JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2014 WT Library

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3211 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I hear we should be getting our WT Library CDs soon.

The rumor is - it looks exactly the same as last year with some exceptions:

1. There are pictures for just the 2014 Watchtowers & Awake!s

2. There are pictures for the new Kingdom book

3. There are pictures , but NOT charts for the 2014 Yearbook.

If any of you get one, can you confirm.

It will be interesting to see when these start arriving at our various kingdom halls.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I hear it is only the pictures for the 2014 items - none of the rest and that the charts - especially the ones in the Yearbooks are NOT there either (not even the 2014 ones).

Perhaps soon some one can confirm.  :wave:  

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I hear it is only the pictures for the 2014 items - none of the rest and that the charts - especially the ones in the Yearbooks are NOT there either (not even the 2014 ones).

Noted, but still it is something new for the FDS. Who knows what they will include on the Watchtower libraries in years to come? It is exciting whenever they do something new, even if it's seemingly small.

I too hope that the pictures (AND CHARTS) will be added for everything and going back. 

This is the same reason I have bookshelves full of bound volumes and books.

Soon .....

This had me thinking about the yearbooks - as those charts are ones that I have often searched for.

I looked on line and see they are not in the wol.jw.org site either - http://m.wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/302014051

Instead they say (see publication):

[Chart on pages 178-187]

2013 Service Year Report of Jehovah’s Witnesses Worldwide

(See publication)

[Maps on pages 188-190]

(See publication)

[Chart on page 191]

SELECTED OFFICES OF JEHOVAH’S WITNESSES

(See publication)

Soon .....

Hence the need to keep all the publications all these years. I have often found when I am researching a subject for a return visit, I find an appropriate Watchtower article from say 2007, and it refers to all these pictures and graphs that would really help and it says (see publication). I then find myself asking everybody at the meeting over the next month "does ANYBODY have a 2007 bound volume Watchtower...anybody?".

I had been thinking, during those years, why dont we have an update system for WT Library??

I had wondered, it should be more simple and less expensive to download the main update instead of getting other CD-ROM... 

However, i´m sure brothers of Computers and Technology department may had thought  about it and had found very good reason to continue using this  system...

This as has been mentioned, is very exciting news. Especially with the thought they may do this with other

publications and the magazines. Think of how it would enhance our study to have the Insight Book with all of

it's pictures. That could easily be added to the J W Library. And the old magazines. That would remove the need

for keeping all of the old volumes and books.  Also many of these people online who are  these purveyors of

old Watchtower literature it would put out of business. And considering some of the exorbitant prices I have seen

some of them charge, I personally would be tickled to death to see their market dry up.

GStorrs46

I had wondered, it should be more simple and less expensive to download the main update instead of getting other CD-ROM...

Perhaps the system would not be able to cope with 8 Million people trying to download the program at the same time? WOL works so efficiently because it is essentially a Read-Only system, you are not actually downloading anything so to speak. I'm positive the servers would crash if we all tried downloading the Watchtower library from one source, at the same time. Perhaps also they might perceive some copy-right issues? I am just shooting in the dark now, I don't know.

What I do know is that the chariot isn't just moving, it's broken the sound barrier, gone into sonic boom and moving toward the speed of light: dragging us behind it like an old shoe attached to a car speeding down the highway.

Like I said though, who knows what is coming. Downloading it might well be a thing of the future. Certainly makes sense.

What if you could have the full WT Library CD on your Tablet?

This might be possible now as I have recently been looking at

these new Laptops called "2-in-1" because

1} It is a Laptop

2} The screen is "mobile"!  It detaches and is a complete Tablet!

These run Windows 7 or 8 or 8.1 and so if there is a

way to download the WT Library CD on it, then you could

sit at the KH or a park and have the full WT Library with you with no internet needed!

These are also "Touch Screens".

The initial "2-in-1" laptop/tablets I hear have some issues,

but the latest ones work very well but are a little expensive.

Does anyone else know about these and if the WT Library CD can be loaded on these?

Here are a couple of these that I have seen.   

These 2 are now at Best Buy.

