JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Soup, wonderful soup

It's on into fall here in our part of the world. In the fall I generally need to eat lighter and do a bit of a cleanse. But eating light does not mean less flavor or few ingredients. This is a soup I'm making today (have had bad stomach for 3 days now) and it's full of flavor and veg. I'm not a fan of frozen green beans so I'll add fresh steamed. And omit the hot sauce till tummy settles down. At only 128 calories and 1 gram of fat per serving it's great!

By Kelly Osbourne

rbk-kelly-osbourne-soup-0913-4-lgn-64828

Spicy country-vegetable soup

The hot sauce gives this veggie soup a spicy kick.

Ingredients:

6 cups vegetable broth or 6 cups water

3 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped, 1 1/2 cups (you can also use canned)

2 medium carrots, thinly sliced (1 cup)

1 medium onion, thinly sliced

1/2 medium bell pepper, thinly sliced

1 (10 ounce) package frozen cut green beans

1 (6 ounce) canned tomato paste

2 cups fresh broccoli florets

2 cups cauliflower florets, bite-sized pieces

1 cup frozen whole kernel corn

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon white pepper

1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (optional)

In a 6-quart pot, combine all the ingredients and place over medium heat. Cover and cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Makes six 1-cup servings. Each serving: 128 cal, 1 g fat.

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Yes lets!!

I found several in Cooking Light and Redbook Recipies. There's at least 5 I copied into my Notebook, they're all ones you can eat all day and they cleanse and help loose weight while maintain blood sugar. I have to modify it for my taste- can't eat mushrooms or cooked onion anymore- but can add zucchini! And I found using organic canned tomatoes makes a HUGE difference! I never believed it until I tried it myself. 

Here's #1- 

It's easy and works for 4 simple reasons

• It's short term - just four days
  • Convenience- once you make the soup in advance- it's always ready
  • No choices- that keeps me on track
  • Healthy,  filling and tasty- full of vegetables and beans
  • It helps stabilize your blood sugar to eliminate cravings

Also , Since I haven't been starving myself or eating restrictive foods, I'm able to maintain the weight loss once I go back to my regular healthy eating habits.

Can't do it for 4 days? Even 2 days can help you detox some of the bloat

The other good part is there is no steadfast recipe. You can substitute any non starchy vegetable or bean in your recipe. Don't like kidney beans? Add black beans. I added spinach to my 2nd pot of soup and my daughter in law Wendy added string beans to a soup she made.

* Do not add potatoes, butternut squash, or sweet potatoes if you want to lose weight.

Ingredients:

1/2 cabbage, chopped

1 28 ounce can of organic only chopped tomatoes ( or 6 fresh chopped fresh tomatoes)

1/2 cup organic only tomato paste if you like a richer tomato flavor ( I didn't)

1/2 bag of dry uncooked lentils, washed

2 cups of cooked kidney beans ( or 1organic can )

4 carrots , sliced

1 large red pepper, chopped

1 package of sliced mushrooms, or any dried mushrooms

1 onion chopped

4 cloves garlic, pressed

salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste ( I also added 21 Salute salt free seasoning from Trader Joes) 

20 cups filtered water

a few sprigs of fresh basil

a few shakes of ground hot pepper ( optional)

Easy Directions:

Put everything into the slow cooker on high for 3 hours and then  change to low for another two hours if the lentils are not soft enough OR put in a regular large stock pot , bring to a boil, turn down heat and cook until everything is soft ( 2 hours ?)

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Soup really is good food! It's so comforting and filling and nutrious sometimes even for pennies a bowl. Fall is an excellent time to detox, Cheryl your recipe looks very healthy and tasty. I would love to try! Hey, in fact, it looks similar to the most delicious soup I love. Found it in Woman's World but renamed it my cancer fighting soup because the ingredients grab whatever cancer may be in the body and flushes it right out. (Also if I may say, you will make a #2 soon after it works so well.)

