JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Jehovah's Witnesses buy Fishkill apartments

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3092 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Jerry,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Also thanks for all the reporting you did while you had your special two weeks

of service at Warwick. You make others of us ( especially those with construction backgrounds ) envious of your experi-

ence. But at least we are in a better position to see what progress is being made at Warwick.

As for the facilities themselves, thanks you John for the beautiful pictures of the apartments, both inside and out, and the

facilities as a whole. They surely rank as "luxury" apartments. No wonder some are already up in arms over a " non-profit"

group getting the benefit of them. And as always when we purchase any property or word Jehovah's witnesses are moving

in there is an uproar over how it is going to affect taxes, the economies of the area etc. And to some extent you cannot fault

local officials in that. That is what they are paid to do their jobs for. However the good example we have set in other

areas should downplay the concerns of all except the very fanatic.. And of course we know they will never be satisfied.

I think it is sad some various residents express concern over being " turned out " as it were, on Christmas Eve. To my

mind that smacks of the journalist trying to paint us in the image of Scrooge. Particularly since it is widely known we do

not celebrate Christmas. Anything to slander Jehovah's people. Especially since this is to be used for building our new

Headquarters. Satan never gives it a rest. Poisoning minds of everyone against us that he can.

On the other hand it only shows how cautious the brothers will have to be in the way they handle all of these things. At

the same time they have truly obtained some beautiful properties to assist those who volunteer to go and work at both

Warwick and Toledo. ( By the way how much is still going on at Toledo Jerry  ? ). Talk about going to work in paradise ! !

One would not want to come back ! Of course these, since they are luxury apartments, may go to those who have given

the most and made the most sacrifices for the work there at Warwick. Perhaps serving as permanant quarters for them

until the project is complete. That would certainly be in harmony with the fact that our God Jehovah " remembers our work

and the love you have shown for his name". ( Heb. 6:10 ) So again, thanks to all  of you brothers for sharing this news with

us. As I have said before it is only one of the reasons it is such a joy to be a part of this forum. May Jehovah bless you.

GStorrs46

I think we may be jumping the gun just a bit. There are millions upon millions of nice places in which to live throughout the world, whether they are houses, condos, apartments, etc. We just don't know what the angels will be directed to save or destroy when it comes to buildings outside of the Jehovah's organisation.

In Israelite times, it was rare for opposing cities to be completely flattened, since the opposition was against the occupants rather than the buildings.

In the great tribulation, the same principle applies. There will be witnesses living in apartment buildings along with unbelievers, will they be killed or made homeless simply because the apartment isn't a WT-owned building? There will be some on vacation living in worldly hotels, will they be forced to return to their home country in the middle of the GT in order to follow the direction to go to their inner rooms?

The earth isn't going to be miraculously transformed into a paradise overnight when the GT hits, only the opposers will be removed, it's the job of humans to clean up the aftermath and make it a paradise, and that cleanup does include destruction of worldly buildings.

Wow that is a lot of money! I was hoping my donations would be used for something else besides a tennis court and swimming pool.

Don't mind me, I'll crawl back into my one roomed flat I share with two others

For short-term housing, it's cheaper to buy than it is to build, and when the new branch construction is finished they'll be able to sell the upgraded and repaired apartment complex for more than they paid in the first place.

Stavro, your idea makes sense from a practical point of view;  Buy it  - Use it  -  Sell it.  However, the WB&T Society is a non-profit organization.  If they were to engage in buying, improving and selling for a profit, would that not jeopardize their tax exempt status?

The brothers need to handle these purchases carefully for another reason - rest assured in the local area the word is out - Watchtower is BUYING.  I can imagine the asking price for a multi-family property is going up for that reason alone.

Non-profit does not mean they cannot earn money, it means there can be no income-earning shareholders.

The corporation itself can earn as much money as it wants, by donations or by business transactions, as it has with the ongoing sales of the Brooklyn buildings, worth over a Billion dollars in total.

As with the many things that are purchased with dedicated funds, I fully trust the FAITHFUL AND DISCREET SLAVE in their use and handling the MASTER'S interests.

Think how much PRAYER is involved with the many ventures they are involved in. ☺

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

It will mean "selective destruction" for Jehovah to preserve all of the Branches, Assembly Halls, Printeries,Resident facilities, Kingdom Halls, etc. that are considered Watchtower buildings..if it is Jehovah's will to do so..

And it will mean the governments will have to leave these buildings alone when they turn on God's people.  

"Let's destroy the Jehovah's Witnesses.  But don't harm any of their buildings!"

Edited by Shawnster

I believe you're correct, Stavro, on the question of non-profits earning as much money as they can, in particular through donations.  The not-for-profit status must have more to do with what they do with their funds, such as feeding the hungry, disaster relief etc.

Just the same, I think we agree that the Slave has never sought financial gain from this world. When MEPS was first developed, the story was that commercial interests wanted to license use of the program and were willing to pay whatever. But the Slave wasn't interested in their money.

The Brooklyn properties have increased in value, to be sure. But again, I doubt the decision to sell had anything to do with reaping a profit. It was time to move out to the country and away from the ageing infrastructure of the city.

I can see the Slave keeping these newly acquired properties. Perhaps there will be more commuting Bethelites in the future, such as professional brothers and sisters with children. Or housing for training schools. In any case, it will be interesting to see if more apartment buildings are on their radar.

The Brooklyn properties have increased in value, to be sure. But again, I doubt the decision to sell had anything to do with reaping a profit.

