JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Belief in God

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3458 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

All this shows me is that we need to be attentive of our brothers and sisters. We need to help those who may not be as strong and build up one another. It's not just enough to wave and say hello at meetings or chit chat about the football game. We need to encourage each other spiritually. 

Unless I'm reading the charts wrong, I think the data is hard to believe. Why would we be ranked fourth in belief in God? What Jehovah's Witness that was polled, would say "I am a Witness, but I don't believe in God?" If so, why are they a Witness? Being a JW is different from just attending church, it's hard to be a Witness (compared to other religions) much more is expected then just meeting attendance. Why would we be a Jehovah's Witness if we didn't believe in God?

Edited by Musky

Forgot a sentence

Here's the actual 2007 survey the graph comes from:

http://religions.pewforum.org/

The problem with these surveys is that everything is self-identified. So someone who has studied periodically for twenty years, but virtually never attends meetings and still clings to politics and false religious holidays, could identify as a JW and be counted as such on the survey.

The problem with these surveys is that everything is self-identified. So someone who has studied periodically for twenty years, but virtually never attends meetings and still clings to politics and false religious holidays, could identify as a JW and be counted as such on the survey.

The poll asked how certain are you that God exists. The graphs only shows those who said they are "absolutely certain" God exists, leaving out those who are "fairly certain" or less than that.

I can imagine people, like Witnesses' children, who consider themselves Witnesses, and yet are only "fairly certain" that Jehovah exists. That could explain that figure.

But what I find really funny is the 7% of atheists who are "absolutely certain" that God exists. They didn't say there might be a god, or who knows, they said they are absolutely certain he exists. Taking into account that atheist means 'someone who doesn't believe in any god', it's a complete contradiction.

Poll: What's your religion?

Answer: I don't believe in God.

Poll: Do you believe in God?

Answer: Yes, I am absolutely certain.

Poll: Are you nuts?

Answer: Yes, I am.

:shrugs:

Edited by cvillarrubia