JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Just need to vent - Lack of natural affection!

Found a similar thread but didn't want to hijack it. So I'm starting a new one. Feel free to use it if needed.

So as I was driving my wife to work this morning, I spotted a blackbird on the road on the other lane, with a large limousine rolling towards it. The blackbird was easily visible and you could tell the other driver was slowing his car down, but since the bird didn't move, he or she obviously couldn't be bothered to brake and rolled over it, the blackbird disappearing between the two wheels of the car.

Shocked, we stopped on the side of the road and looked for the bird. The rush of the car passing over it had whirled the bird into the driveway of somebody's house. As I jumped out the car and rushed to it, I saw the poor creature fluttering about panically and obviously severly hurt.

For a brief, fleeting moment, I considered stomping on the poor creature that was obviously suffering.

Instead, though, I bent down and picked it up between my hands. Immediately, it grabbed hold of my finger and calmed down, but spastically jerking its' head back.

I rang the doorbell of a nearby home and an old man opened up the door dressed in a morning robe. Surprised but eager to help, he handed me a box and a stick to perch the bird on, and also held a flashlight at the poor animal so that we could examine the injury: blood on its' beak and the right eye torn out =o(

Put the bird in the box and took it to a local vet... all I know is it's still alive but the vet was too busy to tend to it.

I really hope the person driving that Audi or BMW saw me jump out and take responsibility for his or her own failure to give a rat's @$&! about a living, breathing, sentient creature! Was it really worth it to arrive at work 10 seconds earlier in exchange for this animal's life??

Talk about lack of natural affection!

I see things Ike this, and I want this system over, and fast! Then I get a grip. Lives are involved. Human lives. And we need to, "jump out of the car and save them". And we don't need, "to run over them" by ignoring our assign,ent!

I see so much road kill. So much. I just do my best to look away. I don't know how, but, I do know there won't be roadkill in the new system, or those who have no respect for life.

Poor bird. Thanks, brother.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

I had a sorta kinda not really similar experience years ago. I was coming home from work one morning in February and we were having a very unusual cold spell. As I was driving I noticed a robin in the middle of the road. After I passed it, I looked in the mirror and noticed it had not moved. So I stopped and went back. I stopped and opened my door and it did not move. So I figured it was freezing. I gently picked it up and placed inside my coat so I could warm it up.

I drove a few miles and then felt it moving around so I pulled over. I rolled down my window opened my jacket and held him up. He took off and appeared to be fine. He never looked back. Then I looked at the lining of my jacket and determined he was not freezing but merely constipated. I'm glad I helped him out.....I guess. 

I have had this happen many times in my life, only not ever with a bird again.

Nothing makes me sadder than to see a dead animal along the road or to mistakingly hit an animal myself without meaning to or to see someone else hit one (even swerving out of their lane to kill on purpose!) It pretty much always brings tears of sorrow to my eyes. So I'm hoping the promise at Rev. 21:3,4 means that there will be no more roadkill. I can't imagine making friends with a beautiful, loving panda in the new system and then to walk down a familiar trail and find it dead - that would definitely bring tears of sorrow to my eyes and heart.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

When I was around 5 some older teens - all boys, wrapped their dogs chain around my cat and caused their dog to maul my cat to death and then went as far as to practically threaten my mom for trying to get the attacking dog off....It's a good thing I was only 5..If it happened now I do believe I would probably chase someone O.O I can't handle animals being mistreated!

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

When I was around 5 some older teens - all boys, wrapped their dogs chain around my cat and caused their dog to maul my cat to death and then went as far as to practically threaten my mom for trying to get the attacking dog off....It's a good thing I was only 5..If it happened now I do believe I would probably chase someone O.O I can't handle animals being mistreated!

Woah, that's some genuine wickedness right there!

Yes it was! I have seen so much injustice done to animals - My heart goes out to you and the little black bird...I used to have a wild raven/large crow that used to follow me around the front yard. I would feed it bird seed, small cereal etc. and it would pull on the bottom of my pants leg if it got hungry. I believe a cat may have got it....I will be glad in the new system when humans and animals can live in perfect harmony! ^_^

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

So sad!  My daughter and I have also tried to save injured birds that we have come upon.  Unfortunately, little birds die so easily.  But I get comfort in knowing that their last few hours were spent somewhere warm, and out of danger.  I often think of how Jehovah views every bird that falls out of the sky, how he personally knows what is happening to every creature, and of course how much more he cares for us.

So if we do take the time to help a little creature, it is a good act made out of a good heart, and shows that we are made of the right stuff for the paradise. 

