JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Severe Weather Alert: Tornadoes Coming in Swarms

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3475 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

http://newsdaily.com/2014/10/severe-weather-alert-u-s-study-finds-tornadoes-coming-in-swarms/

I thought this was interesting and scary since I live in the midwest. 

Looking at tornado activity over the past six decades, the study in the journal Science found the total number of tornadoes annually remaining rather steady, averaging 495. Since the 1970s, there have been fewer days with tornadoes but plenty more days with many of them, sometimes dozens or more.

excluding twisters below Category F1, with wind speeds of 73-112 mph (117-180 kph)

On the list of the 10 single days with the most tornadoes since 1954, eight have occurred since 1999, including five since 2011. That year alone had days with 115, 73, 53 and 52 twisters.

The average number of days annually with at least 20 tornadoes has more than doubled since the 1970s to upwards of five days per year in the past decade. For days with at least 30 tornadoes, there has been an average of three per year in the past decade, compared to 0.6 days per year in the 1970s.

Records for both the most and fewest tornadoes over a 12-month period have come in the past five years, with 1,050 from June 2010 to May 2011 and 236 tornadoes from May 2012 to April 2013. May is the month with the most tornado activity, followed by June and April.

I'm originally from Michigan and tornados terrify me. We had a big picture window in our living room and to see the clouds and strange colors in the clouds. That was enough for me. Grab a trash bag, pack my valuables and head to the storage space underneath the stairs. Yep. Oh, and don't forget to shake.

Miss the seasons there terribly!!! Winter being my absolute favorite---bring on the snow. :loopy:   I do my best to stay away from tornado areas (but this heat here is killin' me!)

I don't know how you do it Sis, nerves of steel?  :)   Just stay safe!!!

I'm originally from Michigan and tornados terrify me. We had a big picture window in our living room and to see the clouds and strange colors in the clouds. That was enough for me. Grab a trash bag, pack my valuables and head to the storage space underneath the stairs. Yep. Oh, and don't forget to shake.

Miss the seasons there terribly!!! Winter being my absolute favorite---bring on the snow. :loopy:   I do my best to stay away from tornado areas (but this heat here is killin' me!)

I don't know how you do it Sis, nerves of steel?  :)   Just stay safe!!!

Thanks Wendy, I was born and raised in California so when I first came out here with my 4 children, I thought we were all going to die because I was renting a trailer to live in out in the country. lol  I truly put bicycle helmets and riding helmets on my kids and tried to stuff them into mattresses so that if they blew away they might be safe. But instead I did what they tell you not to do and I loaded all the kids in the van when there was a storm and headed into town to the nearest brother and sister's house that was made out of logs. (true story)

Wendy ( great name by the way) ..... It must go with the name ( this heat is killing me) I too do not function well at all in the heat.

This is awesome! Now when I say "Wendy" here on the board, no one will know if I'm just talking to myself. So how do you pronounce yours---"When-dee" or like me, "Windy" ?

It's mid 90's now and here it is "fall"!!! I mean, really??? Can't stand it. I top out at about 70 degrees, pushing it 75 degrees. More than that is too much for me. Sad.

Pronounce it When-dee ..... Name came from the original Peter Pan n Wendy ......kinda dates me huh!!

Everyone tells me it suites me ! Stuck with it can't do much about it LOL.

Windy is fitting some days.......... just my good friends call me Wendal I think they think it's a term of endearment.

I know what you mean about the heat makes me down right owly !! Strange weather it was 21C today when we left the KH very strange weather indeed for this time of year.

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)