2 tsp. olive oil

1 ¼ lbs lean ground beef, turkey or shredded chicken

1 onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, chopped

1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped

8 oz. mushrooms, chopped

1 (14 oz.) can crushed tomatoes

1 (32 oz.) bottle reduced-sodium tomato or vegetable cocktail juice

1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice

1 (14 oz.) can black, navy or pinto beans, rinsed and drained

1 Tbs. ground cumin

1/8 tsp. cayenne, or to taste

¼ cup each fresh cilantro and parsley, chopped

1.In stockpot, heat olive oil over medium-high setting. Sauté meat/poultry until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.

2.Sauté onion, garlic, peppers and mushrooms until soft, about 5 minutes.

3.Stir in remaining ingredients, except cilantro and parsley. Cover and simmer 20 minutes. Stir in cilantro and parsley.

4.Cover; simmer 10 minutes longer. Store soup in refrigerator up to 5 days. Freezes well. Make 12-14 cups. 1 serving = 3 cups.

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be pleasing to you, O Jehovah, my Rock and my Redeemer."

i very recently bought my ingredients to make potato bacon soup. it's only one of two i've ever made. i really need my big pot (it's in storage) as i don't follow a recipe, i eyeball the whole thing. i can just eat it all day, but it's gotta be cold outside, just can't eat soup when the weather is warm.

what i can tell you about the recipe is:

1 large box of swanson's chicken stock

1 quart heavy cream

1 lb thick sliced bacon (i use kroger store brand but try different ones for flavor)

1 to 1 1/2 large sweet onion (vidalia)

1 stick sweet cream butter

very finely chopped parsley to taste

salt and pepper to taste

a good 3 lbs of russet potatoes (maybe more?)

In skillet, fry bacon til crisp. Drain on paper towel. Cut into bits.

Use a bit of the grease to carmelize slivered onion. 

Pour chicken stock and heavy cream together in deep pot. Add stick of butter.

Peel and dice potatoes. In separate pot, boil potatoes until firm, don't over boil. Drain.

Add potatoes to stock, mash a few to use as a type of thickener.

Stir and let flavors come together.

Add bacon and parsley to soup mixture.

Salt and pepper to taste.

That's how I seem to recall the steps and ingredients. Make it your way and just enjoy!

There is a soup place in NYC that makes about 20-25 different soups daily. They claim you could eat there for daily for three months and not eat the same soup each time. I've been inspired to try to make a version of many of their soups.

Here is one of my favorite butternut squash soup recipes. This one is on the spicy side.

1 (2 lb) butternut squash, peeled and cut into pieces

3 Tbsp unsalted butter

1 onion, diced

1 shallot, minced

1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped

2 tsp grated fresh gingerroot

1 Tbsp curry powder

1 tsp salt

1 tsp brown sugar

2 cups vegetable broth

1/2 can coconut milk

Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).  Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.

Roast cut squash in oven until very soft (approx 45 minutes).

Melt a tablespoon of butter and saute chopped onion and shallot.  Add ginger, curry powder, brown sugar, and salt.  Cook for an additional minute.

Add in vegetable broth and bring to a boil.  Stir in apple and squash and simmer til the apples are soft (approx 20 minutes).

Puree soup using a blender or immersion blender until smooth.

Finish by adding in coconut milk and 2 Tbsp of butter.

Come join our service group singers......♫ Grant us boldness we witness....help us overcome our fear. ♫

You know what makes me feel all warm and cozy when I'm sick? It's the soup you get at Japanese places - most of the time its called "clear sou" because it's a wonderfully delicious broth with thinly sliced mushrooms floating in it and maybe some tempura batter crumbs. Does anyone have a recipe for a soup like that?

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

You know what makes me feel all warm and cozy when I'm sick? It's the soup you get at Japanese places - most of the time its called "clear sou" because it's a wonderfully delicious broth with thinly sliced mushrooms floating in it and maybe some tempura batter crumbs. Does anyone have a recipe for a soup like that?

Oh man, I just found this one today and since my stomach is bad, it, above many others, sounded soothing. I think I would use the asian mushrooms because I can't get the regular ones past my lips, throwing up isn't one of my fun things to do. I'll post this one too B.

