JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Watchtower Library App

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3409 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Chrome is also listed as an app that is available on the "play store" - so it is commercial. Does that mean I cannot use it to go to jw.org? And you will note - chrome says it is "more than just a browser". I am sure there is some add on available to DL pages for off-line viewing.

The logic just doesn't seem to work for me. Now, if they CHARGED a fee for it - I would totally agree. In fact, I know some are no longer using equipd for that very reason. Me, I am happy to wait for Matt and the branch to work something out. I see he stated "the status quo still holds" in reference to his discussions with the branch.  http://support.equipd.me/entries/53821345-The-Future-of-Equipd

But I appreciate your opinion. I am sure you are not alone.

Have you tried E-mailing Matt lately? I'm sure he will give you a very detailed updated truthful answer as to the immediate future of Equipd.

I'm trying hard to follow. I just received an Android tablet as a gift. Don't know how to find out what version it is. My head hasn't wrapped how to use it as I'm stuck in pc mode.

That aside, I had hoped I could get the WT cd-rom loaded on it somehow. I asked a brother in my hall and he tried but ultimately said he couldn't iSilo to work because it was too old. Couldn't tell you what that meant at all.

The only thought I have is that I wanted to have the whole disk on so that I can take my tablet anywhere at anytime and study to my hearts content without having to be online to access the library in it's current form online.

Now as I read and attempted to understand this thread, it is the desire of the brothers to just use the online library from our various media devices, unless something is released thru them to us if that happens?

Is there any a way to get the cd-rom on my tablet that won't violate anything? I'm not following completely. If I have it on my pc and want the same info on my tablet, what's the catch?

Sorry if I sound so in the dark---it's because I am. :)

Thanks for all the good feedback brothers.

I am not sure if Equipd or this WT App are in violation of TOU,

but here was my reason for asking about how

much memory it takes -  the downloading of certain categories here in this App.

In this App it appears you can download the entre

"Publication Index"

In this of course is where we go to either research a

"Subject" - Subject Index

or a

"Scripture" - Scripture Index

I use this all the time and I know many others do too

So I was thinking about this:

if this Index was downloaded on my Tablet,

here would be 2 great advantages!

1) Don't Need Internet nor 3G/4G - So I can research any subject and scripture anywhere & anytime!

At the KH or at a Park or wherever, even if there is no internet.

2) Faster - There is no sluggish internet delay, so I can research quicker and it is not as frustrating

as when my 3G is going Turtle speed  :scooter:

Eventually the JW Library App will likely do this.

But that could be next year or a further out project? (hopefully not, hopefully sooner but until then...)

I guess this would be similar to the App -  iSilo

I really like iSilo but I have difficulty trying to keep up with

where and how to download from them since they always seem to change how

we can access their files. So I haven't updated the iSilo files for a few years.

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

I am not sure if Equipd or this WT App are in violation of TOU,

Here is an extract from the equipd website:

The Future of Equipd (Updated Oct 22)

I appreciate that everybody wants clarity on this subject. However at this stage all I can offer is the following:

•Yes I am very aware of the updates to the Terms of Use.

•There is a reason that I have not offered any clarity on the future of Equipd yet.

•I have reached out to the official channels to get absolute clarity on this topic.

•I have every intention of doing Jehovah's will in this matter and following theocratic procedure - that has always been the case and nothing has changed.

I am sorry I have not been able to clearly communicate on this topic sooner. Can I encourage users to please be patient. I don't want to send mixed messages, make announcements that I have to retract, or confuse users. As mentioned, I am waiting for absolute clarity around the future of Equipd from the official channels. Once I have that clarity, then yes I will let you know.

http://support.equipd.me/entries/53821345-The-Future-of-Equipd

This app works on android and android only. Equipd works on apple only.

Isilo on the other hand works on both. And takes up a much smaller footprint AND gets you the entire CD - not just what is on the jw.org site.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

And how do you relate what your saying with this, posted on jw.org? ;)

http://www.jw.org/apps/E_nRYC?txtHelp=QBJrYBNQF#podcast

I'm with you on this. My personal feeling on the matter is that the new Terms of Use are overly broad and if strictly held would even prohibit their own RSS feed, because you would be using a non JW.org platform to view the content. Also the downloading of the publications for use in our e-reader apps would technically be prohibited too.

