JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Jehovah's Witnesses buy Fishkill apartments

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3094 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I grew up in the "hood". As a teenager, other adults and teens were jealous of my clothing for meetings... and I started calling them when there was a sale, til one yelled at me that they didn't have money for sale clothing... I was paying 1 dollar per a dress, at these "sales". I thought by calling them and letting them know when the 1 dollar sales were they could quit being jealous... didn't work... I was still dressing above the rest. At this point, I kind of refuse to believe that they didn't pay more then 1 dollar for their "cheaper" clothing. I did have upscale clothing from upscale stores... I just bought out of season when they were ready to just get it out of there store so they could have the racks for the money makers... and yeah I only paid 1 dollar each.

The society has always had NICE living arrangements bought at rock bottom prices.. because they have always used their money to the best that they can. They have done all they can do to put more and more KH's up as well.

let's examine this transaction in detail.

According to corporate records, the property contains 250 units, at an average of 1300 Square Feet (Ft2) per unit, a total of 325,000 Ft2 of interior living space (excluding parking and common areas).

According to county clerk records, the property sold for a total of $57 million.

According to these stats, the purchase price is $175.38/Ft2 of living space.

For comparison purposes, the national average building cost of a single-family home costs $125/Ft2, and an apartment unit is $150/Ft2. These rates exclude the costs of land, necessary access roads, parking, utility hookup, environmental studies, permits, etc.

Once these necessary costs are cared for, then the branch would be able to BEGIN construction, at least one full year after submitting the plans for approval, with a completion time of three to five years.

And in the mean time, there's one inconvenient fact. During the construction of these theoretical purpose-built apartments, the workers are volunteers who need a place to sleep... So, do they bring in even more workers to build housing for the workers to build the housing for the workers to build Warwick? Do they spend money on secular hotel/apartment accommodations, and end up with the same exact complaints? Or do they skip the overly long, expensive, and unnecessary steps and simply buy accommodations for the Warwick workers directly?

No matter how we approach the problem, spending money on housing is unavoidable. So rather than criticizing the slave's management of funds based on a single misleading marketing term, let's trust that they are doing the best that they can with the limited resources they have.

Also full time bethelites have actually signed a vow of poverty.... what you consider the lap of luxury living on 50 dollars a month.

Its up to $140 now. :bouncing:

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

To be honest, I've been upset about this news. I'm not trying to be critical but I was in tears about this the other night

In TEARS? Oh my. All I can think of is if your diet is OK. I know when I am not eating right my hormones can get out of balance like that and then I can tear up over the craziest things.

There is a good forum here for dieting ideas. :thumbsup:

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

wow I had not heard that trit... still that's for all their above needs, and setting aside for "retirement" etc etc... not a lot for all the work that they do. (not that they are complaining, just in perspective) They are literally giving their lives to Jehovah. Away from loved ones and family, living on a poverty income. having a decent place to rest their head I don't think is unreasonable.

wow I had not heard that trit... still that's for all their above needs, and setting aside for "retirement" etc etc... not a lot for all the work that they do. (not that they are complaining, just in perspective) They are literally giving their lives to Jehovah. Away from loved ones and family, living on a poverty income. having a decent place to rest their head I don't think is unreasonable.

That is to cover their transportation costs, phone calls, make-up, personal items, money for vacations and etc.

Soon .....

Wow... hot topic ^_^

Why be so anxious about this operation ?

Mat 24:45 => The "faithful and discreet slave"... is faithful and discreet... is "appointed by the master" and guided by the holy spirit

So, who are we to say : "my opinion ? He's not so faithful and discreet..."

If we're going in that direction, we could be reprimanded with the same sentences used by Jehovah in job's case : aren't you "speaking without knowledge ?"

Yes , where were we when the decision was taken ... What exactly did we know about this awesome project of relocation ?

But, if we continue with Mat 24:45, we can ask : did this operation stop the slave to give food a the proper time ?

Think about all the printed food we have...

plus now the monthly TV program,

plus information online available in 714 languages

Plus specifics apps (language, library, sign language)

Plus the revised NWT

Plus the new program of construction

Plus all new videos for young and teenagers

Plus, plus, plus

Equal => a very very very faithful and discreet slave

So don't be anxious.... :uhhuh:

My last thought of the day : do you really think that, after one hundred years of reign, the earthly part of god organization should always have a little tent or a wonderful temple dedicated to the true worship? (see Isaiah 60:17)

Edited by peper-eliot

In TEARS? Oh my. All I can think of is if your diet is OK. I know when I am not eating right my hormones can get out of balance like that and then I can tear up over the craziest things.

