JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

This is the autobiographical film about Margaret Keane directed by Tim Burton. Let's hope Tim doesn't leave out Margaret becoming one of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is a pivotal moment in her career and a major reason why her paintings took on a happier, brighter style.

When the Yuba City Assembly Hall underwent a large renovation Margaret painted and donated two original paintings. Both of them depict the wonderful blessings of God's kingdom. :)

This one hangs to the left side of the podium; left of the baptismal pool.

5409561462_06d23a13a8_z.jpg

The other hangs to the right of the podium as these wonderful Hmong sisters can attest.

5547409788_2e533f4b83_z.jpg

Edited by SacramentoBrother

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Awake article July 8, 1975 pages 12-16 My Life as a Famous Artist

From Sad Eyes to Bright Eyes
Since my dedicating my life to Jehovah, there have been many changes in my life. One of the first was that I stopped smoking. I actually lost the desire and the need. This was a habit of twenty-two years, averaging a pack or more a day. I had tried desperately to break the habit because I knew it was harmful but had found it impossible. As my faith grew, the scripture at 2 Corinthians 7:1 proved to be the more powerful incentive. With the help of Jehovah through prayer and my believing his promise at Malachi 3:10, the habit was finally and completely broken. Amazingly, I had no withdrawal symptoms or any discomfort!
Other changes were deep psychological transformations in my personality. From a very shy, insecure, introverted and self-absorbed person who sought and needed long hours of solitude in which to paint and relax from my tensions, I became a much more gregarious, outgoing person. I now find myself spending many hours doing what I used to hate to do—talking to people—and loving every minute of it!
Another change has been that I spend only about a fourth of the time I formerly spent painting, and yet, amazingly, I accomplish almost the same amount of work. Too, sales and comments indicate that the paintings are getting even better. Painting used to be almost an obsession with me. I was driven to paint because it was my therapy, escape and relaxation—my life completely revolved around it. I still enjoy it immensely, but the addiction to it and dependency on it are gone. Since my growing in knowledge of Jehovah, the Source of all creativity, it is no wonder that the quality of my paintings has increased as the time of execution has decreased.
Now most of my former painting time is spent in God’s service, studying the Bible, teaching others and attending the five Bible study meetings at the Kingdom Hall each week. During the past two and a half years, eighteen people have started studying the Bible with me. Eight of these persons are now actively studying, one is ready to be baptized, and another has been baptized. From among their families and friends, thirteen more started studying with other Witnesses. It has been a great joy and privilege to have a part in helping others to come to know Jehovah.
It was not easy in the beginning to give up any of my cherished solitude, my own routine of life and a lot of my painting time, and put Jehovah’s will first, before anything else. But I was willing to try and, through prayer and relying on Jehovah’s help, I found that every step of the way was made easier and was rewarded. Proof of his approval and help almost overwhelmed me—not only in spiritual blessings but in many material ones as well.
As I look back on my life, my first oil painting, done when I was about eleven years old, now seems quite significant. It was two versions of the same little girl—the one in the background was sad, with tears in her eyes; the one in the foreground had bright smiling eyes. In the past, the symbolic large, sad eyes I painted mirrored the puzzling contradictions I saw in the world around me, and which raised in me so many questions. Now I have found in the Bible the reasons for the contradictions about life that once tormented me, as well as the answers to my questions.
After my gaining accurate knowledge of God and his purpose for mankind, it led me to the real security of having God’s approval and the inner peace and happiness that go with it. This is being reflected in my paintings to a degree that others even detect it. The sad, lost look of the large eyes is giving way now to a happier look. My husband even named one of my recent happy big-eyed children “The Eye Witness”!—Contributed.

This is only a small section of the article.

Edited by lynn

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

I noticed in the trailer for the movie posted above that it shows her in a Catholic Church talking to a priest in a confessional - do you think Tim Burton changed her religion or maybe it was an experience prior to her becoming a witness?

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

This certainly makes me more interested in seeing the movie.

me too. would be the 1st theater movie i have been interested in seeing in 15+ yrs,

due to hacker situation, think i will wait awhile...

appreciate the interview and pics, thank you :)

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening..." ~ Malachi 3:16

Ministry Ideaz had some pictures up between Sis Keane and Amy Adams from what looks like a panel discussion for the movie. In the close up pictures she is clearly wearing her JW.org pin.

Come join our service group singers......♫ Grant us boldness we witness....help us overcome our fear. ♫

After two failed marriages, one in which her abusive husband sold and took credit for her artwork, Margaret Keane became one of Jehovah's Witnesses. I haven't seen the movie. It should be fairly accurate since our Sister, Margaret, plays a cameo role. Neither of her first two husbands became Jehovah's Witnesses. Her first hand experience, My Life as a Famous Artist, appeared in the Awake Magazine of 07/08/1975. I don't know if this has already been stated in this forum. If so, kindly remove.

Yes, both Amy Adams and the fellow that plays her husband ( don't remember his name ) were interviewed on Kelly

and Michael. They were ( Kelly and Michael ) very both impressed with her story and what she had endured. The

two actors both praised Keen not only for her contributions to the project, but for her overall character. They said

she presented to both one of her characteristic "Big Eye" drawings, for which they were deeply impressed and grate-

ful. It will be interesting to see what this movie may lead to as opening up opportunities for witnessing. Clearly it is

now getting very high profile recognition.

GStorrs46

Ministry Ideaz had some pictures up between Sis Keane and Amy Adams from what looks like a panel discussion for the movie. In the close up pictures she is clearly wearing her JW.org pin.

Here's the picture! (I'm on mobile so I can't actually post it but here's the link): http://36.media.tumblr.com/943a99a6c05ae6b1f59555e6ce18bcae/tumblr_ngsshr2Iws1s865f6o1_1280.jpg

More links:

Wikipedia

Tribute

The Internet Movie Database

An interview with Amy Adams on YouTube

One of Sister Keane's paintings with a child holding a copy of My Book of Bible Stories

Margaret Keane has been the subject of interviews of The Guardian and The Vulture. See how she takes advantage of the opportunity to witness to the interviewers.

Edited by Eric_Milton

did anyone see this yet?

reviews appreciated! :flowers:

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening..." ~ Malachi 3:16