JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

"All Things New" EK Jonathan - book (SPOILERS)

I have been reading this book lately - http://www.allthingsnewnovel.blogspot.com/

It is free and written by a brother and I would like to highly recommend it.

Some one has actually taken the time to imagine the new world with the various things we understand currently and add in a few thoughts of what things might be like.

It is pretty well written - although I think he could use a really editor to find typos and that type of thing and perhaps make suggestions to really improve it to be an EXCELLENT written work. But that costs $$$ and this is FREE. And certainly beat out my expectations!

I would love to talk with others who have read it and get some thoughts, but not if it is at the expense of your doing your own Bible reading - as THAT is inspired by God and what we need. Where as, this is just for fun reading.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Yes, I read it and liked it also. It is good to keep in mind that if you don't agree with some of his ideas, he states from the beginning that it is just his imagination of how things might be or how things might happen, etc. We all have our thoughts about the GT and the new world and are all entitled to our ideas. This thread should not become a debate or a critique of the brother's ideas. We of course are free to give our own opinions. 

I loved this scene in one of the opening chapters where he is getting his first assignment and they are at a Wal-Mart or something and eating hot dogs from a grill that they went in and got as the store is now "open".

After a few paragraphs they talk about eating the "left-over" stuff from the "old world" and how when the spam finally ran out - no one missed it.

:lol1:

Good stuff. I hope there will be some stores left - maybe some with a little mountain dew still left  :drink:  :wave:  

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Is the narrator's wife named Stephanie or Emma?  I've seen both.  In the chapter about the shark, she's called Stephanie.  The very next chapter, she's Emma.  

Too funny - you make a good editor. All through the rest of the book he calls her Emma, but not there - OOPS. I bet his real wife's name is Stephanie  :yes: 

note: I did a search and those 2 times are the only use of the name Stephanie. 

Soon .....

The chapter - "Mark & Elise Raven" - chapter 12'ish

had this in it:

“The move upstate was definitely Jehovah’s direction. Brooklyn was a warzone at the peak of the Tribulation. I imagine that Bethel would’ve had to shut its doors much earlier if the headquarters had still been there in the city. Warwick managed to stay open up until the very end, up until the government came in and shut us down.

“They stopped the printing presses and cordoned off the shipping areas to prevent us from sending literature out, and harassed many of the Bethelites, even arresting some under charges of sedition and treason to overthrow the government.”

“Because of the Armageddon tract?” I asked.

“Yes.”

I recalled first seeing the tract when it was passed out at one of our home meetings during the Tribulation. The cover artwork had caused quite a stir: a mass of military troops carrying the nations’ flags, surrounded by a heavenly force of angels ready to strike. It had been the last worldwide preaching campaign of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

“How long was Bethel shut down?” I asked.

“Less than a month. The Great Day ended that.”

“And what was the reaction of the Bethel family?”

“We were happy, as everyone was, but we knew we had a lot of work to do. The friends needed spiritual food badly. So the brothers organized the Super Conventions and sent delegates from headquarters on foot, motorcycle, car, boat, or whatever else was available to all the branches around the world. The material had to be translated, then prepared, and invitations had to be given to every person on the planet.

“The result was a special five-day convention that took place during the same week worldwide, less than a year after Armageddon. It was the first time since before Adam and Eve sinned that every human on Earth was united in worshipping Jehovah.”

I can totally picture that!   :thumbsup:

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

Too funny - you make a good editor. All through the rest of the book he calls her Emma, but not there - OOPS. I bet his real wife's name is Stephanie   :yes:

note: I did a search and those 2 times are the only use of the name Stephanie. 

There were a few other typos I saw.  I thought later that I wish I had marked them in Moon Reader.  He could easily fix these issues for the electronic edition.  Funny how I can't see my own typos, however (shut up Musky).

10 years ago I would have said this story matched my idea of the Tribulation and Armageddon.  Now, not so much.  I don't think it's just my "ego" or my attitude that I have to be different from everyone else.  It's just my own personal observations about life, how I've felt about certain things over the years and my understanding (or lack thereof) of the related scriptures has caused me to rethink how I picture events unfolding.

Having said that, I've been impressed and pleased with a lot of this book.  I wonder how much research he did.  The location descriptions get rather detailed.  I also appreciate his balanced (in my opinion) concept of the New World.  Poison ivy will still itch, legs will still break.  People can still panic.  I've had a conversation (maybe more than one) with a sister who feels that we won't have any accidents or such things in the New System.