There is a good forum here for dieting ideas. :thumbsup:

Hormones?? aaawww..nice to know a brother who understands! My husband tears up too! I think it is sweet!

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

That is to cover their transportation costs, phone calls, make-up, personal items, money for vacations and etc.

When I said above costs, I didn't mean literally written above, I meant, above any real needs-IE roof, food, above the basic needs that are provided for them. Like you brought out everything else that is not a basic need... comes out of that income. When I re-read what I wrote, I see how that could be confusing. lol

I don't expect them to give their lives at the temple (sort of speak) with below poverty income, rarely seeing their family, friends/loved ones, and also have to live in a shack.

BTW, I have no idea how they will run the pool if they use it. But, I know the Basket Ball court in Brooklyn out of their poverty income they have to pay for usage of it. (electricity for the lights etc). That comes out of their "income". So most possibly any usage of the pool will come out of their income as well, if they even have usage of the pool.

I couldn't or didn't understand what some of the ruckus was about concerning the society's new living arrangements until I read it and took a look at the pictures of these apartments. And my conclusion was: WOW! Another obvious blessing from Jehovah!!! I mean, Jehovah only gives the best right? Right.

Now before some of us who are living in obvious less than the best living situations (based on personal opinion or in some cases actually indeed less than the best living situations), have we thought perhaps Jehovah is allowing those of us who are the opportunity to prove our appreciation for the blessings we do have? I admit that time to time I browse real estate sites and drool over some of the homes posted while dreaming, yet at the same time getting on myself for not being smart to use or save up some of my pennies to have a house of my own.

But it's no dream is it? Nope! We ALL will own a home! Soon! We ALL, all over the world, will have not just the best of the best but BETTER than the best in Jehovah's new world!!!

Edited by Luezette

I don't often use this term except for in actual prayer, but sister Luezette, Amen! That is exactly.

I lived for 10 years in the "projects" in Queens, crazy to say, but it was the best place either my husband or I had ever lived before... that says a lot about the places we grew up in! lol haha We thought we were moving on up, as they say!! lol We were very happy there, although others thought down on the "projects". I never was shot at once while living there... to give you just a hint of my growing up and sleeping on the floor so stray drive by bullets didn't hit us in the night.

However, in NYC my husband did not have a job that made it easy or even possible to get to some meetings regularly and we would have to fanagle going to different ones, etc etc. So when we told our CO of our plans of downsizing and moving out of the city and to Kansas... and living at a lower cost/speed of life to raise our children with one cong, and all their meetings, vs here and there with a main central cong, but still catching up with others... He told us of his own life story. How he and his wife had built a house that was awesome and huge, and was even featured in home magazines about how beautiful it was. Later they sold it because the upkeep was taking too much time from service/meetings. It was not easy for them to give up... but they were blessed, and some how came across a much cheaper home which eventually they also built up again and it too was featured in home magazines... then they were offered the opportunity for him to serve as a CO. They again loved their physical home, but gave it up for more blessings from Jehovah to basically live in tents (from place to place! not really any real home of their own). And how happy they are.

We all have our sacrifices to make for the truth, some more then others... but in the end Jehovah will not forsake us or forget us... we will all be richly blessed in the end.

Heather, my life growing up were spent in tenements, cold tenements with some summers spent in the South. When I began "smelling" myself and didn't want to abide by my mother's strict yet (I know now) loving rules, I rented a room. Then another. Then the kids came because I "knew" better and went back to tenement living. Now I'm living in the "projects" too. Some put living in the projects as a step down and materially maybe it is. But I have excellent heat, get any needed repairs done at a reasonable time, free gas and lights and there's a community center and laundry room in my building. What more can I ask for in this system as far as living arrangements areconcerned? Oh! And i pay only $221 rent for all of that. And I forgot too that we have a security guard on duty, even if it's up to 11pm. Something's better than nothing.

Yes, I still want a home thus the browsing of sites time to time. But Jehovah promises that if we're faithful till the end he'll "satisfy the desire of every living thing."

Heather, my life growing up were spent in tenements, cold tenements with some summers spent in the South. When I began "smelling" myself and didn't want to abide by my mother's strict yet (I know now) loving rules, I rented a room. Then another. Then the kids came because I "knew" better and went back to tenement living. Now I'm living in the "projects" too. Some put living in the projects as a step down and materially maybe it is. But I have excellent heat, get any needed repairs done at a reasonable time, free gas and lights and there's a community center and laundry room in my building. What more can I ask for in this system as far as living arrangements areconcerned? Oh! And i pay only $221 rent for all of that. And I forgot too that we have a security guard on duty, even if it's up to 11pm. Something's better than nothing.

