JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Annual Meeting... in other languages

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3409 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Hello everyone!

Maybe some of You have a free time.

Could You write me an English subtitles of this part of annual meeting...:

(720p version)

1h 12min 11sec - brother John Chimiklis

1h 13min 18sec - sister Camila Rosam and next sister Edith Suiter

1h 13min 40sec - brother with glasses

1h 14min 32sec - voice of brother Shroeder

1h 15min 42sec - brother with glasses

1h 15min 53sec - again brother Chimiklis

Thank You in advance! 

You're right. Some parts are very hard to understand. This might get you started...

1h 12min 11sec - brother John Chimiklis

"Many times you'd knock on the door and set it up. Then they'd call at the doorstep... [unintelligible] ...didn't even know what was going on, you'd started playing the record."

1h 13min 18sec - sister Camila Rosam and next sister Edith Suiter

"Usually they'd read only a few lines and then they'd hand it back to you, so you'd have to finish the conversation."

"And you'd give it to them to read and then they'd turn it over. So sometimes we had to give it to them on the wrong side so they would turn it to read it on the right side."

1h 13min 40sec - brother with glasses

"Some people were a little short on funds, and so we would offer to trade. So many times out in the country they would trade you for maybe a dozen eggs for three or four booklets or something like that. Or if it was a book you might end up with a chicken or two. So when you went out in field service in the country you had to be prepared to pick up many different things. They'd usually probably bagged the chicken up so it was in a bag back in the trunk. It got a little warm for the poor thing but he survived it. And.. bring him home. And then after, we got the chicken out, let him recover, why, we'd have a nice chicken dinner. So back in those days we ate a lot of chicken."

1h 14min 32sec - voice of brother Shroeder

"Brother Rutherford... [unintelligible] ...with his shorthand experts. And whenever you'd talk to him he'd always be busy writing. You didn't know what he'd be writing about.  So he'd be doing that this day. And so he ripped it off and he gave it to me and said 'What do you think of it?' And it said 'Religion is a snare and a racket.' ... [unintelligible] '...that's pretty strong. As a matter of fact it's...' [unintelligible] ...Well, he said 'That's what I meant it to be.' So now he said '... [unintelligible] ... we're going to have a big information march two days from now. Couldn't Brother Clay and the priinting make up some signs "Religion is a snare and a racket" and put them on poles and have them for the parade. And Brother Knorr was also in one... [unintelligible] ...he and I led this parade. This parade was six miles long, a thousand brothers showed up for the parade. It really was a spectacle. Every second sign would be 'Religion is a snare and a racket.' And the bobbies, the police gave us protection as we went down Piccadilly Circus, Oxford Street, right in the center of London."

1h 15min 42sec - brother with glasses

"We'd put on these sandwich signs, you know, that had some kind of a message and slogans on it. And they'd give us a little sign that we carried, you know, on a stick."

1h 15min 53sec - again brother Chimiklis

"We had 'Religion is a snare and a racket.' Then you had to put on the other sign and said 'Boy, that's pretty strong.' And on the other side it said 'Serve God and Christ the King.'"

Thank You very much Eric. Now I understand what brother Shroeder said.

I don't understand second sentence of brother Adams: 1h 16min 55sec

and not everything is clear: 1h 10min 00sec about moonshine ;)

Could You help me?

... and i don't understand everything in the comments of:

- sister Samuelson - 1h 17min 26sec

- brother Malefant - 1h 18min 07sec

- brother Schock - 1h 18min 35sec

- brother Smith - 1h 19min 19sec

and

- brother Herd - 1h 20min 08sec

and it's everything.

This is the hardest part to translate of annual meeting. If someone have time... can help polish brothers and sisters ;)

I don't understand second sentence of brother Adams: 1h 16min 55sec

"They had adult-sized placards and they had little fellow placards. Well, I was only about four feet tall. But whenever I got there the little ones were gone. So I only got a big one that came underneath here and every time I took a step I kicked it with my feet. But it didn't make any difference. We enjoyed working with placards."

and not everything is clear: 1h 10min 00sec about moonshine ;)

"Another time I set up and started one of Brother Rutherford's lectures telling about the second coming of Christ. A few days afterwards, a person told me that his fellow moonshiner was set up in the woods making a run of moonshine, when all of a sudden here came a voice from above. [Rutherford's voice echoing through the woods] He got excited, and he took to running but he could not get away from the sound. He finally ran home to get his axe, and went back up there and chopped up his still. He said he did not want the Lord to catch him making moonshine at His coming. [unintelligible]"

- sister Samuelson - 1h 17min 26sec

"Nobody ever trained me in the ministry. So one day I was at the meeting, and the brother passed out the publishers' cards and I said 'Where's mine?' and he said 'Well, you don't get one. You're not a publisher.' And I said 'Well, what's that?' and he said 'You gotta go preaching.' I said 'How do you do that?' and he said 'Well, come on Saturday and go over there and get magazines.' And then I went out and he pointed me at a door. I was scared but I just went anyway, I didn't care."

- brother Malefant - 1h 18min 07sec

"One morning I was taking the group out in the field ministry, and a Navy man shows up at the Kingdom Hall. He's got his uniform on and I didn't know what to do so I took him door to door with me and it was really very interesting. So I thought it was pretty neat; me going door to door with a guy in the military standing next to me and I'm giving my presentations and he's got a Bible and following along with me. Of course, later one I learned really it's not the most appropriate thing to take someone in the military when you're going out in the ministry with you. But, at that time I did it."

- brother Schock - 1h 18min 35sec

"So my father in December said he's going to go out in service so I got ready... [unintelligible] ...Now, neither one of us had ever been out in service before. The presiding overseer handed my father a territory, and sent the two of us out together. My father said 'You take that side and I'll take this side.' And that's what it was like, and of course I was no more prepared than the man in the moon."

- brother Smith - 1h 19min 19sec

"As we got older there was a pioneer brother in the congregation that asked if I'd like to go with him to work with him. He carried a rifle in the back of his car, which I thought was kind of unusual. We'd see a rabbit, he's stop the car and shoot the rabbit, put it in the car. As we got toward the end of the day I would ask them do they know of any place where we could stay overnight. Because we were out in the ministry and that people, in two different instances I recall, they said 'You can stay with us.' One of them said 'Well, we don't have enough food for supper' and the brother said 'Well, I have a couple of rabbits here if you want to skin them,' so they did that. I don't think that this would work nowadays, carrying a rifle in the car. So it is not advised."

- brother Herd - 1h 20min 08sec

"It gradually became clear that the individual minister needed further [unintelligible]. So the brothers started perhaps the only school from which not one single, solitary person has ever graduated. The Theocratic Ministry School."

Edited by Eric_Milton

• 2 weeks later...