JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

BMI - no not the airline....

But the Body Mass Index.

I got weighed today and am 77.6 Kg (171pounds, or 12 st 3lb) ) and my height is 176 cm (5ft 9in) which makes my BMI 25. I am now a healthy weight for my height (just!).

I worked hard and long reducing my weight from 102 Kg (224 pounds or 16 st) when I was obese. I will be overweight tomorrow, as my weight will fluctuate a little for a few day, but the trend is in the right direction.

My diet? Smaller portions of potatoes, rice or pasta, larger portions of vegetables and plenty of fruit. No faddy diets, trained my stomach to expect less, and slowly reduced the size of the entire dinner. Now I eat less, but am satisfied.

I am happy that you've made so much progress on the health front and it sounds like you're doing it right. However, please don't get caught up in your BMI, It's a pile of bunk. Someone who is very muscular will register as overweight or obese using BMI because muscle is heavier than fat. Weight is just a number, get yourself to a state where you can do the things you want to do and it's all good.

I am happy that you've made so much progress on the health front and it sounds like you're doing it right. However, please don't get caught up in your BMI, It's a pile of bunk. Someone who is very muscular will register as overweight or obese using BMI because muscle is heavier than fat. Weight is just a number, get yourself to a state where you can do the things you want to do and it's all good.

Yep, I agree. I've always had a weight gain problem. Now I'm down 20 pounds but am always considered 'heavy'. But if you touch me I'm muscle. So my scale weight is heavier. But I understand your thought process Christopher. Many of us try to do right in regard to food and weight. But this world has some wacky ideas on how to loose weight, how much to loose, what's acceptable weight and the ridiculous food pyramid the US has that it promotes in our schools. I once got down to a size 10 (small for me) but to maintain that weight I monitored everything I ate and was always starving. And I'm a workaholic, so not a sedentary person.

I just long for perfection so I can get normalized. I get weary always thinking about it. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

I lost 20 lbs since April, would like to lose another 20, then will be at weight I was 15 yeas ago before 1st heart attack and meds. Medications really can pack the weight on.

You are right there! I take 26 tablets a day for my cholesterol, diabetes and heart problems. 3 heart attacks and now heart failure means I can do little exercise, I am mostly sedentary, even a little walking leaves me breathless, so reducing my weight was both necessary and solely dietary.

Was size UK16/18 now am UK 8/10

What a great way of fitting into a smaller size.

Hartley

It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step :- Jer10:23.

Not a day goes by wherein the truth of this scripture is not reaffirmed

Meds do affect the weight coming off. I'm on heart stuff too so it makes my metabolism slower- agony! So even when I'm active-most of the time- it still is a struggle. 

Nice to know I'm not alone. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

I take your point. I have to say, though, that the last word anyone would use to describe me is "muscular"! So I don't think I have to worry too much on that score about my BMI. :D

Funny, when I saw the thread title I did not even know there was an airline that used BMI for their identification. I thought BMI was for Broadcast Music, Inc (www.bmi.com) - the people who help regulate the music industry.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

• 3 weeks later...

I was on verge of flunking dot physical, they told me to take couple days and get my bp down. In three days I just ate a salad and 1 pork chop but I sent lemon water thru me like crazy. My numbers went from 165/95 to 108/68 in three days. No salt no sugar and I have energy like a 25 year old.