Yes, I still want a home thus the browsing of sites time to time. But Jehovah promises that if we're faithful till the end he'll "satisfy the desire of every living thing."

How many blocks are you from Bethel?  I was surprised at how much I liked Brooklyn when we visited in 2010.  If I had to live in NYC, Brooklyn would be at the top of the list to look for a place.

I've never actually counted the blocks because I have to take the train to Bethel and then walk the rest of the way, though that's not long either. But to answer your question in itself, after one particular route, it's about 4-5 blocks tops I guess. A sister said walking like that isn't necessary because there's a bus to take the rest of the way but because I like the area and being in the midst of the friends when they're walking to and after lunch, the distance is no problem. Plus right near Bethel there's the water front called the Promenade. A very huge picnic or recreation area was created there sort of an extension I guess of the Promenade. And they're building another something (can't think of it right now).

Yes, Brooklyn is one beautiful city! I wouldn't trade it for another city here in New York for the world. Each "section" of Brooklyn has its own particular flavor and vitality. And often there's a mixture of flavors in each "section" which makes Brooklyn even more beautiful and alive.

Edited by Luezette

The society's moving gives us a sort of sweet and bitter taste in our mouths. Sweet because it's so obvious Jehovah is blessing his people, bitter because so many of us will miss them dearly!

Those of us living here in NYC will miss the close proximity and the convenience of just popping in for whatever, often for literature, just a train ride away. We will miss having them at our meetings.

But this is Jehovah's will. So that's that. There will, no doubt, be many more changes as we get closer to the end so I guess we'd better get used to it eh?

I have an idea that when the nation of Israel was giving the contributions for the temple there were very poor people - yet, they gathered massive amount of gold, silver and other precious things for the temple. One could have asked the same questions then, but Jehovah still blessed the building of that temple.

The same is true in our day. Jehovah is blessing the woke we do .... who am I to question the owner of the Universe how he wants his possessions used.

One never knows .... if these living accommodations are for temporary use and we care for them the same way we do for the rest of the buildings the "ones at the top" care for, we may be able to sell them for a considerable larger amount then what we paid for them ... will you still cry then?

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Luezette, exactly how it was for us in the "projects" free electric, heat, well taken care of, nice security, etc etc. I felt safer there then any where else I ever lived. Personally had we not had children we would still be living there. I would recommend the projects we lived in for any one really.

Not all part of Brooklyn are as nice as around Bethel though that is for sure! lol haha Where we lived in brooklyn not so nice, (before moving to the projects). lol It scared many born NYCer's! lol haha However, still better then where I grew up funnily enough! My grandfather in law thought he had to give me a little street savvy talk... not knowing I grew up in a much worse area, and my family were usually the ones committing the crimes I needed to be savvy of!

I did miss the parts of Bethel that moved away from Brooklyn already when I was living there...certainly bittersweet. But, for sure no doubt in my mind, I can already see there can be many blessings from this move.

Oh yes Heather, lol, I have to admit there are a few "sections" of Brooklyn that one definitely have to be street savvy.lol. But then because I've always lived in sections like that it's really no problem for me. It's a shame to think this way but when I hear gun shots, I just say to myself "gun shots" and continue what I'm doing without losing a step. A real shame. Where I live in Brooklyn, there's a dense population of drugs, etc.Yet you know something? I love them! Yes I do because I too was once there and know what they're going through. It's sad.

Yet all in all, Brooklyn is the place to live! Now if you want a vital place to visit in NYC, then the lower east side, commonly called the village is that place! Talk about vitality! There's no shortage of interest there and I'm not referring to interest in the good news. I'm referring to the myriads of different people. I've actually met an ex professional dancer there. There are artists, etc. What an area!

Edited by Luezette

I have an idea that when the nation of Israel was giving the contributions for the temple there were very poor people - yet, they gathered massive amount of gold, silver and other precious things for the temple. One could have asked the same questions then, but Jehovah still blessed the building of that temple.

The same is true in our day. Jehovah is blessing the woke we do .... who am I to question the owner of the Universe how he wants his possessions used.

One never knows .... if these living accommodations are for temporary use and we care for them the same way we do for the rest of the buildings the "ones at the top" care for, we may be able to sell them for a considerable larger amount then what we paid for them ... will you still cry then?

This is a brilliant line of reasoning.  