Intel Core I3 Touch Screen 2-in-1 Laptop

HP Envy X2 2-in1 Touch Screen

If the WT Library CD can be loaded on these, I would likely try to save for one.

Since we don't know when or if the JW Library App will have the full WT library,

this might be a great option!  :)

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

Doesn't everyone have a full up-to-date library at their hall to access the older WT bound volumes to have access to Charts, Illustrations, Graphs?  Not as convenient as having it at home or on mobile unit...but is an option if you don't use it very often.

"Be imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises." Hebrews 6:12

What if you could have the full WT Library CD on your Tablet?

This might be possible now as I have recently been looking at

these new Laptops called "2-in-1" because

1} It is a Laptop

2} The screen is "mobile"!  It detaches and is a complete Tablet!

These run Windows 7 or 8 or 8.1 and so if there is a

way to download the WT Library CD on it, then you could

sit at the KH or a park and have the full WT Library with you with no internet needed!

These are also "Touch Screens".

The initial "2-in-1" laptop/tablets I hear have some issues,

but the latest ones work very well but are a little expensive.

Does anyone else know about these and if the WT Library CD can be loaded on these?

Here are a couple of these that I have seen.   

These 2 are now at Best Buy.

Intel Core I3 Touch Screen 2-in-1 Laptop

HP Envy X2 2-in1 Touch Screen

If the WT Library CD can be loaded on these, I would likely try to save for one.

Since we don't know when or if the JW Library App will have the full WT library,

this might be a great option!  :)

I am sharing with you 4 comments about this from a similar discussion on meekspace.org..hope it is helpful!

You can install the full CD Rom version on a tablet that runs the full version of 8.1 (PRO) just like on a Desktop/Laptop. I suggest copying all the files from the CD Install disc onto a usb drive or sd card and installing it that way. I hope this helps...

On a computer copy the WTL CD to a thumb drive and install the WTL on you tablet from the thumb drive. You will then have the full WTL on your tablet and it will be just like it is on your computer.

While you can't install the mobile version on this tablet you can install the full CD version of the WTL on it. The only tablet that you can do this is a windows tablet running the full windows 8.1 OS 

I copy my CDRom files into folders with the program names and I don't usually have a problem installing them that way. A win 8.1 pro tablet will run pc software. Hope this helps

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

I use the Watchtower Library on my Windows tablet.  However some points to keep in mind.  Windows desktop apps (like Watchtower Library)  are not really designed for touch screen, so you have a small tablet (7 or 8 in) then increase the scaling to 125% or 150%, or use a stylus.  Mine is an 8 inch tablet and came with a pen which also acts like a mouse.  A 10 in tablet is ok unless you have really chunky fingers.

There are some really cheap Windows tablet on sale now.  Not great specs, but good enough for the Library and other JW apps.

Personally..I prefer the pdb version using Isilo..on my phone and tablet..not all features but easy to navigate and can annotate..

Of course iSilo is much better than nothing :) , but I miss immensely WTL search capabilities. Using iSilo is like going back to paper and searching the Index manually, only onscreen.

I am not very thrilled by the new JW Library app either for that same reason.

You know I used to not like the search feature in iSilo, but if I am looking for one word or two together then I can find things fairly easy. With the older phones it used to lock up A LOT!, but now it searches fairly well.

I do agree the WTLibrary CD is superior.

Soon .....

Of course iSilo is much better than nothing :) , but I miss immensely WTL search capabilities. Using iSilo is like going back to paper and searching the Index manually, only onscreen.

I am not very thrilled by the new JW Library app either for that same reason.

I use the center menu to access the concordance and the rbi13 Bible in my Note tablet multi-window and Adobe reader next to it for pdf documents..that's because the JW Library app is not supported for the multi-window...I have Isilo on my Note 4 phone and use it frequently..

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

I noticed that the Online Library now subdivides the Watchtower into Public, Study, and Simplified.  And that Yearbooks are listed with Books.  Looking at the screen captures, the CD version does the same.

The Online Library has included pictures since 2013, strange they didn't include them also.  Maybe next year.