Salmon Chowder with Leeks

051127015-02-smoked-salmon-leek-chowder-

• 3 Tbs. unsalted butter
  • 2 medium leeks, white and light green parts only, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced, and rinsed well (about 1 cup)
  • 1 large rib celery, thinly sliced (about 1/3 cup)
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 2 8-oz. bottles clam juice
  • 3 small red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 2-1/2 cups)
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 6 oz. hot-smoked salmon, skin and bones removed, flaked into bite-size pieces (about 1-1/4 cups)
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream- (to lighten up use low fat cream cheese)
  • 2 Tbs. chopped fresh dill
  • 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Melt the butter in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the leeks and celery, and cook, stirring, until tender, about 6 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring for 1 minute.

Slowly whisk in the milk and clam juice, and bring to a simmer. Add the potatoes and bay leaf, and simmer gently until the potatoes are tender, about 12 minutes.

Add the salmon, cream, dill, and lemon juice, and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper, and serve.

Here you go again B, I found this in Cooking Light.

Hot and Sour Soup

IMG_5073.JPG

1 oz. dried mixed mushrooms

8 cups water

3 tablespoons sherry cooking wine

1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

2 tablespoons soy sauce

1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt

1 tablespoon grated ginger 

1 pound extra firm tofu, cut into 1/2 inch cubes

2 tablespoons cornstarch

2 eggs, lightly beaten

6 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced

1/4 teaspoon white pepper 

Pure sesame oil, for serving

Place the dried mushrooms in a bowl and cover with 2 cups of boiling water. Cover and allow to sit for at least 1/2 hour. While mushrooms reconstitute, prepare the other ingredients.

Remove the mushrooms from the hot water and reserve the liquid for the soup. Slice the mushrooms thinly.

In a soup pot, combine the remaining 6 cups of water with the reserved liquid from the mushrooms and the sliced mushrooms. Bring to a gentle boil over medium-high heat. Add the sherry, vinegar, soy sauce, salt, ginger and tofu. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes.

In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch with about 3/4 cup of hot broth from the soup pot until cornstarch is dissolved. Pour the mixture back into the soup pot, stirring to distribute. The soup should thicken slightly. While stirring constantly, drizzle the beaten eggs into the hot soup. Add the scallions and white pepper and cook for another minute or two.

Serve hot with a drizzle of sesame oil on top.

Edited by bagwell1987

Ok Tammi, Wendy and Venus- I now have 3 new ones to add to my OneNote file of Soups. I can never get enough recipes for soup. If I have soup I have all three meals. And breakfast is my most important. If I don't take a thermos of soup I'll get so hungry and eat something fast and awful. I have a red Stanley Thermos that is my BFF 7 months a year!

Oh man, Thanks Cheryl - I love hot and sour soup too but it's basically a Chinese soup and I will print out the recipe but the soup I'm looking for is Japanese. It's called "clear soup" here because the broth is basically clear (not cloudly) and it barely has any other ingredients in it. It's so great when you are dead sick!

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

Oh man, Thanks Cheryl - I love hot and sour soup too but it's basically a Chinese soup and I will print out the recipe but the soup I'm looking for is Japanese. It's called "clear soup" here because the broth is basically clear (not cloudly) and it barely has any other ingredients in it. It's so great when you are dead sick!

It's miso soup. You can make simply by mixing white miso with water ( or vegetable stock, just watch the salt content). Some places add a little tofu and seaweed. All items can be found at an Asian market.

Keep in mind there are different types of miso, distinguished by color. White is the mildest.

Edited by MzT

Come join our service group singers......♫ Grant us boldness we witness....help us overcome our fear. ♫

Here is a recipe if you prefer:

Simple Restaurant Miso

This miso soup is a close approximation of what you get in most cheap western Japanese restaurants. All ingredients are to taste; the primary thing is the ratio of miso to dashi.

Ingredients

Dashi (roughly 250ml or 1 cup per person for a typical restaurant portion)

Wakame, 5 or so pieces per person (Wakame is a form of edible seaweed, sold in dry curls at most Asian markets)

Traditional tofu (medium firmness), a few one centimeter cubes per person

Miso paste, either white, red, or a mixture (many restaurants in western Canada use white miso, also called shiro miso)

Procedure

Heat the dashi to a light simmer

While this is heating, lay out your bowls and place the wakame and tofu in the bottom

When the dashi simmers, take a ladle or so of liquid aside and mix into it approximately 1 tablespoon (about 15ml) of miso paste per cup of dashi stock

Remove the pot of dashi from the stove and stir the miso prepared above into it

Ladle some of the prepared miso into the bowls and serve

Notes

Some prefer less miso, some prefer more. The quantity given results in the moderately-salty type popular in restaurants before meals.