Overall I think the gist of it is that they only want us getting our stuff from the official source only. I think they're mostly trying to discourage all the "jw" type apps (bible, sing book, WT library) that are being released on the app stores.

Here is an extract from the equipd website:

The Future of Equipd (Updated Oct 22)

I appreciate that everybody wants clarity on this subject. However at this stage all I can offer is the following:

•Yes I am very aware of the updates to the Terms of Use.

•There is a reason that I have not offered any clarity on the future of Equipd yet.

•I have reached out to the official channels to get absolute clarity on this topic.

•I have every intention of doing Jehovah's will in this matter and following theocratic procedure - that has always been the case and nothing has changed.

I am sorry I have not been able to clearly communicate on this topic sooner. Can I encourage users to please be patient. I don't want to send mixed messages, make announcements that I have to retract, or confuse users. As mentioned, I am waiting for absolute clarity around the future of Equipd from the official channels. Once I have that clarity, then yes I will let you know.

http://support.equipd.me/entries/53821345-The-Future-of-Equipd

Just when you think it can't get any better   ..  https://www.facebook.com/equipd.me    ...   and if there was or is a problem with the Branch, I'm sure it would've been pulled Months ago - cause many, many (even  many in NY) know about this App !    

Imagine if the best of Equipd merges with the best of JW Library!   .... my guess, before the new calendar year / early 2015.

• 1 month later...

I don't know.  While I appreciate the use of legal terms to be used when necessary against those who would mislead and abuse the unwary, I haven't noticed that our organization has been strictly legalistic when it comes to folks just wanting to do something well.  Years ago, one CO's wife would get irritated at folks not using the offer in the KM, until she realized that folks were doing the best they could and that when you're not a CO's wife and have other responsibilities in this world, you may not be as perfect as you would like to be.  Indeed, she found that out herself when, if I remember the story correctly-so don't quote me- she got pregnant and they had to leave the circuit work.   

We're just trying to get a more streamlined form of access to spiritual food, you know, with the idea of gaining more and more knowledge of our God and his ways and instruction, right? 

There are laws against playing baseball in the street and are enforced when there may be danger.  But on seldom traveled roads, we used to play softball in the street my entire childhood and never had a problem.  Likewise, if there really isn't a problem with this app or that, my conscience is clear if I use it.  I don't even mind paying for some well done app.  The worker deserves is wage, right?  

On the other hand, when apostates or other misguided individuals want to take advantage and misuse, then the wording is in place to take appropriate action.  

Hey, that's just my take.  I'm no lawyer and I could be wrong. 

I don't know. While I appreciate the use of legal terms to be used when necessary against those who would mislead and abuse the unwary, I haven't noticed that our organization has been strictly legalistic when it comes to folks just wanting to do something well. Years ago, one CO's wife would get irritated at folks not using the offer in the KM, until she realized that folks were doing the best they could and that when you're not a CO's wife and have other responsibilities in this world, you may not be as perfect as you would like to be. Indeed, she found that out herself when, if I remember the story correctly-so don't quote me- she got pregnant and they had to leave the circuit work.

We're just trying to get a more streamlined form of access to spiritual food, you know, with the idea of gaining more and more knowledge of our God and his ways and instruction, right?

There are laws against playing baseball in the street and are enforced when there may be danger. But on seldom traveled roads, we used to play softball in the street my entire childhood and never had a problem. Likewise, if there really isn't a problem with this app or that, my conscience is clear if I use it. I don't even mind paying for some well done app. The worker deserves is wage, right?

On the other hand, when apostates or other misguided individuals want to take advantage and misuse, then the wording is in place to take appropriate action.

Hey, that's just my take. I'm no lawyer and I could be wrong.

I guess the problem is if one well intentioned app doesn't get sanctioned it is a precedent for not having an argument to prohibit any other...

Enviado do meu A1-810 através de Tapatalk

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)