JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Next word in series

i saw this on a UK tv show and thought it was very interesting.

You are given a series of words and have to provide the 4th word in the series, and WHY. So you cannot just guess a word, there has to be a logic to it. In the programme, after the first word, the next two are revealed as requested, but the solution offers a reducing points score as more words are shown.

Try this - I will give the first three words, and see if you can work out the 4th., but you must explain why you chose your answer.

Galaxy

Universe

Everything

?

( Respondents must not be residents of the UK or territories receiving their tv programmes. No cash alternatives are offered.)

Edited by bohemian

Nobody close as yet.

A bit of lateral thinking required here. There is a connection but it is not on the lines you are following.

The sequence is literary. (Big clue)

I don't normally like giving clues, but equally I don't want this to end up long and drawn out and ultimately frustrating. So don't panic.

Edited by bohemian

Ok an extra point to DanA who correctly identified the final words in the titles of Douglas Adams' books:

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Life, The Universe and Everything

And

Goodbye, And Thanks For All The Fish.

And a point for giving the next one

Mostly Harmless.

Is Mostly Harmless the next puzzle, or was that just an extra point for stating the fifth book title?

Is the content supposed to lean towards theocratic or is a casual topic okay, too?

Mostly Harmless was just the next title.

I think any sequence that is wholesome is appropriate. As long as there is a clear sequence to be unravelled, it would be OK. Theocratic would be a bonus.

The Douglas Adams books were not theocratic at all - he was an atheist, indeed Richard Dawkins dedicated one of his books to him!

Was he? I didn't know that. Was Slartibartfast supposed to be some weird misrepresentation of the Most High, in that case?

Anyhow, I'd like to give it a try if that's okay.

Alright. The next puzzle iiiiiss......

1.) H E E L

2.) _ _ _

3.) _ _ _ _ _

4.) ? ? ? ? ?

First tip: this is a theocratic puzzle

Extra tip: each dash or question mark represents a letter

EDIT: I had to change the word I'm looking for to one that fits into the sequence a little better, it now has five letters

Edited by ChocoboRider

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

ABYSS?

Thanks, finally somebody tried! Good answer, too.

But I was thinking of CHAIN

First, the promise of the seed to crush the serpent with the HEEL

Then war is waged from horseback with the BOW

Next, Jesus comes to judge the earth with the SWORD

And finally, he bins Satan with a CHAIN