major upgrades are related with comunication aspects such as messaging and use of FaceTime. Some of the new features need the release of Yosemite, which is still not available.

What I'm really expecting is the update of Equipd.

maps in appendix B in the Bible and the songbook in JW Library may be missing until the brothers update the App to work with iOS 8   ...   give it a day or two.

Equipd updates coming soon too  .... http://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/7521-equipd/page-6  .... all should be very smooth shortly.

Edited by timpin

And for appendix B maps, the open in online library works for those until the update.

As for the memory issue. I deleted my Microsoft office apps and that got me from 5.8 to 6.9 gig free.

After the install, I have 6.8 free. So I can reinstall office. It just needs it for all the temp things it does while updating. It doesn't keep that amount once loaded.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I like it ... There is a little tips app that comes with the download ..

More gesture functions

Send an imbeded voice message in messages

A whole new health data center ... Waiting for new apps for that

Answer right from the notification drop down

Answer mail quickly.. Swipe right to mark email swipe far left to delete it

Let Siri listen to music to identify a song

Waiting for an email from some one special get a notification

Share apps with family

Timer for camera to take better selfies.. So you can prop it up and pose like a movie star..

Plus ......

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

I like the temporary location sharing (for those who don't want to share it perminantly through Find My Friends). It will be great for keeping tabs on others in Field Service, especially in rural areas where you can't see the house from the road. Plus, it will be handy to keep in contact with friends at large assemblies (thinking of the Melbourne IC).

I had no trouble downloading or installing iOS8 on both my iPhone and iPad — but I did make sure to have everything backed up just in case.

Deleted Garage band & it freed up the necessary space,the actual update was 1.3gb,I"m not keen on the dark shading on bookmarks,quite like the new predictive text feature with smileys,noticed last night that the calendar has also changed,JW library works ok except the songbook,can get lyrics only version,which I"m happy to put up with until the brothers get around to an update

Hey Siri, a new feature that lets you talk to Siri without even touching the phone. Just say "Hey Siri" and tell it what you want. Siri will check your text messages, read them, ask you if you want to reply, say your reply and send. Checks email too. You can even tell it to close itself. It has to be plugged in for it to work and you must enable it in settings. Useful while driving.

Equipd works fine for me after the update.

I like it ... There is a little tips app that comes with the download ..

More gesture functions

Send an imbeded voice message in messages

A whole new health data center ... Waiting for new apps for that

Answer right from the notification drop down

Answer mail quickly.. Swipe right to mark email swipe far left to delete it

Let Siri listen to music to identify a song

Waiting for an email from some one special get a notification

Share apps with family

Timer for camera to take better selfies.. So you can prop it up and pose like a movie star..

Plus ......

Overall iOS 8 seems to be one of Apples better upgrades,  I'm sure JW Library and Equipd will catch up very soon  ... https://www.facebook.com/equipd.me

Hey Siri, a new feature that lets you talk to Siri without even touching the phone. Just say "Hey Siri" and tell it what you want. Siri will check your text messages, read them, ask you if you want to reply, say your reply and send. Checks email too. You can even tell it to close itself. It has to be plugged in for it to work and you must enable it in settings. Useful while driving.

sounds like "ok google"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I see a lot of under the hood upgrades. I especially like being able to see what is using my battery the most. The interoperability between iPhone and iPad for FaceTime is interesting. I am not so sure about the contact in the App Switcher. I turned that and the predictive type off. I am really happy about the Itunes family sharing. It makes it easy to monitor the kids. Or the spouse ;)  I am looking forward to getting an iPhone 6 to see how it uses some of these changes in iOS. I am glad that there have not  been significant changes to the UI. I know this is one of the things that Android users tease iOS about. But I like the simple UI. It makes it things quick and easy to access. 

I'm having problems with the iJW app as well it won't allow me to upload anything to it any more but I am not sure whether it's the iOS update that's caused it or it is because it's been withdrawn from iTunes UK ( still says it's available in US store) any ideas?

Suggestions for alternatives would be welcome as I'm really missing this app lol

After the update I' m having the same problem with the songbook & the Appendex B in the Bible. Also, Appendix a - nothing comes up after A5. As far as the songbook goes, several years ago I was able to get the songbook in PDF format with links (looks almost like the one on JW Library app). I uploaded it to my Acrobat storage then downloaded it to documents. Works fine.

I hope an update for the JW Library is coming soon ... My application does not show song book as well

But I have another "work" iPad with ancient ios6 on it and there is no problem there with the songbook.

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)