JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Ebola Spreading :

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3432 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Remember, there are different "strains" or mutations of this disease. Perhaps some are more contagious than others.

So, you are thinking the strain here in the US - is very NON-contagious and that's why none of these other people have it??

Then why is there such panic - BY SOME?

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

You can play what-if scenarios to infinity. But, looking at the relatively low numbers of witnesses infected in areas where the disease is considered uncontrolled. From a pure mathematical standpoint it demonstrates that even when faced with various strains, it's still slow moving when BASIC cleaning protocols are followed.

Following BASIC cleaning methods works. Period. I agree with Jerry's point.. Of all the people that got sick it was the one person who likely violated PPE protocol?. Not anyone else including his wife/girlfriend?

Getting whipped up into a frenzy over media coverage of this is fear mongering at its worst. The media did the same thing with bird flu, and other "diseases" in recent history and how has that turned out?

Come join our service group singers......♫ Grant us boldness we witness....help us overcome our fear. ♫

I understand the concern. The problem is that most colds or flu or even food poisoning have headaches and fever, many have coughing.

This will have everyone freaking out. I have asthma and everything I cough I have to hold up my inhaler because people start mumbling "ebola"...

I recently got off chemotherapy. My immune system is better than it was but will take another half year to be strong and I am not panicking.

Trust in Jehovah. Take reasonable precautions. Live our lives.

Interestingly it can take up to 21 days to start showing symptoms. These people may not be showing the symptoms yet... :wacko: They could be carriers, infecting those around them and not knowing until their fever spikes and theres a full blown epidemic in the U.S.....either way there isn't a whole lot that anyone can do except pray..And take usual precautions if you have a low immune system like me..

.If this hits my area the bleach and masks are coming out. Better to be safe than sorry. ^_^

Edited by cricket246

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

Concerns seem to be stacking based on the fact that there is so much uncertainty about Ebola.  Many scientists are admitting there just isn't enough scientific experimental research regarding the virus.  Even CDC is confused and Director is now stating it could or could not be airborne.  Apparently, it can be contracted by touching the surface an infected person has touched.  Seems what is making it fearfully disconcerting than most viruses is its mode of transmission.

It is often reported that Ebola isn't that contagious, yet we see medical staff in full hazmat suits.  We don't see doctors caring for AIDS or Measles patients in that manner. 

While Ebola's R0 rate is similar to that of Hepatitis C (which apparently has a rate of 2) and not as infectious as Measles, it's not the rate of contagiousness that is worrisome but rather if the infection does take place, there is no known cure other than the costly serum used to increase a person's immune system so the body can fight the infection.  And, as proven, the serum doesn't always work.  An Ebola outbreak in the U.S. can also only cripple even more so our already existing unstable healthcare system.

Edited by Mei

Even CDC is confused and Director is now stating it could or could not be airborne. 

I looked for a news article or a source stating that the CDC thinks it might be airborne, but couldn't find any. Would you mind sharing a link of where this is coming from?

This is the CDC site ( http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/index.html ) and I didn't seen anything there.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Mei

The doctors wear suits or full PPE (person protection equipment) because Ebola is transmitted via bodily fluids although there is some debate over the potential for airborne strains. All of fluids are what medical professionals are in contact with during medical care.

During the early 80s before more info was available about HIV/AIDS, it was standard procedure for medical professionals to suit up as well.

Come join our service group singers......♫ Grant us boldness we witness....help us overcome our fear. ♫

So not only have the CDC and WHO not "been forced to admit" that Ebola is now airborne, scientists believe that the possibility is exceedingly remote. 

Last updated:   9 October 2014 

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/medical/disease/ebolaairborne.asp#ryUPEc1o8zLAcbex.99

So calling it airborne by some is just another scare tactic?  :nope:  Let's not spread fear and panic - just truth, eh? 

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

Here is a article that gives some good info and few comments to show how it the nurse may have contracted it.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/13/health/ebola-cdc/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Essentially any hospital in the country can safely take care of Ebola. You don't need a special hospital to do it," Dr. Thomas Frieden said Sunday at a press conference.

"I think it's very unfortunate that he keeps re-stating that," said Macgregor-Skinner, the global projects manager for the Elizabeth R. Griffin Foundation.

He said when it comes to handling Ebola, not all hospitals are created equally. As seen at Presbyterian, using protective gear can be tricky. Plus, it's a challenge to handle infectious waste from Ebola patients, such as hospital gowns contaminated with blood or vomit.

Taking care of Ebola patients is tricky, because certain procedures might put doctors and nurses in contact with the patient's infectious bodily fluids.

