JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Wow supermodel is our Sister.

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3463 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Here is the article. She grew up in or near Richmond BC I think. Very nicely done article. Not everyone that is involved in this world as much as this sister has been can stay in the truth. Good for her.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2263340/Supermodel-Coco-Rocha-opens-life-devout-Jehovahs-Witness--preaches-door-door.html#ixzz37TW18iJ2

Edited by Greg Dent

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

That article is an old one and I hope that Satan's system hasn't gotten to her. She is just another sister trying to cope in this sad twisted world.

It can't be easy being around the lifestyles she has to cope with.

Is. 41:10 " I will fortify you. I will really help you. I will really keep fast hold of you with my right hand of righteousness. "

Here is the article. She grew up in or near Richmond BC I think. Very nicely done article. Not everyone that is involved in this world as much as this sister has been can stay in the truth. Good for her.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2263340/Supermodel-Coco-Rocha-opens-life-devout-Jehovahs-Witness--preaches-door-door.html#ixzz37TW18iJ2

I agree, she seems to have a good balance.  I envy her in that.  

I wish I could stick with my career, but it threatens my relationship with Jehovah.  I can't disentangle myself from my selfish desire to have a name in the scientific community, and my selfish desire to be whole souled to Jehovah.  

I'm currently working at a local university, but I get consumed with my work and it becomes my sole focus.  I can't wait till I'm finally in the place where I should be, then there will be no struggle, and I'll have meaningful, interesting work for an eternity.  

I think there was a thread about her here before, a while back. But yeah I definitely agree with every post here. The fashion industry can be wrong and twisted on so many levels so I know she has to be super careful and prayerful.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, she seems to have a good balance.  I envy her in that.  

I wish I could stick with my career, but it threatens my relationship with Jehovah.  I can't disentangle myself from my selfish desire to have a name in the scientific community, and my selfish desire to be whole souled to Jehovah.  

I'm currently working at a local university, but I get consumed with my work and it becomes my sole focus.  I can't wait till I'm finally in the place where I should be, then there will be no struggle, and I'll have meaningful, interesting work for an eternity.  

Sister Sharon, its so hard isnt it?   When we lived out in a remote area I began a correspondence course in Maritime Business through a local university and absolutely loved it, passed the first four units easily (it helped that my worldly husband is a master mariner and all his friends are/were highly placed in the maritime world and I could call on them to explain the finer points that evaded me).  We moved back to the city and I found a job working for the govt, and was encouraged by workmates and worldly friends to keep going, and was really looking forward to beginning the next set of units when reality set in.  What on earth was I doing?   The two hours a day that I was studying - where would it lead me?  To a better paying job?   We already owned our house.  Kudos from the world?   Having qualifications doesn't impress Jehovah or the brothers and sisters, they are only interested in your spirituality.   The couple of hours each day that I was studying for an eventual degree should have been better spent studying the Bible and other publications.  It was so hard to hit that stop button, and it took several years before I finally reached the point where I could think about how much I enjoyed the course without my heart tugging me back to complete it.   Fifteen years on and I can still feel little twinges when I see something interesting in a magazine or on tv, or listen to my husband and his colleagues and friends chatting about their experiences at sea.   Instead I've focused on something better - and replaced the old dream with a new one - in the new world I'm going to drag my pet tiger along with me to study jellyfish or maybe fungi, or maybe both together, I find them both fascinating.   Keep praying Sharon, that pull of the world will become less and you will feel better about your decision.    Agape.

But, they (the world) can't see it.  Many years ago after leaving school, I didn't go to university due to the wise advice of the FDS, but instead studied a year at a technical college.  However, my headmistress lived "somewhere" in our territory, and I thought I'd give her house a miss and let someone else do it when we were doing her territory.  To my horror, I miscalculated and ended up on her doorstep.  Boy, did I cop it from her because I didn't go to university (she made us all squirm at school, and she still had that power over me).  I tried to explain that I loved my new career as a pioneer, but to no avail.

Oh well, looking back now I have no regrets.  All my worldly cousins have degrees and are well off.  But I am the happy one.

Sometimes it works to have a career fully in the world like the one our sister has as a model, but sometimes it's just not worth the chance of skating too near the thin ice.

Sheila! Your post hit me hard.

I too went to a university. I majored in Paralegal studies, worked for a while, enjoyed it. But it wasn't enough, so I began preparing for my law degree. Then like you, reality set in. What was I doing? I mean studying for a paralegal degree was hard what with deadlines, etc, But an actual law degree in itself?

So I gave it up and decided to just concentrate on the career of serving Jehovah with a fringe benefit of pioneering. True, there are times when I still feel a longing to go back I won't deny, especially when passing a law school. In the ministry one day we met a young lady who had just graduated...from law school. Hoo boy! I felt it, big time! Sometimes when in the business area I see lawyers, law students, and I feel it. Yet, I have no regrets somehow in making the decision to just serve Jehovah.