Do not permit the miso to boil; doing so alters the flavour

Tammi, that's wonderful. I love brothy soups, just put it in a cup and go. I'll be making this one. We don't have Asian stores here but most things can be bought over the internet anymore, will give that a try.

• 1 month later...

Editor’s note: This soup might not look like it has chunks in it, but it does. We promise. And they are good.)

1486613547fc03ae92278f097bed8aa9d02fa1e0

Red Pepper and Cauliflower Chowder

Serves 3

For the soup:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 red pepper, cored and diced
1 potato, peeled and diced
2 cups cauliflower, chopped
2 cups vegetable stock
1 cup milk (get some fat in there; I’m a staunch skim milker and even I sprung for 2%)
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon cumin

For serving:

Freshly grated Parmesan
Freshly ground pepper

1. Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and red pepper, cooking down until the pepper is softened, 8 to 10 minutes.
  2. Add potato, cauliflower, stock, milk, bay leaf, salt, and spices. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer, cooking for 10 to 15 minutes or until the potato and cauliflower are softened. Stir occasionally, and mash the chunks a little with the back of your wooden spoon.
  3. Ladle about 2/3 of the vegetable chunks and a little bit of broth into a blender and blend until smooth. Be careful! This is hot! Duh. Return the blended soup to the pot and stir into the mix until combined, heating through again if it needs it.
  4. Serve the soup with a hit of black pepper and a pinch of Parmesan on top.

I just found this soup recipe and wanted to share...actually I will be making this delicious soup soon. I love soup it is really good food!

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be pleasing to you, O Jehovah, my Rock and my Redeemer."

Now you all got my mouth watering for some soup, and I am off to make some of the one Sister Venus spoke of. I will be trying out some of the others too!

Thanks all!

Edited by loving life

Proverbs 27:11- Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, So that I can make a reply to him that taunts me.

Here's what I made. I threw in 8 oz. fresh ground pork sausage and 1/2 cup barley- it's still under 200 calories a big bowl full. And I used asparagus and omitted the beans, just to keep the calorie count balanced. 

Tuscan Veg.

1 (15-ounce) can low-sodium canellini beans, drained and rinsed

1 tablespoon olive oil

1/2 large onion, diced (about 1 cup)

2 carrots, diced (about 1/2 cup)

2 stalks celery, diced, (about 1/2 cup)

1 small zucchini, diced (about 1 1/2 cups) or asparagus

1 clove garlic, minced

1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves (or 1 teaspoon dried)

2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage leaves (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

32 ounces low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth

1 (14.5-ounce) can no salt added diced tomatoes

2 cups chopped baby spinach leaves

1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan, optional

Oh my Cheryl I just finished the last batch of a modified version of your above soup/post! I love the way Jehovah gives us delicious things to eat that also keeps us heatlhy and for pennies a meal! This winter, I am determined NOT to gain weight, but all you want to do is relax and keep warm and toasty. By three pm it's going to be 20* here in the south!!

I put together a 16 bean soup I had just about a 1/3 of the bag left. I added about half that in black beans to give it a chili look. At the last moment (about an hour into the beans crock pot cooking) I added a cup of barley, mild salsa that I noticed in the cubbard and then all sorts of seasonings,  whatever my mind told me woud taste delicious and it DID! It was so scrumptous I had three servings in one sitting and was happily stuffed for just pennies. I would like to try a nice winter chili with no meat but has a meat  look and taste.

I have a no bean chili put out by the proponents of 40-30-30 if you'd like as well as a KILLER taco soup- Lew really loves it! I use their recipes as well as Cooking Light and Weight Watchers.

I had taco salad for dinner, oh man was it good. I'm not supposed to eat lettuce, but I hope I can get away with it just for tonight. We'll find out by tomorrow.  

I just PM a new one for you from MyFitnessPal.

Edited by bagwell1987