At Sunday's press conference, Frieden hinted that Presbyterian might have performed two measures -- inserting a breathing tube and giving kidney dialysis -- that were unlikely to help Duncan. He described them as a "desperate measure" to save his life.

the CDC should have realized that putting on and taking off protective gear is often done imperfectly and one of the workers might get an infection

here is another good article about how ebola spreads:

http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debate/2014/10/13/read-this-to-get-a-better-understanding-of-how-ebola-spreads/

No virus that causes disease in humans has ever been known to mutate to change its mode of transmission. This means it is highly unlikely that Ebola has mutated to become airborne. It is, however, droplet-borne — and the distinction between the two is crucial.

Doctors mean something different from the public when they talk about a disease being airborne. To them, it means that the disease-causing germs are so small they can live dry, floating in the air for extended periods, thus capable of traveling from person to person at a distance. When inhaled, airborne germs make their way deep into the lungs.

Chickenpox, measles and tuberculosis are airborne diseases. Droplets of mucus and other secretions from the nose, mouth and respiratory tract transmit other diseases, including influenza and smallpox.

When someone coughs, sneezes or, in the case of Ebola, vomits, he releases a spray of secretions into the air. This makes the infection droplet-borne.  Some hospital procedures, like placing a breathing tube down a patient’s air passage to help him breathe, may do the same thing.

Droplet-borne germs can travel in these secretions to infect someone a few feet away, often through the eyes, nose or mouth. This may not seem like an important difference, but it has a big impact on how easily a germ spreads. Airborne diseases are far more transmittable than droplet-borne ones

For Ebola Zaire to become airborne in humans, it would need to cause lung disease significant enough to release lots of virus into respiratory secretions. The virus would then need to survive outside the body, dried and in sunlight for a prolonged time. And it would need to be able to infect another person more than a couple feet away.

There’s no evidence from previous epidemics or laboratory experiments that Ebola Zaire behaves in this way. Although the virus is mutating as the Ebola epidemic continues to grow in West Africa, it has multiple hurdles to overcome in order to become airborne.

As we rule out Ebola being airborne, the droplet-borne risk of Ebola must be addressed. Most important, those on the frontlines—especially nurses and doctors—should be provided with the necessary training and personal protective equipment to ensure that there are no more transmissions within hospitals.

Edited by ava

Mei said: "Even CDC is confused and Director is now stating it could or could not be airborne."
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jerry said: "I looked for a news article or a source stating that the CDC thinks it might be airborne, but couldn't find any  Would you mind sharing a link of where this is coming from?"
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Good evening, Jerry!

Excerpt:
"The Ebola virus becoming airborne is a possible but unlikely outcome in the current epidemic, Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Director Tom Frieden said Tuesday."

Here is the link: http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/220046-cdc-airborne-ebola-possible-but-unlikely

Edited by Mei

Mei said: "Even CDC is confused and Director is now stating it could or could not be airborne."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jerry said: "I looked for a news article or a source stating that the CDC thinks it might be airborne, but couldn't find any  Would you mind sharing a link of where this is coming from?"

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Good evening, Jerry!

Excerpt:

"The Ebola virus becoming airborne is a possible but unlikely outcome in the current epidemic, Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Director Tom Frieden said Tuesday."

Here is the link: http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/220046-cdc-airborne-ebola-possible-but-unlikely

From the same article:

We have so many problems with Ebola, let’s not make another one that, of course, is theoretically possible but is pretty way down on the list of likely issues," infectious diseases expert William Schaffner of Vanderbilt University told Scientific American

No need to panic.  A society in a panic is not a good thing.

Ava said: "No need to panic.  A society in a panic is not a good thing."

Hello Eva!

I don't know if anyone is really panicking here.  My comments made are based on reasons why it seems so many people are seriously concerned about the spread. . . that even scientists, including the CDC's director, are confused about whether or not Ebola can be airborne.  Downplaying it may not be a good idea either.  Even the Scientific American link you posted states: "Right now we have few answers about this Ebola strain," which was also a point of mine in asserting there is so much uncertainly even by scientists as to the spread of Ebola.  I do recall also reading a scientific study that made assertions of one of the strains found in Zaire or Reston that spread by animals from cage to cage with no direct contact.     :)

Perhaps some of my statements are being misconstrued.  Considering I do travel to Dallas and am one of the ones concerned, but am certainly not panicking.  One person dying from Ebola is one too many. 

May Jehovah clear us from this mess soon. 

Edited by Mei

I don't know if anyone is really panicking here.  My comments made are based on reasons why it seems so many people are seriously concerned about the spread. . . that even scientists, including the CDC's director, are confused about whether or not Ebola can be airborne. 

They are confused over the possibility that it could ever mutate into being airborne at all. If it could, theoretically, that sort of mutation would occur over the course of many months or years, not the few weeks since the first US patient was admitted to the hospital.