I agree that the slave isn't looking for financial gain. But my point is that between the many millions of dollars of Brooklyn sales, and apartments/hotels near Warwick with an asking price lower than it would cost to build from scratch, it's unlikely that this temporary housing is cutting into the donated funds by any significant amount.

• 1 month later...

FISHKILL – The Jehovah's Witnesses church envisions a working church complex adjacent to the apartment development that the organization recently bought in the Town of Fishkill, the town supervisor says. The move could result in hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost tax revenue for the town and the Beacon City School District.

The potential exists for the group to claim a religious exemption from property taxes on both, though it would be at least a year before either claim would be likely to come up.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/story/news/local/2015/02/16/jehovahs-witnesses-envisoin-fishkill-complex/23527469/

FULL STORY REMOVED.  PLEASE REMEMBER TO POST ONLY SNIPPETS OF NEWS STORIES AND LINK TO ENTIRE ARTICLE

Edited by Shawnster

Many may not know but in Brooklyn we owned many apartment complexes and hotels. To house bethelites. The prices are not going up just because of the GB buying, this area has always been expensive. NY is expensive. It's just that simple. Compared to NY prices this is not that expensive. Where my grandparent in laws live in brooklyn, a studio apartment is selling for 500,000 and it doesnt' even have a bathroom-you have to use a public shared bathroom with the rest of the building. 

The society has never used our donations frivolously, always well thought out and directed by Jehovah. They have NEVER asked us to donate a certain amount or to donate at all. If you don't feel you agree with the societies usage of donations, then it's up to you to donate or not. Jehovah's will will find a way to be done.  

Wow that is a lot of money! I was hoping my donations would be used for something else besides a tennis court and swimming pool.

Don't mind me, I'll crawl back into my one roomed flat I share with two others

It's called trusting the ones in charge. They have reason!

Besides pools are awesome. My husband knew a brother who built pools for the society I'm several places.

Non-profit does not mean they cannot earn money, it means there can be no income-earning shareholders.

The corporation itself can earn as much money as it wants, by donations or by business transactions, as it has with the ongoing sales of the Brooklyn buildings, worth over a Billion dollars in total.

I work for a non profit hospital.... Trust they make money. They are required to show how the money is used. And what is tax exempt.

In the hospitals case one requirement is we can't turn people away especially without insurance.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard that there is a special skylight that is in the GB conference room and they open it when they have their meetings. Then a voice comes thru it telling them what properties to buy and when. :lol1:

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Personally I have no doubt that Jehovah is directly the brothers on what they are doing. If you listen to the brothers experience about the purchasing of the Farm and on into his interview... for me it was touching. Although I have never doubted that Jehovah directs the brothers on their purchasing of things and broadening out. It may seem from a human stand point to be nothing, but Jehovah no doubt lays down pathways for his will to be done.

To be honest, I've been upset about this news.  I'm not trying to be critical but I was in tears about this the other night because I don't feel its right to purchase luxury apartments when there are congregations screaming for a Kingdom Hall.

I'm reminded of Jesus when he admired the needy widow who put in two small coins of very little value in the coin box.  That woman put in all that she had.  Today, many brothers and sisters will follow her example, putting the little means that they have in the coin box.  Where does that money get spent? On luxury items so it seems for those who work at our Headquarters.  I can't justify this up with my Bible trained conscience.  All this in mind, that money is to further the world wide work, and yet we are encouraged to use less literature to save money.  It really had me very upset the other night and I spent a great deal of time praying about it in tears.

Sorry, I don't mean to be critical, but it just doesn't feel right.  I'm spending 70 hours a month in service in very basic accommodation which is what we're encouraged to do, and then these luxury apartments are purchased for those at the top.  

On a more positive note, I wouldn't mind trying that swimming pool! lol

It is easy to play arm chair quarter back and say if I was in charge I would do things differently...

I have been involved in the purchase and upkeep of many properties owned the the society ...

Believe me every cent is accounted for and they are fully aware of the 12,000 plus kingdoms halls that are needed worldwide..

We may say wow 57 million for over 60 buildings including streets .. Sewers .. Lighting .. Water ..

The last Kingdom Hall I was working on in Vancouver cost 5 million to build .. We are planning on building new Kingdom Halls that will cost a lot more...if we had to buy that facility here it would cost 3 times as much ... To me it is bargin to have something of medium quality ( yes medium quality by industry standards) that they can use.. And change as the needs change ... And we don't have to call in another 500 workers to build this facility...

So do you really think that this site is for some "special" brothers and sisters to live in the lap of luxury .. Or is it the fact that they are desperate for accommodations to house all the ones that are working at the new facilities.. And that they are using dedicated funds in very responsible manner... it is is a very slippery slope to go down and say that the GB is not discreet in looking after Jesus belongings...

The only ones that are benefiting from this is ... Those whom we preach to.. After all that is why this organization exists...

Edited by TheDoorGuy

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

I'm spending 70 hours a month in service in very basic accommodation which is what we're encouraged to do, and then these luxury apartments are purchased for those at the top.  

"Those at the top"? You mean those who work in construction, cafeteria, landscaping, etc? These aren't Ritz-Carlton quality apartments reserved exclusively for the GB and branch committee members (all of whom currently live in Brooklyn, and after the move they'll live on-site at Warwick), they are simply the most efficient housing option for the current needs.

And if the word "luxury" is causing offense, here's some review sites that might set your mind at ease.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/rivercrest-luxury-apartments-wappingers-falls

http://www.apartmentratings.com/ny/wappingers-falls/rivercrest-luxury-apartments_845831700012590/

Despite the "luxury" name, over half of the reviews are negative, the most common complaints being the high-crime area and cheap construction.