Poison ivy will still itch

This is the only thing that jumped out at me and caused me to think for a second. Poison Ivy only itches if you are allergic to it. Will perfect people have allergic reactions? I hope not. Had my first run in with Poison Ivy this summer, apparently, I am extremely allergic to it.

There were a few other typos I saw.  I thought later that I wish I had marked them in Moon Reader.  He could easily fix these issues for the electronic edition.  Funny how I can't see my own typos, however (shut up Musky).

10 years ago I would have said this story matched my idea of the Tribulation and Armageddon.  Now, not so much.  I don't think it's just my "ego" or my attitude that I have to be different from everyone else.  It's just my own personal observations about life, how I've felt about certain things over the years and my understanding (or lack thereof) of the related scriptures has caused me to rethink how I picture events unfolding.

Having said that, I've been impressed and pleased with a lot of this book.  I wonder how much research he did.  The location descriptions get rather detailed.  I also appreciate his balanced (in my opinion) concept of the New World.  Poison ivy will still itch, legs will still break.  People can still panic.  I've had a conversation (maybe more than one) with a sister who feels that we won't have any accidents or such things in the New System.

You should start your own book and share with us here...

:bouncing:

This is the only thing that jumped out at me and caused me to think for a second. Poison Ivy only itches if you are allergic to it. Will perfect people have allergic reactions? I hope not. Had my first run in with Poison Ivy this summer, apparently, I am extremely allergic to it.

I'm not poisonous... Hope you are not allergic to me!!  :o  :o

:bouncing:

Very good! Read this over two nights (after I did my daily :bible2: reading, Jerry) and it just fun to see how one person's idea of the Paradise plays out. Couple of things I really appreciated: 1) his own surprise that he made it through the GT, and reflecting on how he could have done better (as a spiritual head, etc.) in the "old world" and 2) the chapter dealing with the Welcome Center for resurrected ones - :cry: allergies were making my eyes water a bit during that section. Yes, it's one brother's imagination of how things may be, but we've been encouraged to visualize ourselves in the New World, and this book helped me do just that. Waiting for the reality!

Edited by disneytrav

• 6 months later...

I helped mom download the first one yesterday. She called today to say she finished it and loved it - especially the ending. She said it made her cry.

Please post when the next one is done and can be easily downloaded. She and I would like to read it.

Soon .....

I loved "Yeasa"'s healing (around page 118-119)

“But one thing that always grounded me was the feeling of touch. Whenever my dad or mom would hold my hand, wipe my face, or comb my hair, I could hold on to that moment and put it in my heart. It meant so much to me, being touched like that. It made my whole body warm, as if Jehovah himself were saying, ‘Yeasa, I forgive you.’ And that helped me to forgive myself. “

And then, one day, the fog cleared.

I was sitting there, looking out of a large window over a garden, in my wheelchair. My hands uncurled slowly and I ran them over the coarse plastic armrests. I felt the little bumpy stitches in the vinyl seat and the rubbery, grooved tires covered in dust. And then, a little unsteadily, I rose from the seat. A voice, as sweet as spring rain, washed over me from behind:

“’Yeasa!’

“I turned to face my parents, who stood there with open arms and tears in their eyes. And we hugged the greatest, warmest hug in the history of all hugs.”

And the part when they discuss the talk during the convention post HM... on page 199

One thing that helped was a talk from the Super Convention called Adam’s Descendants, not Adam’s Imitators . It reminded us that we, like Adam, had been given a task to carry out. That, just as in Adam’s day, we had to work towards a global Paradise one step at a time. I especially liked the point that one of Adam’s shortcomings was his desire for instant gratification, and that this took priority over the assignment he’d been given. The talk encouraged us to temporarily put aside our personal desires and work towards global restoration as a brotherhood.”

Nice idea.

Edited by Dages

I contacted Erik (the author) by e-mail, to ask for his permission to translate his works in French.

He accepted very kindly and may publish my version on his website.

I do it first for my family, my parents who are not really fluent in English. But, yeah, this will be a nice experience. I'm quite humbled by the task.

Edited by Dages

• trottigy changed the title to "All Things New" EK Jonathan - book (SPOILERS)