I spent a lot of time in the village as well, when we lived there. I actually worked in the village myself. Chelsea. I met and actually worked with a ex "fly" girl, and also Luther Vandross personal assistant, Mother Love... many people.

One thing about where I grew up it taught me to be able to witness to any one! The sad part is, as bad as Brooklyn was where my husband grew up... when we moved to Kansas and he is now a trash man... he can't believe the neighborhood I grew up in. Many of his workmates are afraid to do that area on their route. And when it is review time, and he has a district (that goes all over the USA) manager ride along... he even asked my husband if it was always that bad! IE my husband being yelled at and called names because he refuses to come in side and have sex with the woman with many children from obviously different daddies all around her legs, etc! The shootings etc etc... lol haha Although I admit we get down when the shootings happen, came with lots of training in school. lol haha I went to the fourth most violent high school in the USA (considered such because of the number of deaths in school during school hours). So I get ya for sure. The sad sad thing is, for my generation and even my mom's generation... every one is dead sooo young. That's just very sad to me. Very few people left I grew up with, and my parents and only one of their friends is all that is left of their generation that I grew up knowing pretty much. We need Jehovah.

All of this growth for JW Broadcasting and the carts etc etc... Jehovah is making it possible for us to reach sooo many now a days we wouldn't of in the past. We can for sure see this growth has Jehovah's hand right in it!

What popped into my mind..maybe these will be used to house the righteous who may be resurrected first..Abraham..Isaac..Moses..Abel.........just a thought..we don't know yet for certain the resurrection details..Wow would that be a new environment!attachicon.gifHello!~01~01.jpg

Interesting that it's taken for granted that these ones will be resurrected into the USA... what about the rest of the world ?

I would be amazed if these apartments etc have been bought for this reason ! Unless the GB know that they have recieved their sealing and GT etc and they know the time scale involved.

I'm sure that eventually we will find out the reasoning behind this, until then I trust the slave in their dealings.

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

Interesting that it's taken for granted that these ones will be resurrected into the USA... what about the rest of the world ?

I would be amazed if these apartments etc have been bought for this reason ! Unless the GB know that they have recieved their sealing and GT etc and they know the time scale involved.

I'm sure that eventually we will find out the reasoning behind this, until then I trust the slave in their dealings.

I really, really, REALLY doubt the Slave is following similar mistaken thinking that lead to the development of "Beth-Sarim" back in the 20s.

*** jv chap. 7 p. 76 Advertise the King and the Kingdom! (1919-1941) ***
acquiring that property and building the house was that there might be some tangible proof that there are those on earth today who fully believe God and Christ Jesus and in His kingdom, and who believe that the faithful men of old will soon be resurrected by the Lord, be back on earth, and take charge of the visible affairs of earth.”

A few years after Brother Rutherford’s death, the board of directors of the Watch Tower Society decided to sell Beth-Sarim. Why? “The Watchtower” of December 15, 1947, explained: “It had fully served its purpose and was now only serving as a monument quite expensive to keep; our faith in the return of the men of old time whom the King Christ Jesus will make princes in ALL the earth (not merely in California) is based, not upon that house Beth-Sarim, but upon God’s Word of promise.” 

[Footnote]
At the time, it was believed that faithful men of old times, such as Abraham, Joseph, and David, would be resurrected before the end of this system of things and would serve as “princes in all the earth,” in fulfillment of Psalm 45:16. This view was adjusted in 1950, when further study of the Scriptures indicated that those earthly forefathers of Jesus Christ would be resurrected after Armageddon.—See “The Watchtower,” November 1, 1950, pages 414-17.

Personally, I don't think any man-made structures will survive Armageddon.  Maybe whatever structures the Armageddon survivors are in at the time of the Great Day, but that's it, in my opinion.

If man-made structures won't survive, buying these apartments for a future group of people would be pointless.

If man-made structures will survive, Jehovah isn't going to first inspect the county clerk's office and preserve only those structures on record as being owned by the WTBTS.

There have been many other apartment complexes and hotels purchased in the Warwick region, all of which have been assigned for current and near-future housing needs. But since so many have been caught up in the "luxury" label, this particular purchase has been singled out for increased scrutiny and criticism of the slave's decisions. Meanwhile, hundreds of millions of dollars of spending elsewhere has went entirely unnoticed, primarily because the money went somewhere besides a mislabeled "luxury" property.

Just curious, out of those who are in favor of the "Mount Ebo Complex" purchase, how many would be handing out torches and pitchforks if the original developers had instead given it the name "Mount Ebo Luxury Office Suites"?