Unfortunately, certain "media" outlets, and many emails and facebook posts, are falsely and maliciously reporting that the CDC says Ebola is "already airborne". In turn, many are becoming truly panicked over this situation, often bringing harm to themselves in the process.

Ava said: "No need to panic.  A society in a panic is not a good thing."

Hello Eva!

I don't know if anyone is really panicking here.  My comments made are based on reasons why it seems so many people are seriously concerned about the spread. . . that even scientists, including the CDC's director, are confused about whether or not Ebola can be airborne.  Downplaying it may not be a good idea either.  Even the Scientific American link you posted states: "Right now we have few answers about this Ebola strain," which was also a point of mine in asserting there is so much uncertainly even by scientists as to the spread of Ebola.  I do recall also reading a scientific study that made assertions of one of the strains found in Zaire or Reston that spread by animals from cage to cage with no direct contact.     :)

Perhaps some of my statements are being misconstrued.  Considering I do travel to Dallas and am one of the ones concerned, but am certainly not panicking.  One person dying from Ebola is one too many. 

May Jehovah clear us from this mess soon. 

My comment about not panicking was not directed towards you, it was a general statement to all, that there is no need to panic especially this early.

And I am certainly not downplaying this situation as Ebola is a scary thing.  My husband works for American Airlines, and is constantly in and out of the planes, touching people's luggage, seats they sat on,  etc. He works in Terminal D at DFW Airport, that is the International Terminal.  All the flights/planes he works on are from other countries, including Africa.  So yes, Ebola is a concern for me considering my husband's job.

Right now though we have to go by the facts.  There is so much misinformation going around right now about Ebola, and it's best to go with the facts.

I live near Dallas, Arlington TX a short drive from Dallas, and yes, people in my area are starting to panic. Not all are panicking, but it's starting.  

In the end, even if Ebola can be spread airborne, there is nothing any of us can really do about it.  We live in this world, work in this world, etc.  We can't shut ourselves off from society.  People can die from the flu, measles, chicken pox, etc.  There are so many things that can kill us in this world.  It's just a sad fact of Satan's system.  There is just no point in any of us (and I am not saying this about you) to freak out about Ebola or worry about it constantly at this time or any time for that matter.  

Edited by ava

So, you are thinking the strain here in the US - is very NON-contagious and that's why none of these other people have it??

Then why is there such panic - BY SOME?

I didn't say "NON contagious", I said "less contagious" in the ways and means it is passed on. (Didn't I?)

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

I didn't say "NON contagious", I said "less contagious" in the ways and means it is passed on. (Didn't I?)

Got it. Your saying - you feel this is a lowly contagious strain.

Soon .....

Got it. Your saying - you feel this is a lowly contagious strain.

Yes, not as contagious as the strain in West Africa that is spreading like wildfire. Perhaps we wash our hands more over here too which helps prevent the spread (we have greater access to soap, water and bleach).

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

It is like catching HIV, except for the symptoms because with HIV you do not have the flu symptoms where sneezing and coughing and running nose with fever are the first symptoms. HIV is harder to catch than Ebola, and there are now medications for the HIV but nothing for the Ebola that is for sure, and it causes a relatively fast death in most cases. It isn't the only thing going around either, the Enterovirus is killing children this year, and there has been a case of menengitis in the high school that has killed a person and parents are very stressed with their children getting sick from one of these. I hope for the end of this "sick" world to come soon...

CDC says the ebola will increase and spread to up to 10,000 people per week.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-15/ebola-cases-could-reach-up-to-ten-thousand-a-week-says-who/5814138

And so you don't think this means IN DALLAS - here is the full quote - about WEST AFRICA.

The World Health Organisation is warning the number of people being infected with Ebola in West Africa could reach up to 10,000 a week by the end of the year.

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

Oh great, I can see it now tomorrow at work everyone will be saying:

"OMG the CDC said that in Dallas Ebola will spread to 10,000 a week by the end of the year"

Not trying to make a joke about Ebola or make light of the situation, but the things I am already hearing at work are way over the top.  I am aware of ones stocking up on bullets, can goods, bottled water as they believe Ebola will cause martial law or something.

Yes it is W. Africa it did not say that this is the figures for the rest of the world, that is a huge amount of precious lives lost. They are being extremely proactive here in the US (except for the issue with turning away the first patient) I know today there were some state representatives requesting the senate to temporarily create travel restrictions until this is under control in Africa though because they feel that others will contract it. On the news it stated that the virus is EXTREMELY easy to get with just skin contact of a person with it can give it to you...that is different than what they originally said. That was ABC News tonight.