"Two sparrows sell for a coin of small value,* do they not? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground without your Father’s knowledge." - Matt 10:29

Oh my... ;_;

Not too long ago I was with a friend and I saw a turtle in the middle of the road trying to get to the pond across the street. I pulled over to get it out of the road. Line of cars were swerving to get away from hitting the poor little turtle. They were slowing down and you could see them obviously making a dramatic swerve to get away from the turtle. As I was running down the street to get the turtle a minivan can by and obviously seeing all these cars, but ends up running over the turtle. I was so angry that I even started chasing the minivan and screaming at the woman, calling her an idiot. I still complain to my friend how mad I am at that woman.

And then for the first time ever, I hit a bird recently. I keep a box of rubber gloves in my car so I can move dead cats from the road, or for moments like that. I put on gloves and found the bird. I held the bird in my hands; unfortunately, the poor little thing was dead. His neck had snapped on impact. I got a bit teary eyed, and buried the bird under a flower bush. (For my fellow New Yorkers: the bird is by Giorgios).

It saddens me when an animal dies that I try to save. And your story makes me sad. But it also makes me happy to see how much you cared. I understand the anger you feel, like I did for that minivan woman. But we can't do anything for their ignorance. You can only keep moving forward. I've also saved a lot of animals, and I'm sure you'll do the same. Keep you chin up, Brother!

~Van

I love animals, but my wife is simply crazy about them.

Every time we see dogs wandering by the road, we stop and take them to a veterinary to read their chip information. Then we take them to their owners or, if there are no owners, to a dog caring association. Once we found a huge mastiff puppy looking for food in the trash containers and took it home. It stayed with us for a couple months until an association found a family willing to adopt it... in Germany!

Fortunately it seems there are not so many abandoned dogs here in the last years. We spent a vacation in Greece recently and there were abandoned dogs everywhere. :(

I stop to assist turtles to get across the road, when it is safe. :surrender:  My sister says I also stop for butterflies. :huh:  I only slow down for them. :whistling:

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

My 160 pound American bulldog -his

Picture is posted in this forum- had surgery for a shattered behind leg on Dec 23rd last week. When I came home from work 2 weeks ago he did not run up to greet me as did the others. U called and for Mijo and heard his whimpering from inside his dog house. He came limping out and I helped him inside the house. It was obvious his leg was broke completely in two- I touched it gently and he cried out in agony. I called a mobile vet who came and x-rayed his leg and said she would have to take the xeay back to develop it. She said that there were no marks of any kind in him that would indicate he had been hit by a car--no tire marks, road rash etc. The swelling was so severe she gave him medication to help reduce it and started himnon codiene, vetprofen and xanax. She would return the next day to splint his leg-due to his size-she said it was like working on a small horse --it would be a few days before surgery was possible to lend time for the swelling to reduce.

The X-ray showed the leg was completly shattered in two place. She (mobile vet) then our family vet said it appeared he had taken a 'Direct hit' to his leg. When it finally sunk in what they met I was sickened. He is the definition of gentleness and love. The vets said surgery was not possible because of the severity of the shatter so he casted it and said we must hope it heels. I thought it best to put him to sleep but my husband could not bear the thought of losing him. So he is staying at the bar with my husband where he can attend to Mijo while I am at work. Mijo has become a celebrity and all the customers have been signing his cast! The younger ones even get down on his baby mattress and live and scratch him. Some even bring him chicken! Rick said when Mijo gets tired of all the attention he struggles to get behind the bar to lay down and he cries real tears which stain his face. Not the pretend crying that my little Boston dies fir attention. I pray we did not make a mistake by treating him and causing his life to be racked with pain.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

The X-ray showed the leg was completly shattered in two place. She (mobile vet) then our family vet said it appeared he had taken a 'Direct hit' to his leg. When it finally sunk in what they met I was sickened. He is the definition of gentleness and love.

You mean somebody struck him with a bat?

My sister says I also stop for butterflies. :huh:  I only slow down for them. :whistling:

About ten years ago I was driving home across a field from my mom's place when I suddenly I ended up in a storm of millions of Painted Ladies migrating. I slowed down first but then I realised I had to actually stop or thousands would all end up in my grill. It took ages for the spectacle to pass, but as I watched, I saw about a dozen cars just drive through the swarm, even if slowly. Only one other lady stopped and watched the breathtaking phenomenon from inside her car.

Yes, sad to say, both vets agreed it was a pipe, bat, tree limb or sine other type object. We live in a beautiful rural area and have had problems with a neighbors teenage sons who gave been arrested and placed in a juvenile detention center for theft from hImes in our area. Also not to be ruled out is I had a package delivered UPS that day and would hate to think the carrier could be responsible. I could see a carrier driving into the driveway and Mijo approaching him to get a pat or a scratch or just to see who was in the vehicle but it makes me sick to think of what could have transpired. Cruelty, nothing else to say.

I would have lived to experienced the butterflies!

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!